Gluten Free & Dairy Free Recipes
Our Healthy Living Whole Foods Cookbook has lots of gluten-free and dairy-free recipes. Use the cookbook’s online search tools to find exactly what you are looking for. You can check the “Gluten Free” and/or “Dairy Free” box to see only those types of recipes. Enjoy and share what you like with your family and friends!
Applied Nutrition Vegan Pro Protein Strawberry
Made with a custom blend of soya protein, pea protein, brown rice protein and hemp protein to deliver a full amino acid profile, this dairy-free powder has an impressive 25g protein per serving for the growth and maintenance of muscle mass.
It also contains branched-chain amino acids profile leucine, isoleucine and valine.
- Dairy-Free Protein Source
- Use of natural sweeteners
Makes a great vegan muscle building shake when mixed with a plant based milk like soya, oat or almond milk
Dairy Free: Why You Shouldnt Cry Over Spilt Milk
What is dairy?
Dairy is food that is made from milk. Typical dairy foods are cheese, butter, yoghurt, cream, ice cream, and of course, milk. The key elements of milk are casein, whey, and lactose. Youâll have seen them listed on food labels. Casein and whey are proteins, while lactose is a type of sugar. A problem with lactose is the reason so many people seek dairy free foods.
Why do people eat dairy free products?
The main reason people eat dairy free products is that theyâre lactose intolerant â their body cannot process the lactose present in dairy products.
Lactose intolerance is surprisingly common. Around 65% of people have a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Symptoms include:
- Mouth ulcers
The best way to cope with lactose intolerance is to completely remove dairy from your diet. By cutting out dairy, these problems can disappear. That is why so many people eat dairy free products.
While lactose intolerance is the primary reason people eat dairy free, many choose dairy free products for other reasons, including:
- To lose weight
- To help with thyroid issues
- Personal preference
What are dairy free alternatives?
There are many dairy free alternatives made without a trace of milk. Theyâre free from lactose, casein, and whey. Theyâre great alternatives for people who cannot eat dairy.
So what should I eat? Dairy free products include:
How do you know a product is dairy free?
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Pancake Mix Whole Foods
Why Go Gluten Free
Gluten has been a big target for the dietary and wellness media for a few years, but who actually is at risk and should be avoiding products containing gluten? Should everyone? There are two main groups that are negatively affected by gluten: those with Celiac Disease and those with Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity.
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder and the most severe form of gluten intolerance, affecting approximately 1% of the population. As an autoimmune disorder, the body attacks itself, specifically ingested gluten, which damages the lining of the gut, causing nutrient deficiencies, anemia, and severe digestive issues.
Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
Those who face issues of gluten sensitivity but do not test positive for Celiac disease are a part of a group known as non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. Research is limited in the number of individuals affected, but estimates consider up to 13% of the population could fall within this group. Symptoms of non-Celiac gluten sensitivity include diarrhea, stomach pain, tiredness, bloating, and depression. Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity is not yet fully explored, but it is hypothesized that some individuals who fall into this category may suffer gluten sensitivity symptoms due to other causes and/or conditions.
Best Gluten Free Protein Powders For Weight Loss
As recently as the 1990s, the few doctors and nutritionists that had heard of gluten only knew it to be the result of a chemical bond between the molecules of glutenin and gliadin that allowed things like pizza dough to have its sticky character.
Today, we know that about 1 percent of the population suffers from celiac disease, an intestinal condition triggered by exposure to this ingredient. But, many health professionals believe its danger do not stop there.
As such, gluten-free foods and supplements have become a hot item and there are a growing number of people who consume these types of products.
The following items are gluten-free and hence safe for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity who do not have celiac disease:
Don’t Miss: Gluten And Dairy Free Diet Plan For Beginners
Most Breads Crackers And Wraps
Most breads, crackers, and wraps contain gluten. The only way to know for sure is to read the ingredient list and check to see which grains are used.
If you have a gluten intolerance, avoid the following:
- white bread
- malt vinegar
As an alternative, you can make your own condiments from gluten-free ingredients or purchase ones that are certified gluten-free.
Chips Crackers & Salty Snacks
- Siete Foods grain free tortilla chips and queso This is literally the best dairy free queso Ive ever had! You can if you cant find them in store.
- Biena vegan ranch chickpea puffs and some of their roasted chickpeas: dark chocolate, cinnamon crunch, habanero, BBQ, sea salt, honey roasted, and rockin ranch
- Apple chips Technically these are sweet and not salty, but theyre a chip so I guess Ill include em here? I love these apple chips for snacking or for making homemade versions of a Panera fuji apple chicken salads, which can easily be made gluten free and dairy free at home.
