Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
May 3, 2018
When our family first went gluten-free, I found breakfast to be one of the hardest meals when it came to planning. Often the mornings were busy, and I didnt have time to prepare and cook a meal from start to finish. So, I started a list of gluten free breakfast ideas that I could refer back to when I was planning my grocery shopping and it helped a lot!
Now, I have 15 breakfast recipes to share with you, each of which has a step that can help you prepare beforehand so that you can make it quickly in the mornings. Some are sweet and some are savory, and theyre all delicious. All of the recipes are gluten free and dairy free, and some of them are vegan and nut free. Any of the recipes that call for almond milk can be substituted with another non-dairy milk if needed.
Im going to keep updating this page as I develop new gluten free breakfast ideas and recipes so that you have a resource page to depend on. So, bookmark this page and check back for updates.
Brunch For A Weekend Or Holiday
Ive always found that breakfast foods should be among the first you learn to make when youre newly gluten free. That and cookies.
Its hard to find really good packaged gluten free muffins, waffles, pancakes and real bagels. And when youre hosting a springtime holiday, or you want to share a big, leisurely weekend brunch for your family and friends, you want to serve everyones favorite foods.
When my son, then just a toddler, went gluten free, my extended family was not understanding at all. They insisted on stopping at the bagel store on the way to our house, regardless of the risk.
I promised myself Id learn to make gluten free bagels that rivaled the New York bagel store, and refuse any gluten at the door. Done and done!
Gluten Free Lunch And Dinner Recipes
31. Start your meal with a lovely, warming Maize Flakes Soup. Its also a great thing to feed kids to ensure they stay hydrated during cold weather.
32. If youd like a creamy soup thats easy on the tummy, go for this Creamy Tomato Soup from Officially Gluten Free. With lots of warming spices, this soup is perfect for winter!
33. Paneer is a good option for kids who resist drinking their milk from a glass. This Paneer Tikka is sure to have them asking for more and more!
34. Coconut Rice is a popular South Indian dish thats also very kid-friendly. Its light on spice and has the mild sweetness of coconut, making it a winner for kids!
35. One of the identifying features of fish sticks is the breadcrumb coating, something thats not gluten friendly! However the Simply Gluten-Free blog works around this with their Coconut Fish Sticks recipe.
36. Italy meets India in this Vegetable Pizza Dosa recipe! Sneak in veggies with this unique dish, perfect for your fussy eaters dinner!
37. This Tomato Pulao from Revis Foodography is an ideal one pot dish that is lightly spicy but flavorful enough to appeal to fussy eaters. Serve with cold raitha as the perfect accompaniment.
38. If the paneer tikka is a tad too spicy for your little one, go for this Flavored Paneer recipe instead. Its much milder, softer and just as yummy!
40. Get some protein power in your little champions lunch with this Egg Rice recipe. It tastes almost like fried rice, without all the unhealthy ingredients!
You May Like: Tuscan Garden Zesty Italian Dressing
Gluten Free Foods Kids Will Love
Going gluten free can be a challenging transition but having the right food products and some tasty recipes makes all the difference. Here are ten quick and easy gluten free recipes your kids will love.
1. PB& J Apple Bites
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple in most children’s diets. It’s easier than ever to update this classic to a gluten free version and the prep is simple enough to have your kids make it with you! All you need is Schär Gluten Free Bread, peanut butter and jelly! For a fun twist on this classic add some thin apple slices and voilà!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
2. Baked Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
Chicken nuggets are a kid favourite and even though gluten free chicken nuggets may be harder to find don’t fret! Baked chicken nuggets are a healthier alternative you can make right in your kitchen! Simply cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes and dip them in melted butter . Stir ½ cup of grated parmesan into a cup of gluten free breadcrumbs and season with salt then dip the chicken nuggets in the mixture. Bake the nuggets at 375°F for 15 to 18 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
4. Cauliflower Breakfast Muffins
Prep Time: 45 minutes
5. Gluten Free Cheese Sticks
Prep Time: 20 minutes
6. Banana Applesauce Bread
Prep Time: 50 minutes
7. Chocolate Almond Butter
Prep Time: 20 minutes
8. Healthy Guacamole Dippers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
9. Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Coconut flour replaces white flour to make these breakfast-appropriate muffins gluten-free . With the delicious pairing of lemon and poppy seed, you may just want a second, or a third, one of these bite-sized mini muffins.
Cookies for breakfast? Why not? You can call these healthy cookies energy bars if it makes you feel better. Theyre delicious and high in fiber. To make these cookies gluten-free, make sure to sub out the wheat flour for a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
View the recipe.
Also Check: Kraft Italian Dressing Gluten-free
Have Granola Bars Ready For The Drive
What about making a breakfast idea a few days in advance? Thats something you can do with granola bars, but doesnt that mean youre eating gluten?
Unfortunately, traditional granola isnt gluten friendly, but you can get gluten free friendly options. It just means shopping around in the gluten free aisle in the grocery store.
But what if I said that you could make your own? Theres no need to go search for anything that tends to have a lot of added sugar. All youll need to make sure is that the oats you have are celiac disease friendly.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Breakfast Ideas
So what can you eat for breakfast if you are gluten and dairy free?
You can still enjoy pancakes, muffins, crepes, waffles, granola, breakfast cookies and bars but you can also make gluten free porridges, dairy free breakfast smoothies, egg based or gluten free plant based breakfasts, and even English muffin sandwiches or toasts.
