Are These Exactly Like Regular Cinnamon Rolls:
No. The gluten in regular all-purpose flour creates a tightly bound stretch, which results in fluffy airy texture, which simply is not present in gluten-free flour. These gluten-free cinnamon rolls are fluffy and cake like, but the texture is more crumbly than regular cinnamon rolls.
In addition, the fact that the cinnamon rolls are dairy-free means they dont have an unmistakable butter flavor, however, they do have creamy rich flavor from the coconut milk and coconut oil.
Gluten Free Rolls Are Quick And Easy To Make
We made a few tweaks to the original recipe so that we would still achieve all that fluffy and buttery goodness while using a gluten free flour. And they are GOOD. No funky taste, no grittiness, perfectly light and fluffy and buttery. The only difference, really, is that these rolls take only 1 hour to make.
If youre looking for a fun and easy variation, one reader said she adds spices and raisins, then tops with a thick cream cheese frosting to make hot cross buns. We think thats a great idea! You can read the full comment from Suzy in the comment section below.
With gluten free yeast breads and rolls, you dont need a second rise. So mix up the dough, shape, rise, and bake. BAM. ready in an hour flat. Be sure to read the directions closely as we include tips and tricks to help make this recipe a success. Keep in mind that we live at an altitude of about 4,000 feet, so you might need to adjust water or flour amounts a smidge based on your altitude.
We hope that you enjoy these gluten free rolls for holidays and many other meals! If youre making them for the holidays, theyre perfect smeared with this 15 Minute Cranberry Sauce with Cider and Orange from my friend Brianna at Flippin Delicious
Start With A Wet Dough
If you want any yeasted dough to rise, you must have a proper wet to dry ingredient ratio. When the ratio of wet to dry ingredients is too low, the dry ingredients are overwhelming the wet ingredients , and the yeast will not rise. Thats just the way it works.
Yeast isnt active at very, very high temperatures or very, very low temperatures, but its rare that temperature will prevent your dough from rising. Those toxic temperatures are very extreme. If your dough isnt rising, its usually because your dough is too dryor you didnt wait long enough.
You May Like: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free
Perfecting The Best Gluten
This recipe was created after lots of trial and error, just like my gluten-free cinnamon rolls, gluten-free pie crust, and gluten-free bread were. When a recipe finally works out, itâs so very rewarding.
Our wheat-eating friends, who we get together with regularly, actually prefer the taste and texture of these gluten-free hamburger buns to the gluten-filled ones.
Xanthan Gum Or Psyllium Powder
To prevent the buns from being crumbly and give them a good crumb, you’ll need to add either xanthan gum or psyllium husk powder.
I personally prefer using xanthan gum because it gives them a lighter, more authentic texture – but either one will work!
If using psyllium husks, be sure to use the POWDERED form! Powdered and whole psyllium husks measure very differently so they are not interchangeable.
If you’ve never worked with psyllium before, you can usually find it in the colon cleansing section of your local health food store. This is mostly because it’s very high in fiber.
Read Also: What Does Gluten Free Mean
Pro Tip For Measuring Gluten
First, its important to use a measuring cup made for dry ingredients to measure the flour. I always measure gluten-free flour with the spoon & level method. I use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup. Then I use the back of a knife to level off the top of the measuring cup.
Please do not scoop the flour out of the bag with your measuring cup. If you do, you could end up with more flour than is called for in the recipe.
Can I Freeze The Dough
Yes, you can freeze the gluten free roll dough. After you mix the dough, scoop the dough into nine mounds in your baking dish, cover and freeze.
When you are ready to use, let your roll dough come to room temperature, then let it rise for an hour. It won’t rise as high after being frozen, but it will rise some. Bake these gluten free dinner rolls as directed.
Read Also: Ice Cream Brands Gluten Free
How Do You Make Brazilian Cheese Bread
This recipe is super simple.
Add all the ingredients to your blender in order, and then blend until smooth.
You’ll need :
- An Egg
- Oil (any neutral flavored oil ill or, I usually use vegetable, sunflower seed, or canola oil but you could also use avocado oil or coconut oil, or even olive oil.