- These are super crunchy but I like that about em. Theyre great for random solo snacking, or topping with tuna for a more substantial snack.
- Glutino Pretzels These are great when youre craving a salty snack but you can also use them in your own homemade trail mixes. Or, grab some of these and dip them in a dairy-free chocolate dessert hummus.
You May Like: Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal
Get The Clean Protein You Need For Delicious Non
Dairy-free protein is becoming easier to find thanks to advances in protein science. But you should be diligent about reading your labels to check for a few details. Here are a few things to double-check:
- Make sure the ingredients are clean and safe
- I.e. organic, no fillers, sourced from reputable locations
- Make sure its a complete protein
- Adding in egg white protein powder ensures that you get all the EAAs and BCAAs you need daily
Dairy-free proteins come with many health benefits, like avoiding lactose, keeping up your protein intake, and getting in the lean protein that your body needs without the extra sugar or carbs. But dont trust just any dairy-free label. You want to make sure that you are drinking the right kind of protein with a complete amino acid profile.
Make A Charcuterie Board For Every Holiday
You might even decide to make your snack board themed for a special occasion. Here are a few ideas on how to make your snack board super fun and festive:
- Use all red and pink foods for Valentines Day: beet hummus, red pepper sticks, strawberries, pepperoni, red candies, etc.
- Use all green food for St. Patricks Day: kiwifruit, green grapes, green pepper sticks, pistachios, herbs, celery, etc.
- Use red, white, and blue foods for the 4th of July or Labor Day: berries, bananas, pear slices, gluten-free toast, cashews, blue tortilla chips, etc.
- Use fall colored foods for Thanksgiving: salami, ham, oranges, figs, grapes, pecans, walnuts, apples, etc.
- Use red and green foods for Christmas: pepperoni, apples, cucumbers, grapes, green olives, kiwifruit, tomatoes, dairy-free pesto, fresh herbs mixed into your hummus, etc.
Also Check: Gluten Free Snacks For Kids
Owyn Plant Based Protein Shake Dark Chocolate With 20g Vegan Protein From Organic Pumpkin Seed Flax Pea Blend Omega
About this item
- 100% CERTIFIED CLEAN VEGAN: Vegan protein shake that provides superior health benefits and never, ever, compromises on taste. Delicious nutrition made for active & healthy people who care about what they put in their body & where it comes from.
- CONTAINS 20 GRAMS OF VEGAN PROTEIN FROM PEA, ORGANIC FLAX OIL & PUMPKIN SEEDS: Delivers all 9 essential amino acids and naturally occurring BCAAs and high vegan omega-3 to enhance muscle recovery and promote optimal daily health
- SUPERFOODS AND PREBIOTICS: Great source of superfoods greens from kale, broccoli and spinach, along with prebiotics, fiber, for digestive support.
- GLUTEN, DAIRY & SOY FREE: Peanut & tree nut free, egg-free, non-GMO project verified, kosher, free of all artificial colors, flavors & preservatives, dairy free, low sugar content , no sugar alcohols or stevia.
- 18 MONTH SHELF LIFE: Shelf stable without the need for refrigeration, except after opening. Just chill, Shake well, and enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Is Annies Mac And Cheese Gluten Free
Health Benefits Of Dairy
Milk and dairy foods in moderation can be healthy to the larger population who does not suffer with related allergies or sensitivities. For these individuals, milk and dairy foods can be a source of calcium and vitamin D, as well as other proteins and essential nutrients.2 Further, the American Heart Association recommends 2-3 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk for adults and children, and 3-4 servings for teenagers and older adults per day.3 However, for those who cannot consume dairy-based products, the alternatives can still provide many of these benefits, and these benefits can also be provided through dietary supplements or more diversity in the diet.
You May Like: Domino’s Gluten Free Pizza Review
Gluten Free Dairy Free Snack Recipes
If you really want to get fancy, try whipping up one of these tasty gluten free dairy free snack recipes. They take a little more time and effort, but are delicious!
1. Gluten Free Raspberry Muffins After picking some raspberries at a local farm, I was inspired to make these tasty muffins! Theyre sweet and delicious and are topped with a lovely little lemon glaze.
2. Maple Glazed Trail Mix This homemade trail mix is quick to make and is top-8 allergen free. Its a great option to prep ahead on the weekend and then enjoy all week long by the handful.
3. Strawberry Oatmeal Bars: These Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are delicious! Theyre gluten free, vegan, and easy to make-perfect for a nourishing dessert or whenever youre craving a little something sweet. The recipe calls for a low-sugar sweetener called Swerve, but you can also just use regular sugar.
