Does Almond Flour Take Longer To Bake
Time-wise, baking with almond flour is pretty similar to baking with all-purpose flour. This almond flour pie crust bakes in just 20 minutes, if you plan on using it for a no-bake pie filling.
If you plan on using it for a baked pie, like my Vegan Pecan Pie, youll add the filling to this unbaked crust, and then bake as directed in the pie recipe. This gluten-free & vegan pie crust turns out perfectly crispy and flaky in that case, too!
Note: If you plan on using this pie crust in a recipe that needs to bake for longer than 35 to 40 minutes, I recommend covering only the edges of your pie crust for the first 20-30 minutes of baking, so they dont get too dark. Remove the pie cover for the last 20 minutes of baking, so the crust will get nicely golden.
Traditionally, foil is used to cover just the edges of the pie crust , but I bought a handy silicone crust cover, so I could avoid the aluminum foil touching the crust.
Other Low Carb Recipes
Heres a few more of my favorite keto desserts:
- The Best Low Carb Chocolate Cake is ultra moist and nutritious thanks to a hidden ingredient the kids will never guess its a vegetable!
- Sugar Free Red Velvet Cakehas the rich cocoa flavor you expect from red velvet, but without the sugar or the carbs.
- Low Carb Carrot Cake is delicious, sugar free, AND gluten free. Plus its topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting.
- Paleo Cupcakes With Almond Flour are a low carb, dairy free, and gluten free treat topped with a delicious raspberry frosting.
- Easy No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie is a heavenly blend of peanut butter and chocolate that doesnt require any baking!
to save the recipe to Pinterest!
FOLLOW ME ON , , AND FOR MORE EASY KETO RECIPES.
Tips For Making Keto Pie Crust
- You must let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before rolling it out and using it. If you skip this step, the pie crust wont hold its shape or turn out nice and flaky.
- The apple cider vinegar in this recipe doesnt affect the flavor at all. It just makes the crust flaky!
- Make sure youre using almond flour and not almond meal. Theyre two separate products!
Recommended Reading: Publix Frozen Pizza Dough
Tips And Substitutions For Making This Vegan Almond Flour Pie Crust Recipe:
- This recipe makes enough dough for a regular pyrex 9-inch pie pan and it works well in a tart pan as well. If your pan is a different size or material, you might need to adjust the amount of oven time.
- Almond flour pie crusts tend to brown rather quickly so I recommend covering your crust with a sheet of aluminum foil or baking paper after 10 minutes.
- For this recipe, blanched almond flour is ideal if you want a fine texture, but almond meal, which is more coarse, would also work. I would definitely recommend almond flour if you can get it, but if almond meal is all you have, you could still make this vegan pie crust recipe.
- Flax meal can be substituted with ground white chia seeds.
- For a sweeter pie crust, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar to the dry ingredients.
- Depending on your filling, you can add spices. For a sweet filling, think pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon or orange zest. For a savory filling, you could use garlic powder or Italian herbs.
How To Make Almond Flour Pie Crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch pie pan. Note: I like to trace the bottom of the pie pan on parchment paper then cut out a circle of parchment for the bottom of the pan to make it easier to cut the pie once it is finished.
Add the almond flour, sweetener, and sea salt to a mixing bowl and mix well until combined. Note: you can also use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Pour in the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and stir until large clumps form.
Add in the beaten egg and stir well. At first, the dough will be very crumbly but the more you mix it, the more it will resemble actual dough.
Transfer the dough to the greased / parchment-lined pie pan.
Press the dough into the pie pan and up the sides of the pan until it is evenly distributed. If youd like to flute the edges of the pie crust, there will be enough dough to do so.
Use a fork to poke many holes around the bottom and sides of the crust to allow air flow and ensure it doesnt rise and pull away from the pie pan.
Bake crust on the center rack of the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. The edges should look just slightly golden-brown. If youre using this for a no-bake pie , bake the pie crust for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, until it is golden-brown.
