Relax And Enjoy The Process
Unlike other methods for building glutes, this one doesnt hurt. Youll be asked to lie on your stomach on an exam table while youre strapped in and mitt-like paddles are placed on your butt cheeks. You may notice some tingling in your glutes. The sensation is somewhat similar to that of your foot falling asleeponly in this context your glutes are falling asleepnothing more. In other words, just because your glutes will be getting the most intense workout theyve ever experienced doesnt mean you cant relax. On the contrary, youll enjoy the warm, euphoric rush of achieving something good for your body while not having to work at all.
What Are The Glute Muscles
Your glutes are made up of three major muscles: the gluteus maximus, medius and minimus. Together, these muscles serve as hip rotators, hip extensors and lateral abductors , according to the American Council on Exercise .
- The gluteus maximus Ã¢ the largest muscle of the three Ã¢ plays a number of roles in your everyday movement and stability. It works mainly to extend and laterally rotate the hip.
- The gluteus medius lies underneath the gluteus maximus and moves the leg away from the midline .
- The gluteus minimus Ã¢ the smallest, fan-shaped glute muscle Ã¢ also abducts the leg away from the midline and helps stabilize the pelvis.
When people think of building a bigger butt, they tend to focus only on their gluteus maximus, but if you want a rounder behind, you should give your gluteus medius and minimus equal attention.
âCertain training, like jumps, are heavily gluteus maximus-focused, but do require the recruitment of the entire muscle group,â Lopez says. âThe smaller glute muscles really come into play when balancing. Both the medius and minimus require a bit more of a focused approach, often requiring some special pieces of equipment Ã¢ like steps, resistance bands or a BOSU ball Ã¢ to isolate them.â
Also Check: Are Dove Dark Chocolates Gluten Free
Dont Train Too Much Or Too Hard
Dont make the mistake of blasting your glutes with too many sets per workout and taking every set to muscle failure . More is not always better.
Not only is this unnecessary, it may even slow down your glute gains in the long run. Instead, you want to end most of your sets about 1-to-2 reps shy of muscle failure.
Recommended Reading: Dove Gluten Free
Secret Exercise Tricks To Firm Up Your Glutes Fast Trainer Says
If you’re gearing up for beach season and want to focus on getting firm glutes for some fun in the sun, then we have the best exercise tricks for you. We got the details from Jayne Gomez, a personal trainer on Fyt, the nation’s largest personal training service that makes fitness under the expert guidance of an in-person , certified fitness professional convenient and accessible for anyone.
Gomez clues us in on exactly how you can start to sculpt round, firm glutes, and it consists of feeding your body a good amount of protein and focusing on the 3 buttocks muscles via weight training. Gomez tells us, “The 3 muscles of the buttocks are the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus.” She also shares another secret, which is “to focus on the butt squeeze while performing any kind of glute exercise. This will give you round, firm glutes if done regularly.” Read on to learn Gomez’s exercise pointers for firm glutes, and next, check out The 6 Best Exercises for Strong and Toned Arms in 2022, Trainer Says.
You May Be Resting Too Much
Between sets, we are all guilty of checking our phones. Shannon says: “Typically you should rest no longer than 1 minute during glute-specific exercises, aiming to work them to fatigue. This is because long periods of recovering between sets will not overload the muscle. The muscle will not lift and become firmer unless your workout creates overload”.
“I recommend reducing rest time between sets to between 30 seconds and no longer than 1 minute for heavy lifts. During the last few sets you should struggle to complete the desired reps. Exercises such as hip extensions should not only be heavy but also be completed to failure. This means completing as many reps as you can in a set until you can’t lift the weight safely.”
Also Check: Dove Ice Cream Bars Gluten Free
Glute Exercises For Men: Daddy Got Back
By: Holly Smith, D.O. Osteopathic Medicine, B.S. Dietetics, NASM-PES Certified Trainer,
When you mention butts, many men will think about Sir Mix-a-Lot and his classic hit from the 90s. But, when you mention lifting weights, they probably dont think about glute exercises for men.
