Gluten Free Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This Gluten-Free Peppermint Brownie Ice Cream Cake, like most of my dessert recipes, is super simple to make. I used Enjoy Life Foods Brownie Mix, dairy-free ice cream , crushed candy canes, and chocolate sauce.
That’s it! And doesn’t this gluten-free ice cream cake look like one of those ice cream cakes you’d purchase at a specialty bakery or ice cream shop?
How To Make Gluten Free Ice Cream Cake
- 1Preheat Oven to 350 F
- 2Crush Pretzels using food processor and pour into small bowl. Add Sugar and cinnamon.. Stir with fork then add melted butter. Stir thoroughly. Spread in the bottom of 9×13 pan. Bake for 5 minutes and cool completely.. Can freeze to cool quicker.
- 3Once crust is cool start the layers.This is how I did mine..Cool CrustVanilla ice cream topped with Butterfinger piecesFREEZE Chocolate Ice Cream topped with PeanutsFREEZE Cool whip with warm Hot fudge drizzled on top then swirled . FREEZE 3 Hours or more then serve……
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
The Best Way To Make The Ice Cream Layers
This next section is really the key to how to make a fantastic and easy homemade ice cream cake. Have you ever tried to just scoop the ice cream onto the cake layers, only to have it melt and slosh about? Well, thats why were actually cutting the ice cream layers out of the ice cream.
To do so, well soften the ice cream to spread in a large casserole dish. Then once weve re-frozen the ice cream, well trace the cake layers by using the bottom of a cake pan. Use a knife to cut the ice cream along the trace makers and freeze again until youre ready to layer the cake.
This way, youre working with frozen ice cream rather than softened ice cream, and it will be much easier to stack and layer the cakes.
Don’t Miss: Is Einkorn Flour Gluten Free
Brownie Bottom Ice Cream Recipe Deets
brownie bottom I used my favorite brownie recipe, which makes a rich, delicious, and slightly fudgey brownie that not even the pickiest of eaters will know is gluten free AND vegan.
ice cream while I can certainly make my own ice cream, I used 2 pints of organic ice cream to make it easier. You can use any ice cream flavors that you like. Dairy free ice cream and sorbet would work as well if you want to keep it dairy free.
whipped cream or whipped coconut cream makes the perfect fluffy topping for this ice cream cake.
fresh berries I used blueberries but you could use any fresh berries you have on hand.
chocolate shavings really are the icing on the cake. I make them by scraping a chocolate bar with a very sharp knife. You can see how to do it HERE.
Ice Cream Cake Ingredients
- vanilla bean dairy free ice creamSo Delicious tastes wonderful and we also recommend Nada Moo
- chocolate or dark chocolate ice cream
- gluten and dairy free Oreo sandwich cookiesKinnikinnick Kinni-Toos brand is also nut, soy, and peanut free. Or you can use the Gluten Free Oreos. Another option is the Glutino brand cookies or Oreos gluten free cookies.
- classic organic coconut milkuse this canned kind. It helps set best.
- dairy free dark chocolate chipsEnjoy Life and Nestle Toll House Simply Delicious have a gluten and dairy free brand. Their chocolate chips are also egg, nut, soy, and peanut free.
- so Delicious Coco Whip thawed and refrigerated so its ready to spread easily.
- light corn syrup optional and if you use it, we recommend this.
Also Check: Krusteaz Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream Cake
This raspberry brownie ice cream cake is a perfect summer dessert or birthday cake. Ice cream cakes are easy to prepare and can be made well in advance of serving. They make stunning birthday cakes served whole but can also be pre-cut and kept frozen. Arrange the pieces on a platter and decorate the way you like with fresh fruit, mint or edible flowers.
Vegan Ice Cream Cake Recipe
A creamy, fudgy, decadent vegan ice cream cake recipe. Layers of coconut milk ice cream, hot fudge and caramel sit on top of a fauxreo chocolate crust, topped with fluffy coconut whipped cream. Its made with wholesome ingredients and free from gluten, grains, refined sugar, and dairy.Vegan, paleo, and gluten-free as always.
