Fruits Veggies Nuts And Other Options
- Remember that any whole, unprocessed fruit or veggie is a safe snack! Experiment with new options you may have skipped over in the past maybe a pomegranate, sugar snap peas, or starfruit is next to try!
- Dried fruit Raisins, dried mango, dried pineapple, and dried apples are all easy sweet treats that are great for kids and adults alike.
- Nut butter packs I cant be the only one that gets those little Justins cashew butter and almond butter packs and just eats em out and about, right?! Perfect to toss in your purse for a satisfying snack.
- Pickles and olives Both are great for a salty but still healthy snack! Plus, you can find these at literally any grocery store no specialty shopping needed.
- Applesauce Again, easy to find anywhere and great for kids and adults. Im cheap so I generally get a big ol tub for the fridge, but you can grab the little single-serve packs or pouches too.
- NOW Foods honey roasted pecans I work with NOW regularly I seriously love these pecans! For snacking or salads or granola, theyre so good.
Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola Bars
Granola bars are a lunchbox staple, but many store-bought granola bars contain artificial ingredients and often have more sugar than chocolate bars! This recipe, however, is packed with fibre, protein and nutritious fats, which results in a tasty yet nutritious snack.
Salty Peanut Butter Quinoa And Chia Bars With Chocolate
I can never decide what is better, salty snacks or sweet snacks so whenever I can find a sweet and salty treat in one I consider that a big win. These peanut butter quinoa chocolate bars are divinely sweet yet salty enough to ensure its perfectly balanced. Theyre secretly healthy but taste just like a guilty chocolate bar.
There are a lot of protein-rich ingredients in this recipe such as hemp seeds, chia seeds, quinoa, and peanut butter. To make things even easier for you this is a no-bake recipe, the fridge or freezer will set these bars to perfection.
https://greenysherry.com/en/salty-peanut-butter-quinoa-chia-bars-with-chocolate-vegan-gluten-free/ PHOTOS AND RECIPE HERE: GREENY SHERRY
Don’t Miss: Are Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Gluten Free
Sweet And Crunchy Stuffed Dates
For a simple snack, fill pitted dates with unsweetened, crunchy peanut butter or a mix of chopped walnuts and unsweetened coconut flakes.
Three dates have 5 grams of fiber, which is 18% of the RDI. People on gluten-free diets are sometimes deficient in fiber and may experience constipation, so these dates may aid your digestive system (
Chili powder may either be a blend of spices or simply ground chili peppers. To avoid contamination, make sure yours is labeled gluten-free.
Sesame Honey Roasted Almonds
Nuts and dried fruit are one of our favorite gluten free snacks! You can go simple and purchase roasted nuts and dried cherries and cranberries from t the store. Or try these sesame honey roasted almonds, a recipe that dresses up nuts to make them the perfect salty-sweet snack. Roasting them with a mixture of honey, salt, and sesame seeds makes for a crunchy, elevated take on this superfood nut.
You May Like: How To Get Bigger Glutes At Home
Gluten Free Appetizers For A Party
Appetizers are my favorite food to bring to a party. And Youll love all these gluten free appetizers! On top of begin simple to make, each of these recipes are so delicious, none of your party guests will guess theyre gluten free. Most of these simple snack recipes are naturally gluten free, so theres no need to worry about adding gluten free replacements to your recipes.
And the recipes that arent naturally free from gluten feature enough delicious ingredients that you would never know theyre a GF alternative to a classic recipe.
The next time youre preparing for a party, try making one of these quick and easy gluten free appetizers:
Jerky And Dried Fruit
Jerky and dried fruit are perfect for road trips, hiking trips, or just a quick trip to the kitchen. Since jerky is essentially cured, dried meat, it is a high-protein snack food.
Beef and turkey jerky are the most widely available and affordable options. Salmon jerky is gaining in some popularity but may be more difficult to find.
Dried fruits can be a good alternative if you need a fruit serving that travels well. Many dried fruits have added sugars. The fruit itself is naturally sweet, so try looking for an unsweetened version of dried fruits
Recommended Reading: Hungry Howie’s Gluten Free
Important Note On Granola Bars Mix
Mix-ins are where you can get creative in these granola bars! A wide variety of nuts, seeds and dried fruit will work. But heres an important thing to remember:
- Finely chop the mix-ins so the bars hold together. Huge nuts and seeds cause the texture of the granola bars to become more fragile, making them break more easily.
- Use mini chocolate chips, not standard size. Same idea as above: the standard size may cause texture issues. Mini chocolate chips are just the right size for incorporating in a granola bar. Just ½ cup gives great bursts of chocolate flavor. You can chop standard sized chocolate chips if its all you have.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Snack Recipes
If you really want to get fancy, try whipping up one of these tasty gluten free dairy free snack recipes. They take a little more time and effort, but are delicious!
1. Gluten Free Raspberry Muffins After picking some raspberries at a local farm, I was inspired to make these tasty muffins! Theyre sweet and delicious and are topped with a lovely little lemon glaze.
2. Maple Glazed Trail Mix This homemade trail mix is quick to make and is top-8 allergen free. Its a great option to prep ahead on the weekend and then enjoy all week long by the handful.
