Pay Attention To The Coconut Oil
If you make these in the summer when room temperature coconut oil means melted coconut oil, youll need to refrigerate the coconut oil until its firmer, like softened butter.
If you make these dairy-free cookies with melted coconut oil, the dough will be very greasy and the chocolate chips will be hard to incorporate into the dough.
It doesnt work to use melted coconut oil and then just chill the dough. I dont understand why but it doesnt work!
Start With Butter Thats Soft But Not Too Soft
Now, if your softened butter is too warm, it wont form those air pockets. Thats why you want to let it soften naturally instead of speeding up the process in the microwave.
Take it out of the fridge, cut it up, and wait about 10-15 minutes thats the just right level of softness for this sugar-free almond flour cookies recipe.
Of course, if its summer or youve been cooking a lot, youll need less time. A kitchen that is much warmer than 70 degrees F will speed up this process.
To Make Buttercream Frosting:
Beat the butter. Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat it for 90 seconds, or until itâs fluffy.
Add the remaining ingredients. Slowly beat in 2 cups of powdered sugar, then the extracts. Taste and add more powdered sugar a cup at a time. If the frosting is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk or heavy cream.
Color the frosting. Decide how many colors you want and divide the frosting into bowls accordingly. Color each bowl of frosting with a small amount of gel food coloring.
Scoop the frosting into piping bags fitted with small round tips or spread the frosting onto the cookies. Add sprinkles immediately after frosting so they stick, then let the frosting harden for several hours or overnight.
Read Also: Gluten Free Meal Subscription Service
Thick And Chewy Classic Gluten
I need to preface this one with a quick PSA: not all oats are gluten-free.
Although oats dont contain gluten, theyre usually processed in large factories where flour, other grains, and wheat are present.
So, if you have a severe gluten allergy, be sure to get gluten-free oats that are processed in separate factories and free from cross-contamination.
That said, if you have Celiac disease, oats are usually a bad idea.
This is because they contain a specific protein called avenin, which is like gluten and intolerable for people with Celiac.
Ok, that wasnt too quick, but its important to know these things, right?
Once you have the proper oats, this recipe is like any other. Youll use white sugar for sweetness and brown for its chew.
Make them with chocolate or raisins, or maybe even both!
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- 3 Ingredients. No flour and no grains are needed, just pantry staples!
- Quick and easy. With less than two minutes prep and ten minutes cooking time, these could not be any easier.
- Low in carbs. Not only are these completely sugar free, but they are also keto friendly.
- No bitter aftertaste. Sugar substitutes are known for leaving desserts with a slightly bitter taste but not these ones!
What we love about this sugar free cookies recipe is just how much they taste like actual cookies. Actually, they remind me of peanut butter cookies, but even better. Oh, and they have the best texture: crisp edges and soft and chewy in the middle.
You May Like: Gluten Free Meal Prep Ideas
Add Almond Flour Gradually
Remember that tip about not over-beating your ingredients? Thats why you need to go slowly.
If you dump in your almond flour all in at once, it wont mix as well and youll end up doing it too long to get the result you want. And then, your shortbread keto cookies wont have that perfect shortbread crumb so do it gradually. Itll be worth it!
How Do You Measure Gluten Free Flour
When baking with gluten free flour is it essential to measure your gluten free flour very carefully.
- Whisking your gluten free flour This ensures the flour is well combined and it is aerated.
- Carefully scoop your gluten free flour into a measuring cup USING A SPOON. Don’t scoop the flour directly with the cup. You’ll inadvertently get too much gluten free flour.
- Level your measuring cup off with a knife, or using the handle of the spoon. I have some self-leveling measuring cups that I love. If I’m using them, I never forget to level off my gluten free flour.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Egg Free Breakfast
Can You Freeze Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Yes, you can freeze them frosted or un-frosted. I like to freeze them frosted so they dont dry out too much in the freezer. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Did you make these gluten free sugar cookies? Let me know if you cut them into shapes. Leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
Recommended Reading: Is Kraft Singles American Cheese Gluten Free
Tips For Making The Best Gluten
- I like to mix all the wet ingredients before the dry ingredients, makes for better consistency.
- Bake on parchment paper to ensure the cookies dont stick.
- Use superfine sugar in the cookie dough. This is not the time for a thicker sugar. We want a fine grain.
- To use cut out shapes with these cookies, just refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes beforehand so it holds its shape better.
Also Check: Gluten Free Dairy Free Dessert Recipes
How To Store Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
These cookies have a lot of moisture in them so youll want to keep them in one single layer, otherwise theyll end up sticking together. You can store them in an airtight container, plastic bag, or covered plate at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days! Better yet? Pop them in the freezer for up to 3 months!