But daddy can have back, too!
Magazine covers are littered with chiseled chests, massive biceps, and sculpted shoulders.
But the powerhouse muscle group that really deserves attention is the glutes, also known as the butt muscles.
The glutes make up the largest and most powerful muscle group in the body.
Building these muscles is essential to creating a fit physique and giving you the strength to perform everyday activities easier and more efficiently.
Ready to shake it, shake it, shake that healthy butt? Then check out these great glute exercises for men!
Dont Miss: Is Gluten Free Pizza Keto
Butt Exercise: Medicine Ball Hip Thrusts
Degree of difficulty: 4 out of 5
- Overview: By rolling the medicine ball closer to or farther away from your glutes, you will feel this exercise in different areas of your glutes. Find the one that allows you to feel it most in the lower-middle portion of your glutes. For added resistance, place a dumbbell or weight plate on your pelvis.
- Get ready: Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent and your heels on a small medicine ball.
- Go: Contract your abs, then squeeze your glutes and hamstrings to thrust your hips upward. Hold for a count, then lower yourself three-quarters of the way back to the floor, keeping your abs contracted, and repeat.
Kims tip: Keep your head on the floor. Doing this with your head up is a good way to pinch a nerve in your neck.
6 of 10
Also Check: Is All Mayo Gluten Free
Bigger Butt Workout #: Body Weight
- Bodyweight Bulgarian Split Squat: warm up and 3 sets of 10 to 20 reps
- Bodyweight Single-Leg Deadlift: 3 sets of 10 to 20 reps
- Bodyweight Glute Bridge: 3 sets of 10 to 20 reps
This bodyweight butt workout is simple, effective, and can be done pretty much anywhere, whether youve got access to a gym or not.
Exercises For A Bigger Butt
Ready to add some mass to your backside? You can perform the following butt-boosting exercises in one workout, or you can add them to a lower body or full body routine at least 2 days per week.
Start out slowly with just one set of each exercise. As the exercises get easier to do, you can work up to two or three sets of each.
Safe for beginners, the glute bridge isolates and strengthens your glute muscles, hamstrings, and core while also improving stability in your hips.
How to do this exercise:
This powerful plyometric exercise will boost your heart rate and help strengthen your glutes, hips, quads, hamstrings, and calves.
If you have any issues with your knees, ankles, and hips, or you struggle with balance, consult a physical therapist before trying jump squats.
How to do this exercise:
Don’t Miss: Caputo Gluten Free Pizza Dough Recipe
Fundamentals Of Building A Bigger Butt
Building a bigger bum requires three main things: a healthy diet, progressive overload in your exercises, and ironically rest.
- Diet No amount of butt exercises will get you to your big bubble butt dreams unless you watch your eating habits. Youll need to grow your glutes while also slimming down on fat to get that toned look.
- Progressive Overload To save yourself time at the gym, Id recommend increasing the volume or intensity of your exercises. By consistently pushing on your weight limit and stamina, youll blast through plateaus and grow muscle quickly.
- Rest Not enough advice out there focuses on the importance of resting. Your body actually builds muscle between exercises. If you overtrain or dont leave enough time between exercises, you not only risk strain or injury, but your body also wont have time or energy to gain the muscle youre working towards.
Take Supplements Proven To Help You Build Muscle
I saved this for last because its the least important.
Unfortunately, no amount of pills and powders are going to automagically make your butt bigger. In fact, most muscle-building supplements are completely worthless.
But heres the good news:
If you know how to eat and train to build musclefollowing the steps we just coveredcertain supplements can speed up the process.
Here are the best supplements for building muscle :
- 0.8-to-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. This provides your body with the building blocks it needs to build and repair muscle tissue and help you recover from your workouts. If you want a clean, convenient, and delicious source of protein, try Whey+.