Ive never really loved ice cream cake. Id always be disappointed at birthday parties as a kid when theyd bring out the cake and Id see a Carvel box sitting on the counter. To me, it didnt even taste like real ice cream, just a chemical- esque medley of artificial flavors. Conceptually its right up my ally oreo crust, vanilla ice cream an d fudge sauce but for whatever reason, it never tasted as good as it should have.
I thought recently- I bet I could make a bomb homemade ice cream cake that would be tastier and healthier. It sounded like a lofty goal, but I love a cooking challenge.
So here it is, my wholesome, dairy-free, FREAKING DELICIOUS ice cream cake. Let me tell you, its way better than the ice cream cakes youve probably experienced in the past and WAY more wholesome.
Read Also: Gluten Free Italian Dressing
How To Make Gluten Free Ice Cream From Scratch
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes only. Please see the printable recipe card below.
GLUTEN FREE COOKIES AND CREAM ICE CREAM
To make the cookies and cream gluten free ice cream shown in the pictures, I added in about Â¾ cup of crushed gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies.
Organize For Success Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream Cake
Advance preparation is the key to a successful ice cream cake. I made the chocolate truffle brownies two days ahead of serving. I chilled the brownie overnight then carefully cut it in half horizontally. Then I put the brownie back in the pan with wax paper separating the two layers and froze it. This step can be done days or weeks in advance. For the final assembly I spread vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet on the brownie layers. The assembled dessert then went back in the freezer overnight.
Ice cream cakes are difficult to cut if they are frozen solid. A way to get around this is to simply cut it in advance. At the last minute arranged these on a pedestal tray, topped each piece with whipping cream and raspberries then added a garnish of fresh mint. I think this presentation is equally as nice as a whole uncut cake but you serve it however you like.
You May Like: Gluten Free Breading Alternatives
Making This Cake In Advance:
Since there are quite a few parts to this ice cream cake recipe, it can be really helpful to break it into sections and tackle it across multiple days. Both the jam and chocolate cake can be made ahead, and the assembled cake can also be made a couple days ahead and kept frozen .
Here’s an easy schedule you can follow:
Day one: Make the raspberry jam and chocolate cake. Store both in the refrigerator, with the cakes wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
Day two: Prep the raspberry-swirled ice cream and assemble the cake. Wrap it up in foil and freeze it.
Day three: Make the ganache and whipped cream, and decorate the cake shortly before you’re ready to serve it.
How Do You Store Ice Cream Cake
Make sure you store your ice cream cake well to avoid freezer-burn. There’s nothing worse than a cake that tastes like freezer!
When freezing the assembled pre-frosted cake, cover it in plastic wrap or foil. If you’re making the cake far in advance, make sure to create an air-tight seal of plastic wrap then a layer of foil.
After you’ve frosted the cake, let it freeze uncovered for 30 minutes to firm up then carefully cover the cake in plastic or foil to keep it from getting freezer burn. Don’t frost your cake more than 3-5 days in advance because the longer it sits in your freezer without an airtight seal, the more likely it will taste like your freezer when you go to serve it. Instead, if you need to make the cake further in advance, seal and wrap up the cake right after you’ve frozen the layers overnight, but before you frost it!
Finally, slice and freeze any leftovers in an airtight container .
Recommended Reading: Is Red Wine Gluten Free
Recipe Notes And Tips
- using a 10 inch cheesecake springform pan will make this Oreo ice cream cake turn out perfectly round like a cake. A 10 inch round cake pan also works.
- next an angled icing spatula is helpful with this recipe. Youll use it for several layers of this cake. I also use this spatula with several other recipes. It is a lifesaver.
- its helpful to cover sides of the pan with Glad Pressn Seal Plastic Food Wrap.
- importantly, place the vanilla and chocolate ice cream pints on the counter top to thaw well before you need them. I find dairy free ice cream requires more time to soften.