- Dairy Free Milk of Choice,
- Tapioca Flour
It takes less than 5 minutes!
You can also mix your batter in a bow.
First whisk together the dry ingredients, then adding the wet ingredients and mixing until you have a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a greased mini-muffin tin and bake it until the un-cheesy breads puff up and are golden.
There is a delicate crisp crust, with a chewy inside.
This recipe is also more budget friendly than traditional Brazilian cheese bread because cheese is the most expensive ingredient in them!
Tips For Making Gluten Free Rolls
Here are my tips that work with this gluten-free dinner roll recipe.
Donât substitute anything unless I specified above that Iâve tested it. This is important. If you substitute something, I canât guarantee anything and I canât help you troubleshoot if something doesnât work in your rolls.
When measuring gluten free flours into measuring cups, spoon the flours into the measuring cups, then level. Never scoop the measuring cup into the flour.
Ingredients at room temperature work best. You can always run your eggs under warm water for a couple minutes to bring the temperature up.
Read the recipe instruction and get all ingredients out before you start.
Make sure your yeast hasn’t expired before starting.
Make sure your water is between 95-110 degrees before adding the yeast. If you donât have a thermometer I suggest you get one.
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Also Check: Gluten Free Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Brands
Get Our Gluten Free Crescent Roll Recipe Here
But sometimes you just want a regular, tall and fluffy dinner roll. One that you can pull apart and slather with butter or make into a sandwich with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Ya know?
So we decided that this year we wanted to develop a recipe and publish for gluten free rolls before the holidays hit, so that you can enjoy these rolls too if youre looking for the same thing. And here it is. As a base, we used Grandmas dinner roll recipe that has been made every Thanksgiving for as long as we can remember. They are the best rolls youll ever eat.
Use Room Temperature Ingredients
Youll also have best results if all the ingredients are at room temperature, except for any ingredients that specify cold or chilled.
Using room temperature ingredients like eggs, butter, and gluten free flours helps your baked goods to bake evenly and correctly.
Think about it, if you use cold eggs, your batter will be colder.
And then it will change how it bakes, or may take longer.
For recipes that rise using steam, this is especially important.
Read Also: Gluten Free Substitute For Bread Crumbs
Vegan Gluten Free Rolls
If you enjoy a vegan diet or you can’t consume eggs you can substitute the egg for 1 flaxegg + 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
Add the 1 teaspoon of baking powder in with the dry ingredients and the flaxegg in with the other wet ingredients.
Please note that the rolls won’t have the same texture as they would if you were to use eggs.
Did you make these gluten free dinner rolls? Please leave me a comment below letting me know what you thought and which flour blend option you used.
Tips For Making The Best Gluten
- Make sure that the gluten-free flour blend you are using is recommended for yeast baking. Check the package or the brands website. When in doubt it is always best to use the brand of gluten-free flour that the recipe was created with.
- Make sure your instant/rapid yeast is fresh.
- Do not overheat the milk or you could kill the yeast.
- Make sure to rise the cinnamon rolls in a warm place. I rise my rolls in the oven set to 100°F.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls on the middle rack.
Also Check: Is Gluten In Wine
What Type Of Yeast Is Used In The Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Most yeast is gluten-free, but some kinds of yeast do contain gluten. The most common kinds of yeast used for baking, like bakers yeast, active dry yeast, and instant yeast, are gluten-free.
This recipe uses instant yeast or rapid-rise yeast. I used Fleshmans Rapid Rise Yeast. It is important to use rapid yeast, make sure it fresh and not expired and is at room temperature.
Rapid rise yeast does not need to be proofed and can be added directly to the flour. It is still important to use warm milk because yeast is a live organism and thrives in a warm environment.
Heat the milk just until it feels warm to the touch. Or use a thermometer to check the milks temperature. The ideal temperature for instant yeast is 100°110°F. If the milk is any hotter than that, it could kill the yeast and your rolls will not rise.
If you want to make sure that your instant yeast is still active, you can proof the yeast before adding it to the flour mixture.
