How To Make Gluten Free Dairy Free Sugar Cookies
What Do You Use Instead Of Butter To Make Gluten Free Drop Sugar Cookies Vegan
Instead of the butter, use your favorite vegan butter or palm shortening.
Ive found best results when I use half vegan butter and half palm shorting .
The reason I like using half vegan butter and half palm shortening is that sometimes vegan butter can make the cookies have a fake butter taste.
The vegan butter can also melt too quickly, resulting in oily cookies.
The palm shortening melts slower, helping the cookie to spread not to much and not too little, but just the right amount.
The palm shortening is also unflavored, and when combined with the vegan butter I feel like I get the perfect taste.
Also Check: Lou Malnatis Gluten Free Pizza
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- These cookies have golden crispy edges and a chewy center.
- This recipe is an easy one bowl recipe.
- These are the best gluten free and dairy free cookies Ive ever tried!
- They are made with coconut flour and with almond flour.
- These cookies are made without butter, without shortening, without molasses, and without xantham gum.
- They are based off my Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- They are Paleo, grain free, gluten free, and dairy free.
Recommended Reading: Stretchy Gluten Free Pizza Dough
Dairy Free Sugar Cookie Tips
If you roll the dough very thin, the cookies will be brittle and theyll tend to break apart. I roll the dough to a thickness of a quarter inch, but you can err on the side of a little thicker if needed .
If you accidentally roll the dough thinner than a quarter inch, I recommend shaping the dough back into a disk and rolling it out again. While its not ideal to roll the dough multiple times, the cookies will come out better this way than if you bake them too thin.
The cookies are done baking after about 8 minutes, or as soon as theyre set. If you bake them for 10 minutes or longer, theyll likely be crunchy instead of soft.
Sometimes when I roll out the dough for these dairy free sugar cookies, the dough sticks to the surface and I cant easily pick up the cut out cookies. When this happens, its best to re-flour the surface and roll out the dough again.
These gluten free sugar cookies can be made with your favorite gluten free flour blend, such as King Arthurs Flour or Bobs Red Mill. You could also use regular flour for this recipe if youd prefer.
How Do You Make Easy Gluten Free Drop Sugar Cookies
Im famous for my gluten free sugar cookies.
They are cakey and lightly sweet
These super easy, chewy cookies are like my frosted sugar cookies sparkly cousin.
They have all of the same ingredients, but the ratios have changed slightly so that your gluten free drop sugar cookies will gently spread in the oven into chewy, sparkly rounds.
- More sugar to butter equals a chewy gluten free drop sugar cookie with crisp edges.
- Less flour equals an easy gluten free drop sugar cookie that will spread on its own
Perfect with a glass of milk, or get fancy and add some frosting on top.
Recommended Reading: What Not To Eat On Gluten Free Diet
How Do You Measure Gluten Free Flour
When baking with gluten free flour is it essential to measure your gluten free flour very carefully.
- Whisking your gluten free flour This ensures the flour is well combined and it is aerated.
- Carefully scoop your gluten free flour into a measuring cup USING A SPOON. Don’t scoop the flour directly with the cup. You’ll inadvertently get too much gluten free flour.
- Level your measuring cup off with a knife, or using the handle of the spoon. I have some self-leveling measuring cups that I love. If I’m using them, I never forget to level off my gluten free flour.
Variations Of This Recipe
If youve had enough chocolate chip cookies lately but like this sound of this recipe, Ive got you covered! Ive made several variations of these cookies over the years:
- Coconut flour cookies they dont use any almond flour, in case you need a nut-free version! And theyre somehow every bit as delicious as the version below.
- Paleo Peanut Butter Cookies these use sunflower seed butter in place of peanut butter for a version that tastes super similar to real peanut butter cookies.
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies they also only use coconut flour. I spent 4 years trying to make the below paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe with peanut butter. I didnt like the results. But I finally nailed it and they are the best peanut butter cookies Ive ever had!
- Paleo Peppermint Cookies so perfect for Christmas!
Have you made one of them? Or the original? Which one is your favorite?
Don’t Miss: What Does A Gluten Free Diet Consist Of
How To Store Baked Sugar Cookie Cut Outs
Store the cooled and unfrosted cookies in a covered container stacked with parchment between the layers of cookies. Keep them at room temperature for up to 5 days for optimal freshness. If the cookies are already frosted, it helps to store them in a single layer to maintain the look of the piped frosting.