So if youre looking for a healthy treat to whip up this weekend look no further. These gluten free chocolate chip cookies are calling, nay, SCREAMING your name.
How To Make The Piping Frosting
This piping frosting is a simple powdered sugar frosting thats easy to make.
Don’t Miss: Krusteaz Gluten Free Cornbread Mix
Can I Freeze Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Yes! Both the dough and baked gluten free sugar cookies freeze beautifully.
- To freeze the dough: Divide the dough in half then wrap each half tightly in plastic wrap. Place inside a Ziplock freezer bag then freeze. Thaw the dough in the refrigerator overnight then bake per recipe instructions.
- To freeze the baked cookies: Cool cookies completely then layer in a Ziplock freezer bag and freeze. Eat or frost directly from the freezer they thaw quickly.
I hope you LOVE these sweet and chewy gluten free sugar cookies. Take it from me the girl who lost count of how many she ate theyre super fun to make, but even more fun to eat. Enjoy!
Substitution Questions For These Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies:
If you try these paleo chocolate chip cookies, Id love to hear how they come out!
Thanks again to Bobs Red Mill for sponsoring this post! Be sure to check out some of their other gluten-free flours if youre into gluten-free and paleo baking. 🙂
And here are some resources if youre new to the vegan or gluten-free diet:
- Erinreplies to ChantelleApril 20, 2020 @ 1:35 pm
Haha. Glad to hear that! I hope youll find some other recipes that you like. 🙂 Thanks a bunch for your feedback!
These are amazing!! I swapped out the sugar for xylitol since Im on the candida diet and chopped up an unsweetened chocolate bar. You wouldnt guess that they are gluten and sugar free! My roommates with no dietary restrictions really liked them too. Thank you soo much! 🙂
Im so sorry for just now seeing your comment! It landed up in spam for some reason and with my son home the last 2 months, I havent been diligent with checking that. Im surprised that they worked well with just xylitol! Was there an aftertaste? What was the texture like? Did you use 3/4 cup of 150 grams? Im so curious. 😀 Thanks again for your feedback and sorry again for my ridiculously slow reply!
Oooh, some sea salt sounds amazing! Ill have to try that, too. Thanks for the tip )
Thanks for coming back to rate it! 🙂
You May Like: Are Lara Bars Gluten Free
How To Make Easy Keto Sugar Cookies
1.) Mix your dry ingredients – almond flour / ground almonds, coconut flour, powdered sweetener, baking powder and xanthan gum, if using.
I’ve used an erythritol monk fruit sweetener blend for this recipe. Erythritol works great in sweet Keto Recipes because it sets hard.
Xanthan gum gives the cookies a better crumb structure, it is often used in gluten free baking. The recipe works without, but your cookies will be a little more brittle.
2.) Add the wet ingredients. In this case, that’s just the butter and the vanilla extract. If you want cookies to taste utterly buttery, you need a decent-sized amount of butter
TIP: To elevate the taste of these low carb sugar cookies, scrape out the seeds from 1 vanilla pod and use this in place of the vanilla extract. This is not the cheapest option, but will taste AMAZING.
3.) Aaaaand mix! I like to use my trusted old food processor for this, but you can use a stick blender or an electric mixer.
TIP: The dough will be soft in the beginning – let it sit a couple of minutes and wait until the coconut flour absorbs some of the moisture.
4.) Now get yourself some cling film and roll the sugar cookie dough into a log that’s roughly 6 cm in diameter. Wrap the log in cling film and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes or twice as long if you put it in the fridge instead. It’s much easier to handle when it’s cold.
6.) And this is how your Keto sugar cookies will look like after 8-10 minutes in the oven – lightly browned on the edges.
What Do You Use Instead Of Butter To Make Gluten Free Drop Sugar Cookies Vegan
Instead of the butter, use your favorite vegan butter or palm shortening.
I’ve found best results when I use half vegan butter and half palm shorting .
The reason I like using half vegan butter and half palm shortening is that sometimes vegan butter can make the cookies have a “fake butter” taste.
The vegan butter can also melt too quickly, resulting in oily cookies.
The palm shortening melts slower, helping the cookie to spread not to much and not too little, but just the right amount.
The palm shortening is also unflavored, and when combined with the vegan butter I feel like I get the perfect taste.
You May Like: Is Dove Milk Chocolate Gluten Free
Why Youll Love These Gluten
- The taste and texture. These are classic cut out cookies. Theyre delicate, buttery, and not too sweet. Plus: they hold their shape during baking.
- Easy to Make. The dough takes only a few minutes to make.
- Freeze beautifully. After baking, allow the cookies to cool and then place into a freezer container.
Creaming The Butter And Sweetener Together Is A Must
Use a hand mixer to mix your butter and sweetener together. This is called creaming. Always begin at a lower speed, so that butter and sweetener dont fly everywhere, then increase as it starts to incorporate.
