Dairy Free Frosting Variations
To make funfetti frosting , gently mix in some rainbow sprinkles at the end.
To make chocolate frosting, add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder with the wet ingredients and decrease the powdered sugar amount by the same amount.
To make strawberry frosting, substitute 1/4 cup strawberry puree or strawberry jam for the liquid.
Tips For The Best Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Make sure to use coconut cream, not coconut milk. This vegan chocolate frosting is made with coconut creamwhich is the thick, white, creamy part of coconut milk. This is the coconut cream that I use. Coconut milk is much more watery.
- If you want to use coconut milk follow the instructions in the Notes portion of my recipe.
- Dont mix in the coconut juice from the can of coconut cream. When scooping and measuring your coconut cream, make sure to scoop up as little of the translucent coconut juice as possible. You want the thick, white creamy part.
- Test a small batch in advance with the chocolate youre using. Ive found that some paleo or sugar-free chocolate brands will not work in this frosting recipeit wont yield a creamy frosting. Try making a small batch first before committing to using a full bag of expensive paleo or sugar-free chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate ganache to de-chill a bit before whipping. When youre scooping the chocolate ganache away from the sides of the bowl, it shouldnt be that hard to scoop. If its too hard, give the ganache a few minutes to de-chill/warm up before whipping.
Spread Them On Your Favorite Vegan Desserts
Dairy-free cookies and desserts have come a long way in the past two decades, thanks to milk and butter substitutes that better replicate the complex sugar and protein structures present in dairy. Once you figure out how to bake without butter, frosting your cake, cookie, or muffin is the easy part.
Most of these dairy-free frosting recipes are just as easy as their conventional counterparts. Once you have a standard pantry of dairy-free margarine, dairy-free milk, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract, you can tackle many of these recipes. Some call for additional ingredients, like soy yogurt or apple cider vinegar. These are easily available at almost all grocery stores.
Also Check: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free
Perfect Cake Themes For Your Next Birthday Party
- ice cream cone cake no one will even believe this fabulous cake is gluten and dairy free. With an edible ice cream cone on top and what looks like is ice cream melting across the top of the cake. This gets everyones attention.
- motorcross cake perfect for any motocross fan young or old. This cake is perfect for beginners and the guide will walk you step by step what to purchase and how to assemble this cake your loved one wont forget.
- shark birthday cake tutorial for the perfect ocean thriller cake that looks just like a shark. And it uses the same cake pan for several other popular cake ideas.
- chocolate bundt cakethis tastes perfectly moist and flavored cake every.single.time. This will be your go-to for large family gatherings, Christmas, Mothers Day and more. The 2 ingredient chocolate ganache on top is amazing.
- pineapple cake heres the moistest and most flavorful fruit cake, this pineapple cake is AMAZING. Youll taste small chunks of pineapple in the cake and this buttercream frosting recipe. Its so good!
- sprinkle birthday cake this is a popular cake theme for any age or theme. And super easy with no detailed piping design. Change out the sprinkles to what works best for you and this cake will be the hit of the party.
- carrot cake bars here is a homemade recipe for a delicious 9×13-inch cake. You wont believe how decadent this cake is with a brown sugar cream cheese frosting recipe. Yum.
Why I Love This Dairy Free Frosting
Lets talk about frosting for a minute. I know it seems like it should be full of dairy products, and it can be, but this one thing thats super easy to make dairy free.
In fact, most store bought frostings are already dairy free because they rely on vegetable or palm shortening for their fats.
But, I wanted to give you a full run down on how to make frosting without butter in case you need it.
Also Check: Jason Deli Gluten Free
How To Make The Dairy Free Banana Cake Frosting
1.In a medium bowl, beat the whipped coconut cream and the banana powder together until combined. I made banana powder by powdering some freeze dried bananas, you could use some fresh bananas too, but they will ruin the color of the frosting as they tend to darken.
Step by step: how to make dairy free frosting
2.In a separate bowl mix the soft butter with vanilla and almond extract, and the powdered sugar until smooth. Gradually add a few tablespoons of cold whipped coconut cream to temper the butter , then add the entire butter mixture to the chilled cream and mix until smooth.
Tip: If you messed up and the butter still looks curdled, you can still fix it! Warm the bowl gently as you beat it, just until the ingredients come together.