3. Strawberry Oatmeal Bars: These Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are delicious! Theyre gluten free, vegan, and easy to make-perfect for a nourishing dessert or whenever youre craving a little something sweet. The recipe calls for a low-sugar sweetener called Swerve, but you can also just use regular sugar.
4. No-Bake Cranberry Energy Bites: These 4-ingredient no-bake cranberry energy bites are gluten and dairy- free, taste heavenly, and make an ideal snack before dinner or post-workout.
5. Banana Nut Smoothie: Not sure what to do with all of your ripe bananas? Freeze them to have on hand when you have a hankering for a healthy snack. This banana nut smoothie can be mixed in minutes, is packed full of good nutrition, and actually tastes like a milkshake!
8. Vegan Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies: Though these dont have gluten or dairy theyre packed with delicious flavor and that classic chewy peanut butter cookie texture!
Don’t Miss: Tight Glutes And Lower Back Pain
Green Smoothie For Kids
This vegan smoothie recipe is awesome because it only has three ingredients and Lorena offers a bunch of handy tips to encourage your kids to drink green smoothies including the best greens, liquid bases and sweeteners to use. A great how-to post for those who need help upping their kids veggie consumption.
Keto Pigs In A Blanket
The Spruce Eats / Leah Maroney
Pigs in a blanket are usually off-limits to anyone on a grain-free or gluten-free diet, but the keto version is just as delicious. The easy, homemade dough is made with cheese, eggs, and almond flour. Serve with mustard for dipping.
The Spruce / Teri Gruss
Stuffed green peppers make a fabulous, gluten-free appetizer or lunch main course. You’ll love these hearty stuffed bell peppers that are jam-packed with savory ground beef, onions, cheese, tomatoes, and rice.
Make them up to two days ahead of serving for easier preparation.
This white bean variation on the usual chickpea hummus dip is elegant enough to serve at parties. Like most homemade hummus recipes, it’s also gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan friendly, making it suitable for a variety of different dietary needs.
Continue to 25 of 25 below.
This cheesy, spicy, gluten-free appetizer recipe for nacho cheese dip is thickened with amaranth flour, unlike many store brands that are thickened with wheat flour or modified food starch derived from wheat. It’s seasoned with homemade gluten-free taco seasoning, too, to give it that extra kick.
Serve this dip warm with gluten-free tortilla chips for a great half-time or anytime snack.
You May Like: Gluten Free Snacks Trader Joes
Why We Need Safe Snack Options:
My son has a wheat and dairy food allergy, and I have friends with Celiac disease so I personally know the pain of having to turn over every product in the store desperately looking for allergy free options to feed him. Most snacks are filled with dairy products and laden with gluten. I hope that whether you have a gluten-free diet, gluten-free dairy-free diet, or some other food restriction that this list will help you find options you can enjoywhether that be for a school snack, after-school snacks, late night snacks or whatever time of day the munchies hit ya. I dont want you or your loved ones getting hangry because they cant find a safe snack. I have everything from energy bars, crunchy snacks like popcorn, pretzels, and chips, to jerky, fruit, and more. This long list of great ideas should give you something even for the picky eaters. Theres a nice range between guilty pleasure foods and healthy snack ideas. Be sure to share these free snack ideas with your allergy friends!
Coconut Yogurt With Berries
Coconut yogurt is my favorite dairy-free option and tastes like the real thing. You can also try cashew yogurt, soy yogurt, and almond milk yogurts. Just check the sugar content on the ingredients label of any brand you buy.
Plain or unsweetened will be your best bet for avoiding too much sugar, and then you can add berries to taste.
Also Check: Does Gluten Free Help Arthritis
Bacon & Cheese Scones
There are large amounts of sugary sweet scone recipes out there but the savory ones are little extra special and unique. This recipe combines almond flour and coconut flour to make a delicate scone.
There is a lot of savory flavors to go around in this recipe from salty bacon to sharp mozzarella cheese. This recipe will make 8 perfectly sized wedges so you can enjoy them all week for a mid-morning snack or whenever you please. If youre generous enough you could share them too but if you dont we wont blame you!
http://www.primaverakitchen.com/low-carb-bacon-and-cheese-scones/#recipe PHOTOS AND RECIPE HERE: PRIMAVERA KITCHEN
Bake Time Ensures These Chickpeas Stay Crispy
The main challenge in making roasted chickpeas at home is making chickpeas that stay crispy on the shelf. If you dont bake them long enough, youll end up with soggy chickpeas a day later. To make chickpeas that stay crispy, youve got to bake them long enough.
Because chickpea brands and ovens can vary, weve called for baking these chickpeas for a range of time: 45 to 60 minutes. Once youve played with different chickpea brands and your oven, you can start to get a feel for what timing is right for you. The first time, just make sure to keep an eye on the oven towards the end of the cooking time: they can change quickly from browned to over done!
Also Check: Is Wendy’s Frosty Gluten Free
Carrot Sticks And Nut Butter
Serving carrots sticks with nut or seed butter is a super simple healthy snack. Just be sure to read the labels on your packaged nut butters to make sure there arent any added sugars.