- keep in mind this mouthwatering homemade ganache can be used for other recipes too!
- lastly, this ice cream cake can be made a day or two ahead of time. Woot woot for all you early birds who like to get the worm.
For The Raspberry Jam
Essentially we’re going to make a small-batch raspberry jam to swirl into vanilla ice cream for this recipe. Do this first, since the jam needs to cool completely before you use it.
Step one – Mash the berries: Combine raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan and set them on the stove over medium heat. As the raspberries start to cook, mash them into the sugar until they’re completely crushed.
Step two – Make a slurry:While the berry mixture continues to heat up, whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth. Congrats! You’ve just made a slurry. This will help the cornstarch disperse into the berry mixture in step three.
Step three – Boil & thicken: Pour the slurry into the berries while whisking, and let the mixture boil for about 1-1.5 minutes. Whisk it often so you don’t wind up with any lumps. Once the jam is thick, transfer it to a small bowl, cover it up, and let it chill in the refrigerator until completely cool.
You May Like: Breadcrumb Substitute Gluten Free
Does Ice Cream Cake Have Cake In It
Ice cream cake can be made of just ice cream or can include layers of actual cake. For an ice cream only cake, you may add various mix-ins like caramel, peanut butter, or chocolate, or use different flavors of ice cream to create layers.
For an ice cream cake with actual cake layer, you can opt for just one layer of cake topped with a layer of ice cream, or sandwich the ice cream between two layers of cake. I opted for a higher cake ratio here to cut the creamy sweetness a bit.
More Gluten + Dairy Free Dessert Recipes
- chocolate chip cookie cake a delicious cake made from our famous soft chocolate chip cookie recipe.
- chocolate peanut butter layer brownies rich, decadent and mouth watering layered brownies with peanut butter and chocolate.
- ice cream cookie sandwiches we absolutely love these. Now you can enjoy safe and yummy ice cream cookie sandwiches too.
- double chocolate cookies if you like this oreo cake and love chocolate then this cookie recipe is made for you!!! Every bite is chocolate heaven.
Read Also: Does Wine Have Gluten In It
Other Easy Ice Cream Desserts To Try:
- You can swap out the corn syrup for brown rice syrup in the fudge topping.
- Make sure that the fudge topping cools to room temperature before spreading it over the pie, so that it doesn’t melt the ice cream.
- If the pie is frozen overnight, let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften before slicing .
What Ice Cream To Use For An Ice Cream Cake
For making your own vegan ice cream cake, you have a few options for the different types of ice cream! You can go the route of homemade ice cream, like using my favorite cashew milk ice cream or vegan cookie dough ice cream, or you use store bought.
For store bought ice cream, the great news is that vegan ice creams these days really taste good. I recommend either So Delicious, Oatsome, or Nada Moo. They all have wonderful flavors and offer both nut-free and coconut-free options.
You can make a vanilla ice cream cake, a chocolate ice cream cake, or strawberry ice cream. Or you can make this freezer cake super fun and use birthday cake ice cream, cookies n cream, mint chocolate chip, mocha fudge, or whichever is your favorite ice cream!
Also Check: Gluten Free Substitute For Bread Crumbs
How To Make Gluten
To make a gluten-free ice cream cake, it’s best to start two days before you want to serve the cake. Ice cream melts pretty quickly, especially if you use a high-cream brand like Tillamook. The good news is, ice cream cake takes very little hands on time, just a little planning in advance!
On the first day, you’ll bake and cool the cake layers and caramel sauce. Once cool, you’ll assemble your cake into layers and pop it in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight to firm up.
The next day you’ll frost and decorate the cake. While you decorate the cake, though, the ice cream will start to soften again, so you’ll need to pop it back into the freezer for another 2-4 hours or overnight to firm up before slicing.
On the third day, you slice and eat the cake. If you let it sit at room temperature for 3-5 minutes, it’s just a bit softer and easier to slice, while still firm enough to hold its shape!