3.Once cake has cooled completely, frost cake and enjoy!
For Fluffy + Delicious Results:
Use finely ground sweet or white rice flour Brown rice flour wont work well here, and a gritty grind with make grainy icing.
Since most powdered sugar has corn, the rice flour acts as the binder here. The finished texture of this frosting is actually smoother and has a better mouthfeel than traditional easy buttercream made with powdered sugar.
Recommended Reading: Jason’s Deli Gluten Free
Gluten Free Banana Cake Recipe
This gluten free dairy free banana cake can be made as a sheet cake or as a layered cake. The cake is moist and spongy and has a perfect crumb without falling apart.
If you prefer this gluten free banana cake without any frosting at all then serve it as it is, bake it in a single layer and enjoy it even for breakfast.
Faqs And Tips For Making Dairy Free Frosting
What is vegan icing made of?
Vegan icing is typically made from vegetable shortening or vegan butter, mixed with powdered organic sugar and flavorings, like vanilla extract or cocoa powder.
How do you make homemade frosting thicker?
If your frosting is too thin, you can mix in extra powdered sugar until you reach the consistency you are after. Another option is to chill the frosting until it the fats solidify, but this will only be a temporary fix.
Is frosting dairy free?
Not necessarily. While many store bought frosting is dairy free , homemade frostings tend to be made with butter or cream cheese, so they wont be dairy free.
Read Also: Gluten Free Pizza Crust Publix
Best Easy Dairy Free Buttercream Vanilla Frosting
May 5, 2016 by Laura
Everyone needs an easy Dairy Free Buttercream Frosting for decorating cupcakes, birthdays and special occasion cakes. This super easy dairy free vanilla buttercream will easily become your go-to recipe for desserts!
This post is so overdue. A dairy free buttercream frosting is the backbone for any good cake or cupcake. And I find making tons and freezing helps.
Part of the reason this post was delayed was due to near frosting fails. Yes. You can fail at making frosting but only in the sense that it wont perform tricks you want it to do.
For example, those beautifully decorated cupcakes Ive seen from The Recipe Rebel and even dairy free butter frosting from The Pretty Bee . I tried many different dairy based buttercreams only to find the frosting was loose and sloppy even though the recipe called for tons of sugar. Even some dairy free recipes were written the same. But from my experience, it would not pipe a lovely design.
So what gives? Am I that bad at making frosting? Maybe. Or maybe its more complicated that it appeared.
The problem you can encounter with dairy free icing can be contributed to Emulsion problems.
EMULSION- the ability to bind fat molecules with water and other liquids. In other words, oil and water will not separate when mixed.
So there you have it. A long winded explanation of why this dairy free buttercream frosting will be the BEST. And hopefully you can come to rely on for all your allergy friendly decorating needs.
Set Up Your Flavor Profile
Weve got everything you need to up your kitchen game – plus, special offers and discounts just for you!
Are you out of McCormick ?
Set up your Flavor Profile or to:
- Add this spice to “My Spices”
- Create a more personalized experience
- Manage your spices in Flavor Profile
Sign up to save your favorite flavors.
DON’T HAVE AN ACCOUNT?
Already have an account?
Already have an account?
Because we are constantly improving our products, we encourage you to read the ingredient statement on our packages at the time of your purchase.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
Recommended Reading: Gluten-free Cookie Dough Ice Cream Brands
Ingredients For Dairy Free Banana Cake Frosting
Dairy Free Frosting Ingredients For Gluten Free Banana Cake
- Coconut whipping cream . It is mostly sold in online stores.
- Vegan butter whipped to add extra firmness.
- Powdered sugar or powdered maple sugar .
- Vanilla extract and almond extract .
- Freeze dried bananas powdered .
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below.
My Favorite Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Anywho, since I shared this vegan chocolate frosting recipe a few years back, Ive gotten rave reviews, glowing emails and more than a few questions about it. So today Im covering your common questions, sharing some new photos, and taking you through how to make homemade vegan chocolate frosting.
You game? Lets do it!
Read Also: Pizza Dough At Publix
How Do I Make Chocolate Or Strawberry Vegan Frosting
Only your pantry and your imagination limit the flavors of vegan frosting you can make!