The No Bun Burger Should Be A Choice
Whether theres a gluten free bun available or not, I usually go for a lettuce wrap. If that makes no sense to you considering how Ive been complaining about the bun-less gluten free burger since 2011, allow me to explain.
If Im eating a burger, whether its vegetarian or meat, I just dont care for it with any sort of bread in every bite. Ive been like that for as long as I can remember, long before I even knew what gluten was. But that is my choice.
My gluten free son likes a bun, and he should have one. There are more and more fast-casual hamburger restaurants that can accommodate gluten free eaters, which is great. But many of them can only offer you a lettuce wrap. I love lettuce wraps, but I prefer to choose among alternatives.
This gluten free bun recipe is very simple, accommodates other dietary restrictions more easily than my gluten free soft hamburger bun recipe from Gluten Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread, and the dough can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Plus, the baked rolls freeze really well.
Don’t Miss: Are Dove Ice Cream Bars Gluten Free
Dish By Dish Tips/tricks:
- Grease Your Hands for Shaping Dough: Since this dough will be wet and sticky , make sure to grease your hands with oil before rolling the dough to prevent the dough from sticking to the palms of your hands. Greased hands also make rounder balls and gets the job done faster and easier.
- Smooth Tops of Dough Balls: If the dough balls are not completely smooth once youre done shaping them, simply dip your fingers in water and smooth out the tops of the dough balls.
- Let the Rolls Cool Before Eating: As with all gluten-free baked goods, youll have to let these gluten-free rolls cool for at least 15 minutes before eating. If you dont let it cool sufficiently, the starches in the bread wont have time to set up properly, and youll end up with gummy bread . So patience is required, but youll be dearly rewarded.
What Flour To Use For Gluten
Making gluten-free dinner rolls might sound tricky, but its actually even more simple than making traditional rolls.
These rolls only need a single rise and bake up start-to-finish in less than 2 hours. Youll just need to start with the right gluten-free ingredients.
- Use a high quality gluten-free flour blend. I like using a gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend like King Arthur Flour when making these rolls. It works best to use a blend that contains xanthan gum in this recipe.
- I have many other recipes on my site that use this flour blend like these Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies so you can put the rest of the flour to good use!
Read Also: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free
What Ingredients Go In Gluten Free Vegan Dinner Rolls
- gluten free all-purpose flour In order to make these gluten free, we used a gluten free all-purpose or 1:1 flour blend. Bobs Red Mill makes some great ones.
- xanthan gum because gluten free flour doesnt have the same elasticity as gluten flour, we need to create that and xanthan gym helps with that, the structure and the binding of the flour. Check the ingredients on your gluten free flour because some already contain it and you would omit in that case
- instant yeast we are using instant yeast to make this process goes as quickly as we can
- vegan cane sugar Cane sugar is what we are using. If you want to learn more about why your sugar may not be vegan, you can learn more by clicking on the link.
- salt helps brings out the flavors
- baking powder helps give more rise in gluten free baking
- unsweetened dairy free milk use your favorite neutral, non-sweetened or flavored variety. We really like oat
- vegan butter for richness and texture, vegan butter is best and easiest to use.
- unsweetened applesauce adds moisture and texture, as well as acts as the eggs in the bread
- apple cider vinegar helps with texture and taste.
Thats it! This is the combination of ingredients that will give you the most delicious vegan dinner rolls.
Can I Make This Recipe Gluten Free Is It Suitable For Coeliacs
It is gluten free, though nobody would know just by tasting it trust me!
Bear in mind that minimising cross-contamination is hugely important if youre Coeliac or making this for someone who is. Heres some tips from Coeliac UK on minimising the risk of cross contamination.
Also, make sure that all ingredients used dont have any gluten-containing ingredients. Then make that that they also dont have a may contain warning for gluten, wheat, rye, barley, oats , spelt and khorasan wheat .
Heres some more info from Coeliac UK on identifying safe gluten free products. Double check your sprinkles to make sure theyre gf too.
Read Also: Is Olive Garden Salad Dressing Gluten Free