Tips For Making The Best Gluten
- Its super important to measure the gluten-free flour correctly. Always use a measuring cup made for dry ingredients , and use the spoon and level method.
- I always use a greased cookie scoop to bake cookies. I use a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop.
- I also like to use Reynolds Kitchens Cookie Baking Sheets. It has a smart grid that makes it super easy to line up your cookies on your baking sheet. I buy it at Walmart.
Read Also: Does Grey Goose Vodka Have Gluten
Ingredients For Piping Frosting:
- Powdered sugar 1 cup of powdered sugar is needed for the frosting, we like the Wholesome Organic brand, available at Thrive Market
- Butter unsalted butter or, for dairy-free cookies, choose a plant-based stick butter
- Heavy whipping cream or, for dairy-free, use coconut cream
- Vanilla extract use pure vanilla extract, such as this one from Thrive Market
- Coarse sugar or sanding sugar if desired, sprinkle coarse sugar over the piped frosting to create a sparkling effect
How To Make The Recipe
Place all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl . Whisk well to combine .
Pour all of the wet ingredients into a separate mixing bowl or large measuring cup and whisk well until smooth .
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine . Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to fully incorporate and moisten all of the flour.
Form 1 heaping tablespoon of dough into a round ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches in between each one .
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden and firm . Let cool on the baking sheet for 1 to 2 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. They will continue to firm up as they cool.
Don’t Miss: Is Mochi Ice Cream Gluten Free
How To Make Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
What Kind Of Cookies Are Gluten
You can make just about any type of cookie into a gluten-free cookie by substituting traditional all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour.
There are few types of cookies that are naturally gluten-free and need no replacement of flour, such as macaroons , macaron shells , flourless cookies , no bake cookies , and Im sure many more.
Read Also: Are Panko Breadcrumbs Gluten Free
All Almond Flours Are Not Created Equal
When I first made these paleo chocolate chip cookies, itd been quite a while since I last posted some grain-free recipes. I had run out of my favorite Bobs Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour months before and was so frustrated with the brands of almond flour available here in Germany since theyre so inconsistent.
Because I didnt want to deal with the hassle of ordering flour from the US, I thought Id wait it out until Christmas when Id be back in the US and could buy all the Bobs Red Mill I want.
But then I got a hankering for chocolate chip cookies. And I really wanted to make paleo cookies.
So I went to work and while every batch tasted amazing, the appearance and thickness was different every single time. The only variable?
The almond flour. The almond flour Id been buying varies from brand to brand and even within the same brand.
How To Make Them
The first step is to mix together the dry ingredients and set it aside.
Next, using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until its light and fluffy, this will take about 3 minutes.
After that, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix. I usually switch over to mixing by hand at this point.
Continue mixing until everything has combined and youre able to form a ball with the dough.
The dough will be very soft and sticky, and you may think that something is wrong with it, this is how its supposed to be, so no need to worry!
Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for at least three hours and up to three days.
Once the chilling time has passed, remove it from the refrigerator, unwrap and place the dough on a large piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and using a rolling pin, roll until the dough is ¼ of an inch thick.
Cut into shapes, getting your shapes as close as possible to each other. Once done, use a spatula to transfer them to your baking sheet, then gather up the dough scraps, form them into a ball and repeat the rolling and cutting process.
If the dough gets too warm at any point and its starting to stick to the parchment paper, refrigerate it for about 15 minutes so it gets a little chilled again.
If you dont plan on decorating them with icing, then now is the time to sprinkle them with sanding sugar.
Recommended Reading: Are Nature Valley Crunchy Peanut Butter Bars Gluten Free
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Do not over-bake the cookies as they continue to firm up as they are cooling down. Once they begin to brown around the edges they are ready to be removed from the oven.
- If youd prefer thicker cookies, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and refrigerate the dough for 40 minutes. This helps them from over-spreading too.
- You can make the dough up to 48 hours in advance. When ready to bake the cookies, let them sit at room temperature
Four Ingredient Coconut Macaroons By Beaming Baker
Why we love them: Is there anything sweeter than the simplicity of a coconut macaroon? With just four ingredients, these come together in a flash and taste just like the real thing.
Hero ingredients: This recipe calls for small coconut shreds in order to get the tall, spherical shape that makes macaroons so crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Just mix up the ingredients in a food processor and use an ice cream scoop to arrange dallops of batter on a sheet pan, bake and boom: youve got dessert in under 30 minutes!