Read Also: Do Heath Bars Have Gluten
Recipe Ingredients And Notes
Blanched Almond Flour: Be sure to use almond flour, not almond meal. Almond flour is low in carbs, has a slightly sweet flavor, and has tons of vitamins and nutrients. It is made by blanching whole almonds, removing the skin, and then grinding and sifting them into a fluffy flour.
Tapioca Flour: Another gluten free flour, tapioca flour is starchy, and also has a slightly sweet flavor. Its made from the cassava root.If you cant find the flour you can also use tapioca starch.
Oat Flour: You can make your own oat flour by finely grinding rolled oats, or buy your own. Oats are naturally gluten free, although some brands are cross contaminated. Be sure to get a certified gluten free brand when purchasing. You can also use gluten free flour blends as a replacement.
Coconut Sugar: For a slightly sweeter flavor, I add a bit of coconut sugar. However, for savory pies or quiches, you can leave this ingredient out.
Salt: I recommend using kosher salt for best results.
Cold Water: The only liquid added to this pie crust is water. Add it slowly so that the dough does not become too moist.
More Almond Flour Recipes
If you love using almond flour for gluten free and / or low carb cooking and baking check out the complete guide to the best almond flour recipes.
Best Tips and Tricks
- If youd rather use whole almonds, place 2 cups unsalted almonds in a food processor or Vitamix until finely ground. Be careful to not overprocess or the oils will separate and you will end up with almond butter instead. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to combine.
- The key to making sure the crust doesnt crumble apart while cutting is pressing the dough solidly into the pie plate. First use your fingers, then use the bottom of a measuring cup to press smoothly and firmly.
- Unblanched almonds, without the skins, will yield a lighter colored crust. Using almond meal also works, but the crust will have a speckled, rustic look.
- Replace the sugar with 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup for unrefined sugar version.
Recommended Reading: Is Jelly Belly Gluten Free
Can I Make This Recipe Without A Mixer
If you do not have a mixer, you can still make this crust with a little bit of elbow grease.
Combine the almond flour, salt, cubbed butter, cubbed cream cheese and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter and cream cheese into the flour.
When the mixture resembles course sand, add the egg and apple cider vinegar, use the pastry cutter a few more times to mix the dough, then switch to a silicone spatula and work until a smooth dough forms.
Here Is How To Add A Bit Of Extra Flavoring To Your Pie Crust
While this recipe calls for Vanilla Extract, you could use an alternative extract such as a banana or lemon extract instead. Also, instead of using Ground Cinnamon, try Allspice, Pumpkin Pie Spice, nutmeg, or even Ground Ginger.
Here are some similar recipes that you may also like.
Keep up to date with my recipes
I have some great tips on which alternatives may work in a recipe such as this one.
Be sure to follow me on and to keep up to date as well.
Low Carb Almond Flour Pie Crust
The recipe for Low Carb Almond Flour Pie Crust
As mentioned, there are alternatives to using melted butter as the fat that holds this crust together. Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Ghee, or Peanut Butter can be used in this recipe! I also mentioned how you can add a bit of flavor to this sugar free pie crust.
- Melted Butter- 4 tablespoons. Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Ghee, or Peanut Butter can be used in this recipe!
- Sugar Alternative– 1 tablespoon. Can sub in* maple syrup or honey to sweeten your pie crust.
*Please check the nutritional labels to assure that you are sticking to your diet restrictions for any substitutions used.
How to make Low Carb Almond Flour Pie Crust
Check out my Pie Baking Essentials for some useful ideas.
The Recipe Card for Low Carb Almond Flour Pie Crust
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Also Check: Gratify Everything Thins Costco
How To Make 4
Start the 4-ingredient almond flour pie crust by preheating the oven, and gathering everything you need:
Then pour it all into a bowl:
And stir until well-combined. It should look just like this:
Now, use your hands to press it into a pie pan. Then, use a fork to poke holes around it so that it doesn’t bubble while baking:
And then bake for 12 minutes or so, or until it’s lightly baked through and lightly browned, especially around the edges.
And that’s it, y’all! Your gluten free almond flour pie crust is now ready for your favorite recipe. I created this recipe for a no-bake pie that I’ll share with you next, as it’s sooo perfect for no or low-baked pies.