We’ve tried lemon vegan frosting, almond vegan frosting, strawberry vegan frosting, and chocolate vegan frosting.
(I frosted my gluten free yellow cupcakes with strawberry vegan frosting. And then added unicorn toppers and a million sprinkles, just for fun.
- To make chocolate vegan frosting add melted and cooled vegan chocolate and/or cocoa powder that has been mixed with hot water and cooled. I created a separate recipe to show you how to make vegan chocolate frosting.
- To make strawberry vegan frosting add ¼-1/2 cup strawberry jam BEFORE adding the dairy free milk. After mixing in the jam, you may need a little milk to get your vegan frosting to the right consistency, or it might be perfect right there. Beat for another 2-3 minutes, as directed. We’ve used raspberry jam, also.
- To make lemon vegan frosting, add lemon zest and lemon extract instead of vanilla extract and add lemon juice instead of dairy free milk.
- To make almond flavored frosting, add almond extract in addition to or instead of vanilla extract. I’ve also added almond extract to dairy free chocolate frosting, and it is delicious!
Tips For Making The Best Gluten
- Sifting the powdered sugar will make sure the frosting is super smooth.
- Make sure the butter is softened. You can easily soften the butter on the countertop for 30 minutes. Your butter is soft enough when you poke it with your finger and see an indent in the butter.
- For a whiter buttercream frosting, use less expensive butter. More expensive butter tends to be more yellow. I use the Great Value Unsalted Butter or Smart Balance dairy-free butter.
- Another trick to make your buttercream frosting whiter is to mix in a tiny drop of purple food coloring.
- If you want a firmer frosting, use less milk or add more powdered sugar.
- If you see your frosting has bubbles caused by overwhipping, just use a large spoon to stir the frosting until the bubbles pop.
- I like to line a frosting piping bag in a tall glass and then add the frosting. It makes it easier and less messy to fill.
- My favorite frosting tip is the Wilton 1M.
Also Check: Jason’s Deli Gluten Free
Do I Need To Refrigerate Cake Frosted With Vegan Buttercream
From a food-safety perspective, you should still refrigerate anything frosted with vegan frosting.
It doesn’t have butter, but the dairy free milk and vegan butter should still be refrigerated if you are storing it long-term.
Personally, if I’m frosting something and I’ll be using it within a day or two I don’t worry about refrigerating it. I haven’t had any problems.
If you are storing long term, I suggest refrigerating or freezing anything frosted with vegan buttercream.
It all comes down to a judgement call, juggling the food safety aspect vs. the convenience and texture of keeping the vegan frosting at room temperature.
If refrigerated, it will harden and you will have to wait for it to come back to room temperature, which can take several hours.
How To Make Gluten
- For the creamiest frosting, sift the powdered sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the pure vanilla extract and salt mix until fully combined.
- Add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time and mix until fully combined. Scape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the milk 1 teaspoon at a time, depending on how firm you want the frosting, and beat until smooth and spreadable.
Recommended Reading: Gluten In Red Wine
Vegan Buttercream Frosting For Piping
This is it. A perfectly pipeable vegan buttercream frosting.
Ive played with fat to sugar ratios. Ive played with how much milk to add, if any.
Im pretty happy with my vegan frosting. I put it on everything.
Well, not actually everything.
Id be silly to put buttercream on, say, gluten free enchiladas. But you know what I mean.
However, I do put this vegan buttercream frosting on all my desserts.
Use half vegan butter and half palm shortening.
Frosting made entirely with vegan butter tends to be oily and greasy, in my opinion.
Buttercream made with all palm shortening tastes like shortening.
Not good. It is also too thick, and tends to look separated if you try and add any vanilla or milk.
The solution is to use half vegan butter and half palm shortening.
Making your dairy free buttercream frosting with shortening and vegan butter gives you the best of both worlds.
The resulting dairy free frosting has a good balance of texture and flavor.
My go-to vegan butter is Earth Balance or Melt.
I have use Smart Balance, and Pure Blends Plant Based Butter when I haven’t had Earth Balance or Melt on hand.
The softer vegan buttery spreads will make your frosting softer, and you will need less dairy free milk.
Whip it. Whip it real good.
No, Im not joking.
I whip the palm shortening and vegan butter for a solid 5 minutes when I’m using my electric hand mixer.
As Ina would say.