Here are some healthy gluten and dairy free breakfast recipes that health-conscious people will like:
Also Check: Gluten Free Desserts Recipes Real Simple
What Are The Benefits Of A Gluten
It is estimated that 1 in 100 people have celiac disease , but many go undiagnosed since the symptoms can be so varied and the damage to the small intestines can happen slowly over a long period of time. It can sometimes take years to get a proper diagnosis, with many people never finding out they have celiac disease.
When someone has celiac disease, eating gluten causes an immune response in their small intestines. This immune reaction causes damage to the lining of the small intestines over time, causing diarrhea, bloating, weight loss, fatigue, and anemia.
Untreated celiac disease can also prevent the small intestine from absorbing nutrients, which can interfere with growth and development in children. There is currently no cure for celiac disease, but following a gluten-free diet can help alleviate symptoms and promote healing of the small intestines.
Maple Grove Farms Gluten
We have been making waffles using Maple Grove Farms natural mix for years. I was so excited to find the gluten-free version. It tastes slightly inferior, but not too different than the regular mix. I find the waffles a bit quicker to make on school mornings than pancakes, but both are good breakfast options. Leftover pancakes and waffles wrapped and stored in the refrigerator reheat nicely in the microwave, too. Be sure to use pure maple syrup as many other varieties contain gluten used as a thickening agent.
Also Check: Panko Gluten Free Substitute
What Breakfasts Are Gluten Free
If you are new to gluten free, you may wonder what you can eat for breakfast. There are so many delicious options, and with my easy recipes, baked things like muffins, scones, and pancakes are a breeze. Many of my gluten free baked foods are also freezable so you can make extras and freeze them to always have a gluten free breakfast on-hand.
Kid Friendly Gluten Free Recipes
Feeling like a normal person after a food allergy diagnosis can sometimes be a challenge. And if you are a parent of a child with Celiac disease or non-Celiac gluten sensitivity you are most likely completely overwhelmed with what is safe for your child to eat. Take a deep breath we are here to help. Planning a freezer cooking day can help you have a variety of safe meal choices on hand at all times. With a Membership, you can even create your own custom menu to meet your specific needs.
Read Also: Gluten Free Pizza Crust Publix
Ingredients For The Loaf:
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F
- 2. From the loaf ingredients, beat the butter, egg, sugar, and pumpkin together.
- 3. Add the rest of the loaf ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- 4. Pour into a loaf pan and sprinkle your toppings
- 5. Bake for 50-60 minutes
Youll know the loaf is ready to come out by sticking a knife or toothpick in the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, then the loaf is done.
This loaf will keep for a few days in an airtight container. You can slice it up throughout those days to use as a quick breakfast for the school mornings.
Supplies For Packing Gluten
I do NOT recommend:
- expensive bento boxes theyre usually too small for anyone older than toddlers and way too pricey especially if you have multiple kids as I do
- cheaper plastic bento storage boxes Ive purchased at least 4 different versions and they all leak with the lids not snapping on or breaking after a couple weeks of use. They may be cheaper but its still a waste of money.
I DO recommend these back to school lunch supplies:
- quality lunch bag
- for preschoolers-elementary age, we love Lands End lunchboxes and this style from
- for tweens-high school, my daughter loves this style while my high school son prefers this larger lunchbag.
What are your favorite gluten-free lunch ideas for kids?
This post is sponsored by Mikeys Pockets. The opinions and text are all mine.
Dear mom, I have so much more Iâd love to share with youâ¦
Read Also: Jason’s Deli Gluten Free
Kid Friendly Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes
All parents want their children to be super healthy kids. And diet plays a very important role in making this happen. Some children are born sensitive to gluten, a type of protein that is found in wheat, barley, and so on. As such, it becomes essential that a parent prepares meals that are free from gluten so that children can lead a healthier life.
Many children have gotten rid of their sleep disorders, behavioral issues etc. by avoiding foods that contain gluten. And in some cases, children with autism have also been reported to have benefited from adopting a gluten-free diet.
And if you are a parent who is also thinking of trying out a gluten-free lifestyle for their kids but do not know how to go about preparing such meals, the below gluten-free breakfast recipes will help you with it.
Types Of Foods To Avoid On A Gluten
Getting your child started on a gluten-free diet can feel very overwhelming, and as you learn more about celiac disease and how to read food labels, you may be surprised to find that gluten is in a lot of prepared foods, beverages, and condiments your child loves. If you want to know which kinds of foods to avoid on a gluten-free diet, see below for a list of broad food types, with examples of each.
You May Like: Gluten Free Jason’s Deli
Tips For Making The Perfect Gluten
- For uniformed-sized muffins, I always use a greased ice cream scoop. It makes it nice and easy to get the perfect amount in the baking pan.
- I also use cupcake liners to keep the muffins from sticking to the pan.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 2 minutes and then place the muffins on a cooling rack. This step will help keep your muffins from getting what I call soggy bottoms.
An easy homemade gluten-free bagel recipe for big, soft, and chewy bagels. This gluten-free bagel recipe also has a dairy-free and vegan option.
Healthy Gluten Free Recipes For Kids
February 1, 2017
Gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free are all terms were seeing more of nowadays, whether its recipes or packaged foods. Parents are becoming increasingly aware of their childrens food sensitivities and allergies, something that has been undiagnosed for long. An article in the Indian Journal of Medical Research refers to celiac disease as an impending epidemic, claiming that there are still many more cases left to be diagnosed. As a result, gluten free recipes for kids have seen an increased demand.
At My Little Moppet, weve had many queries from concerned parents about gluten free recipes, which is why we decided to handle it all with this mega post of 60 healthy gluten free recipes for kids! Weve covered all meals, from breakfast to snacks to desserts, so you dont need to search anywhere else!
Recommended Reading: Kraft Gluten Free Dressing