It’ll stand up to another 5 to 10 minutes of baking. But anything more than that and you’ll definitely have to use a pie shield, as the delicate almond flour will definitely burn. You can buy a pie shield from Amazon, the picture below will take you to it :
Or, you can also make your own pie shield out of aluminum foil, just check out this great article from Reynolds Kitchens that tells you how and you’ll be an expert in mere minutes.
Use this 4-ingredient almond flour pie crust recipe to share your best homemade pies with those who love and support you and all of your efforts. Much love, and see y’all on the yum side.
More Recipes You’re Sure To Love
If youve made this recipe please leave a comment and star rating below! This is the best way you can help support me and my blog!
Follow me on and . Tag @alifeofhappenstance and #alifeofhappenstance so I can see your yummy creations!
Did you know I have a YouTube channel? to watch all of my recipe videos!
This easy almond flour pie crust recipe is based on my Almond Flour Crackers recipe.
You May Like: Tostitos Lime Chips Gluten-free
Top Tips For Making This Gluten
- Use cold water to add to the dough. Add one tablespoon at a time. Depending on the consistency of your dough you will need between 3-5 tablespoons, but you dont want to add too much and have it come out sticky.
- Make this recipe in advance. Simply prepare the dough, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Allow the dough to come to room temperature before rolling it out. Dough will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Gluten Free Pie Crust
A super easy and homemade gluten free pie crust recipe
Just 5 ingredients + NO flour!
Even if youre not eating a gluten free diet these days, chances are you know someone who is. More and more people are removing gluten from their diets, and restaurants and supermarkets are starting to take note. Even Cheerios just went gluten free! Nowadays, you can easily find gluten free pasta, flour, frozen meals, and baked goods in both specialty and regular grocery stores.
I found the almond flour for this gluten free pie crust recipe at Trader Joes and was shocked by the low price tag: $3.99 for a full 16-oz package! That is a fantastic deal! Almond flour can be either a golden color or the darker color as seen in the photos of this post.
Funnily enough, the gluten free pie crust recipe Im posting todaywhich can also be vegan, paleo, and sugar-freewas actually adapted from my Healthy Girl Scout Cookie Tagalongs.
And if you need inspiration for what to put in the gluten free pie crust, I have about a zillion pie recipes and am planning to post yet another one later this week!
I kind of really love pie!!!
Also Check: Is Captain Morgan Gluten Free
Should I Use A Sweetener In My Low Carb Pie Crust
Its not something you definitely have to have, but its ok if you dont want to add it. I would recommend you adding it only if you are making a sweet dessert pie. I dont think you need it at all if making a savory pie.
If you choose to add it, you dont need a lot. Only about a¼- cup. It will just give it a little extra sweetness to your crust. Its all about how sweet or not sweet you like things.
Almond Flour Crust Faq
Can you freeze this Pie Crust?
You absolutely can! You can freeze this pie crust as a disc, or you can press it into the pan and bake it, then freeze it. To thaw it out, let it thaw on the counter before baking or filling.
Can I use the Food Processor to mix the dough?
You certainly can! I like mixing it with my hands as I like the feeling of the dough, but go ahead and use the processor if you prefer that.
Do I have to use the Monkfruit?
You dont need to, no. The pie crust will be delicious with or without the sweetener.
Can I use a different Sweetener?
Yes! Anything granulated should work for this recipe, but I would avoid runny sweeteners like honey or agave.
Read Also: Publix Oat Flour
One Of The Best Pantry Staple Pie Crust Recipes
This almond flour pie crust recipe is a fantastic pantry-staple meal! It uses almost all ingredients you would have in your dry pantry or cupboards most of which you probably have on hand. Keeping a well-stocked pantry makes it easy to come up with delicious and healthy meals using a few staples you can rotate. I made a list of my Top 125 Plant-Based Pantry Staples that always keep stocked. And you can check out all my . By stocking up on healthy whole ingredients you can cook delicious recipes without a trip to the store!