This method creates little pockets of air, so you end up with more cookies and more is never a bad thing when youre talking cookies, is it?
Also, because the air doesnt conduct heat as well, the butter and sweetener in the cookies melts more slowly during baking. That means your keto almond cookies end up with a more delicate crumb.
Please note: This method doesnt work quite as well with coconut oil, which is why the texture is a little different if using that, but it does still work to some degree.
Also Check: Low Carb Gluten Free Pizza Crust
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough
Yes, you can! Cookie dough is super easy to freeze.
To freeze, chill the cookie dough balls in the refrigerator for one hour. After the hour, place the chilled cookie dough balls into a plastic freezer bag.
The cookie dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When its time to bake the cookies, just remove them from the freezer and place them on a lined baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake on a prepared baking sheet for 12-14 minutes .
Why This Recipe Works:
- Simple Ingredients: All thats required for these gluten-free sugar cookies are 8 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Easy to Make: The dough comes together quickly, and with the help of a bit of chilling in the freezer, can be easily rolled into balls and then coated in sugar before being baked. Plus, an entire batch of these holiday cookies is ready in under 45 minutes!
- Crispy Exterior, Soft and Chewy Interior: These sugar cookies are crispy outside thanks to the sugar coating, but have a deliciously soft and chewy center! Heaven in a single bite!
- Totally Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free: Using gluten-free flour instead of regular flour, and coconut oil instead of butter, these sugar cookies are 100% gluten-free and dairy-free, which means that even those who have Celiac disease or gluten and lactose intolerances can enjoy them without issues!
Gluten Free Baking Mix Vs Gluten Free Flour
We used the King Arthur gluten free baking mix in this recipe, which has salt and baking soda in it already. So if you noticed those things missing from the ingredients in the recipe, thats because our mix already had them.
If you use a gluten free flour blend that doesnt have salt or baking soda in it already, add 1/4 teaspoon of each to the recipe .
How To Make Sugar Cookies Gluten
To make sugar cookies gluten-free, Ive opted to use almond flour. Like some of my other cookie recipes, I feel good about giving my family treats that have *some* form of nutrition.
We get enough sugar and carbs in our diets, Id rather try to find some small ways to bump up the nutritional value in every area I can.
Almond flour is full of healthy fats, fiber, and protein, so even when my son wants a second cookie, I can feel good that he is filling up on more than just sugar thats going to make him crash after 30 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Croutons Whole Foods
Love This Recipe Save It For Later
I hope if youve been looking for a gluten-free sugar cookie recipe thats simple, delicious, and easy to make that youll give this recipe a try. Enjoy them plain or by customizing them to make them your own!
If you loved this post, I hope that youll share it with your friends on and pin it for future reference on .
What Gluten Free Flour Blend Should I Use In This Recipe
This recipe works beautifully with two particular gluten free flour blends. The first is the Zest For Baking flour blend. If you havent mixed up a big batch of my gluten free flour mix, head over there and mix that up first. Youll need 390 grams, or 3 cups, of it for this recipe. Plus, its a versatile mix to keep on hand for future recipes that call for gluten free flour mix.
The other option is King Arthurs Cup for Cup flour mix. It also works very well in this recipe.
Also Check: Gluten And Dairy Free Frozen Meals
Tips For Rolling Out The Gluten
- If your dough is too soft, and transferring the cut out shapes to the baking sheet is difficult, pop the raw dough in the refrigerator for 20-60 minutes. Humidity and temperature will vary greatly, and it will effect your dough. The temperatures and humidity I deal with here in Alaska are drastically different than what someone in Florida might experience.
- If your dough is too crumbly, it needs more moisture. Either wet your hands, and then gently massage the dough, or pop the dough back into the bowl of your electric mixer. Add additional water, teaspoon by teaspoon until your dough is back to being pliable.
- This pie crust bag is also super handy for rolling out cookie dough, not just pie crust!
Also Check: How To Know If Something Is Gluten Free
What Are Sugar Cookies
Hugely popular in the United States, sugar cookies make their appearance during the holiday season .
Get delicious GLUTEN-FREE recipes each week!
Traditionally sugar cookies refer to cookies whose main ingredients include: sugar, flour, butter, eggs and vanilla .
The dough may be formed by hand, rolled out with a rolling pin and cut into shapes, or even dropped onto a baking sheet before baking.
You can either use cookie cutters to make a hard cut-out sugar cookie, or a soft sugar cookie.
Oftentimes, sugar cookies are decorated with extra sugar, royal icing, frosting, sprinkles, or a mixture of these.
Also Check: Ketel One Botanicals Gluten Free