Feel free to buy the baby carrots at the store that are already peeled and chopped into small sizes perfect for little hands .
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
Whether youre looking for a protein-packed breakfast on the go or a middle-of-the-day pick-me-up, these peanut butter energy bites fit the bill.
They have peanut butter, chocolate, salt, and many other things, but honestly, if youre like me, you were sold on them from just those three ingredients.
Best of all, you can make three dozen of them in 30 minutes or so.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Dairy Free Meals
Healthy Snack Ideas To Make At Home
Sliced vegetables such as:
- carrots, celery, cucumbers, grape and cherry tomatoes, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes sliced, celery, red or orange bell peppers, green bell peppers
Roasted vegetables such as:
- carrots, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, zucchini fries or crisps, kale chips
Fresh seasonal fruit :
- Berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, raspberries
- Stone fruit like apricots, peaches and plums
- Watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, mango, papaya fruit
Homemade dips and sauces such as:
- basic hummus, beet hummus, tahini hummus, Greek yogurt dip, avocado cilantro dip, cashew cheese and dips, salsa, organic ranch dressing
Baked goods such as muffins and granola bars.
Gluten free crackers and gluten fee tortilla chips.
Vegan no churn ice cream made with natural sugars and canned coconut milk.
Fruit and veggie packed smoothies and homemade popsicles.
To make it easier- here are a few of our families favorite afternoon snacks to get you started.
Tips For This Banana Bread Recipe
This gluten free banana bread is a riff on some of our blender muffins and breads, but even better. Weve tested it time upon time to get it just right! Here are a few things to keep in mind when you make it:
- Use the ripest possible bananas. This is the cardinal rule of banana bread, and especially true with the gluten free variety. Dont attempt this without brown bananas.
- Mash and measure the bananas. Youll use half in the blender, then stir in half so the batter gets a lumpy texture: just like normal banana bread!
- Allow to come to room temp before cutting. This is important, since it doesnt have gluten to hold it together.
- Cut large slices. This also helps the bread stay together without gluten.
Read Also: Resistance Bands For Legs And Glutes
Chopped Apple Sprinkled With Cinnamon
Chopped apples with cinnamon is a tasty treat. Adults can use a fork, but some kids may be intrigued by presenting familiar foods in new ways and be excited to pick up small bites.
The cinnamon makes this healthy treat reminiscent of a baked apple dessert. And, as a bonus, cinnamon helps keep blood sugar stable.
No Flour Monster Cookie Bars
These cookie bars are definitely not lacking in the flavor department nor are they lacking any texture. Theyre loaded with peanut butter, oats, M& Ms and chocolate chips. This recipe is also completely flourless making it an inviting snack that wont upset your stomach.
Youll make these monster cookie bars on a baking sheet. Considering it makes so many squares in one batch theyre a perfect snack to share with a group or you can freeze them to indulge in later. You can also customize these cookies to your liking. If you love nuts, white chocolate chips or what have you, add them in! Make sure you buy oats that are labeled as gluten-free to avoid cross-contamination.
https://togetherasfamily.com/no-flour-monster-cookie-bars-2/ PHOTOS AND RECIPE HERE: TOGETHER AS FAMILY
Recommended Reading: Are Twisted Teas Gluten Free
Getting Started With Gluten
Whether you have just gone gluten-free or are looking to shake up your snack routine, there are many foods that are naturally gluten-free that you should know.
Foods that are naturally gluten-free:
- Gluten-Free Flours: almond, chickpea, quinoa, rice, corn, coconut
- Fats and oils
If you dont have time to scour ingredient lists, you can find meals from certified gluten-free kitchens delivered right to your door from meal delivery services.
Quick And Nutritious Gluten
If you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, avoiding gluten is imperative .
However, you may struggle to find good snack options.
Though many convenient gluten-free snacks are available in stores, some may be unnecessarily high in calories or added sugars.
However, you dont have to rely on packaged foods for your next snack. Its also simple to make your own.
People with celiac disease should choose snacks rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, as dietary restrictions and gluten-related intestinal damage may increase your risk of nutrient deficiencies (
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Loose Leaf Tea
Tips For Eating A Gluten
Before we dive in, let me remind you that ALL recipes on Downshiftology are gluten-free. So really, that means you have hundreds of recipes to choose from. But Ive rounded up 40 or so of my favorites in this post for you today.
Starting a gluten-free diet may seem tricky, but it doesnt have to be. The key is to focus on all the things you can eat, and nourish your body with simple, wholesome, and nutritious ingredients. Thats the best way to make your gut happy!
Peanut Butter And Jelly Yogurt Parfaits
A fun and yummy way to enjoy everyones favorite pairing of PB& J with layers of Greek yogurt, fresh strawberries, a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and jelly, and crunchy peanut butter and jelly granola with bits of dried strawberries.
Layers of naturally sweetened banana cheesecake yogurt, fresh berries, and nutty quinoa give you a delicious and satisfying dose of fruit, whole grains, and protein.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Bakery Long Island