Don’t Miss: Are Perfect Bars Gluten Free
Are Chocolate Chips Gluten And Dairy Free
Most chocolate chips are gluten-free, but not dairy-free. Many chocolate chips contain dairy from the milk in the ingredient list.
Read on: Are Chocolate Chips Dairy-free?
Tips For Rolling Out The Gluten
- If your dough is too soft, and transferring the cut out shapes to the baking sheet is difficult, pop the raw dough in the refrigerator for 20-60 minutes. Humidity and temperature will vary greatly, and it will effect your dough. The temperatures and humidity I deal with here in Alaska are drastically different than what someone in Florida might experience.
- If your dough is too crumbly, it needs more moisture. Either wet your hands, and then gently massage the dough, or pop the dough back into the bowl of your electric mixer. Add additional water, teaspoon by teaspoon until your dough is back to being pliable.
- This pie crust bag is also super handy for rolling out cookie dough, not just pie crust!
Also Check: How To Know If Something Is Gluten Free
Recommended Reading: Individually Wrapped Gluten Free Snacks
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough
Yes, you can! Cookie dough is super easy to freeze.
To freeze, chill the cookie dough balls in the refrigerator for one hour. After the hour, place the chilled cookie dough balls into a plastic freezer bag.
The cookie dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When its time to bake the cookies, just remove them from the freezer and place them on a lined baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake on a prepared baking sheet for 12-14 minutes .
How To Make Oat Flour
Besides some gluten dairy free vegan sugar cookies, imagine all the healthy holiday baking that your fancy-milling-person-self can MAKE.
I dont think itll be long until I see Y-O-U on The Food Network, entering super STARDOM.
And if that doesnt happen?
Our garbage cans are going to suit us JUST fine.
We have cookies there.
Don’t Miss: America’s Test Kitchen Gluten Free Cookbook
What Gluten Free Flour Do You Use For Drop Sugar Cookies
I tested this recipe with my gluten free flour blend.
You can certainly use another gluten free flour, but you may need a little less flour depending on the absorption rate.
You can always add more flour but you can’t take it away.
So do yourself a favor and if you are using any gluten free flour than mine, start with 1 cup of gluten free flour.
Bake a single cookie to test how it spreads.If it comes out too thin and crispy, add more flour to get a thicker cookie.
Its Time For Holiday Cookie Exchange
December means non-stop holiday baking. Im not sure about you, but during this time of the year, weve been making all sorts of cookies.
From gingerbread cookies and crunchy almond biscotti, to snickerdoodles and molasses cookies, to chickpea chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies and coconut macaroons, theres been a never-ending flow of cookies coming from our oven.
And of course, lets not forget these amazing holiday cookie classic in a gluten-free version: gluten-free sugar cookies.
You May Like: What Foods Are Gluten Free
How To Make Sugar Cookies Gluten
To make sugar cookies gluten-free, Ive opted to use almond flour. Like some of my other cookie recipes, I feel good about giving my family treats that have *some* form of nutrition.
We get enough sugar and carbs in our diets, Id rather try to find some small ways to bump up the nutritional value in every area I can.
Almond flour is full of healthy fats, fiber, and protein, so even when my son wants a second cookie, I can feel good that he is filling up on more than just sugar thats going to make him crash after 30 minutes.
Top 10 Tools For Gluten
These gluten-free lemon crinkle cookies are great with a cup of coffee or tea a perfect treat for any time of day. These are also dairy-free with the use of vegetable oil in place of where youd normally see butter in a recipe.
Paleo lemon cookies are gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan too. These ones are also soft and chewy and made with blanched almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon extract, baking soda, and salt.
All easy ingredients to keep on hand in your gluten-free dairy-free pantry.
Mmm.. these gluten-free lemon meltaway cookies look amazing. This recipe bakes up 18 cookies in a batch the perfect amount for a family or to share a few too.
I mean, if you have to. While this recipe calls for butter, you can try swapping out for vegan butter or coconut oil to make it dairy-free too.
I love desserts that I can make quickly and get to show off to my family as quickly as possible. Theres nothing really better than a thanks mom, youre the best! after making something in the kitchen.
Thats why I love this recipe these come together quickly, are full of lemony flavor, and you can make them a little fancier with a lemon glaze and drizzle if you want.
Lemon crinkle cookies are great with tea, but Im sure theyll be delicious on their own or with a cup of coffee too.
Also Check: Does Dunkin Donuts Have Gluten Free Donuts