- 3-to-5 grams of creatine per day. This will boost muscle and strength gain, improve anaerobic endurance, and reduce muscle damage and soreness from your butt workouts. If you want a 100% natural source of creatine that also includes two other ingredients that will help boost muscle growth and improve recovery, try Recharge.
- One serving of Pulse per day. Pulse is a 100% natural pre-workout drink that enhances energy, mood, and focus increases strength and endurance and reduces fatigue. You can also get Pulse with caffeine or without.
You May Like: Is Einkorn Gluten Free
Master The Posterior Pelvic Tilt
When performing workouts to get a bigger butt, you should be able to feel them working If you can’t, you’ll want to get familiar with the concept of the posterior pelvic tilt and apply it to your glute exercises. “Posterior pelvic tilt is the end range glute contraction, kind of like locking out your glutes,” explains physical therapist Lauren Lobert, D.P.T., C.S.C.S., owner of APEX Physical Therapy. “This huge squeeze will put you in maximal hip extension and will ensure your glutes are working.”
According to Lobert, you want to finish any gluteus maximus exercise with a posterior pelvic tilt, which ensures you have gone through the entire range of motion in your hip and contracted your glutes. “This will maximize your glute gains, but also keep your back safe,” she adds.
Here are a few ways to find your posterior pelvic tilt:
- Lying on your back, you want to think about flattening your back into the ground,” Lobert says. “You will have to contract your lower abdominals and glutes, tucking your butt under.”
- “Think about a glass of water being on your pelvic bone as you lie flat on your back with your feet on the ground,” says Lobert. “To achieve a posterior pelvic tilt, you want to try to spill the water onto your belly.”
- Lastly, at the top of a glute bridge or hip thrust, you can think about keeping your ribs down, which will force you to tilt your pelvis, Lobert says. In the correct position, your hips and ribs will be angled toward each other.
On The Ball: Leg Lift
Leg lifts done while you balance on an exercise ball will strengthen your shoulders and abs, as well as your glutes. As you get more fit, try lifting both legs at the same time for a harder, beautiful-butt move.
Form: Keep your abs tight and back flat. Squeeze your glute muscles tight as you lift one leg. Just a few inches is fine when you’re just starting out. Be careful not to use your lower back muscles.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Graham Crackers Walmart
Step : Know Your Body Type
I talk a lot about body types and for a really good reason: your body type influences how you put on muscle, how much body fat your body naturally tends to store, and the types of exercises you actually need.
If you naturally store a lot of muscle / fat in your lower body, you will need to do different exercises to someone who struggles to put on muscle.
If you arent sure about your body type, I have a special Quiz that will help you determine your body type in just 2 minutes and its completely free. Plus youll get some workout and diet tips for your body type after! 🙂
How To Build A Bigger Butt
CONTENTSDonald Christman, BHSc
One of the most common questions asked by many women as they go about their program is how to build a bigger butt fast.
Whether you’ve been genetically cursed with a flat butt or simply want to increase this area’s tone and muscle definition, the great news is that the right glute exercises can certainly help.
Let’s dive into our research-based guide and find out the right exercises to target this area, how to structure your nutrition protocol to meet your butt-building needs, and how to be patient as the process unfolds and you build muscle.
You May Like: Substitute For Bread Crumbs
Standard Kettlebell Swing With Band
How To Do It
Adding bands to the kettlebell swing will increase your power potential even further. From the bottom position, the band tension forces you to be more explosive with the glute contraction.
The band tension will speed up the downward movement from the top position, leading to a greater stretch reflex. The increased tension and speed in the deceleration phase is one of the reasons why bands are such a powerful tool.
Think of bouncing a basketball. If you just drop the ball, it’ll bounce up again, but if you SMASH it into the ground, it’ll fly up faster and higher. This effect is what you’re after when using bands in your power training. The faster you go down, the faster you’ll go back up again .
For optimal balance and power, make sure the band is placed below the middle of the feet or closer to the heels.