4. No-Bake Cranberry Energy Bites: These 4-ingredient no-bake cranberry energy bites are gluten and dairy- free, taste heavenly, and make an ideal snack before dinner or post-workout.
5. Banana Nut Smoothie: Not sure what to do with all of your ripe bananas? Freeze them to have on hand when you have a hankering for a healthy snack. This banana nut smoothie can be mixed in minutes, is packed full of good nutrition, and actually tastes like a milkshake!
8. Vegan Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies: Though these dont have gluten or dairy theyre packed with delicious flavor and that classic chewy peanut butter cookie texture!
Foods To Avoid With A Gluten Intolerance
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Many people avoid gluten, a group of proteins found in grains like wheat, barley, and rye, due to personal preference or a medical condition .
Celiac disease, wheat allergy, and non-celiac gluten sensitivity all involve an adverse reaction to gluten and are treated with a gluten-free diet. These conditions are considered forms of gluten intolerance .
While both celiac disease and NCGS may lead to intestinal damage and cause symptoms like diarrhea, gas, and bloating, celiac is an autoimmune condition linked to other serious health effects, such as anemia, stunted growth, and neurological effects .
Wheat allergy refers to an allergic reaction to wheat proteins, the symptoms of which may be life threatening. This condition is treated with a wheat-free diet, not necessarily a gluten-free diet .
Although people with wheat allergies must avoid wheat, most are able to eat other grains, including gluten-containing ones like barley and rye.
Meanwhile, people with celiac disease and NCGS must avoid all gluten-containing foods to control symptoms. Notably, many healthy foods are naturally gluten-free, and quite a few companies make scrumptious gluten-free products.
Here are 8 foods to avoid if you have a gluten intolerance, as well as 7 you can safely eat.
You May Like: Is Raisin Bran Gluten Free
Enjoy Our Gluten And Milk Free Foods
We want everybody to be able to enjoy our delicious product range, which is why we have now ensured all of our fresh bakery products are now dairy free. We use no dairy-containing ingredients, and our bakery facility in Newburn is completely dairy free which means our fresh bakery products are suitable for anybody with a dairy allergy or intolerance, as well as people with coeliac disease.
So, build indulgent sandwiches with our gluten and milk free farmhouse bread or sandwich thins, pack our soft rolls with your favourite fillings, or check out our recipes section for loads of great ideas for using our gluten and dairy free wraps. Starting a gluten and milk free diet needn’t mean the end of great food in fact, you might find it’s just the beginning.
How To Shop For Gluten
Shopping for gluten-free and dairy-free foods may not be as difficult as you think. Not only are many of the foundational foods we eat gluten-free and dairy-free, but products market to other groups, such as vegans, also guarantee the absence of milk-based ingredients! Further, shopping gluten and dairy free fits well within the recommendations for many other proposed healthy eating habits, such as shopping the perimeter of the store or buying more whole foods with fewer ingredients. So grab your pen and paper or pull up the notes on your phone, and let’s get started!
Raw and Unprocessed
First, try to buy raw and unprocessed foods to cook from scratch yourself. By doing this, you can control and eliminate a lot of the unnecessary additives in your food and become more aware of the ingredients you ingest. Raw and unprocessed foods often have fewer ingredients in them as opposed to their cooked and processed counterparts. The culmination of a diet based on processed foods, each with many of their own additives, not only contribute to you ingesting foods that are not necessary to your diet or health but also open more opportunities to expose yourself to gluten or dairy-contaminated foods.
You May Like: Gluten Free Cookie Mix Walmart
Owyn Vegan Protein Shake
At first, this bottle was slightly annoying to open, as it not only has a plastic seal but a foil seal covering the top that was tricky to remove. However, both the Cold Brew Coffee and vanilla flavors were delicious enough to make up for it. We loved how this drink is free of the top eight allergens, stevia, and sugar alcohols is high in fiber, and it comes in more outside-the-box flavors like Cookies N Cream and Turmeric Golden.
Types Of Dairy Sensitivity
Lactose intolerance is a common side effect of celiac disease. So it’s not surprising that in addition to avoiding gluten, many people with celiac also avoid milk products.
Other people may avoid dairy products along with gluten because of dairy allergies. Some adopt a vegan or Paleo diet for health or lifestyle reasons and steer clear of dairy. If you’re new to the idea of a gluten-free dairy-free diet, it will help to know the following terms.
Recommended Reading: Kraft Gluten Free Macaroni And Cheese
Maintaining A Gluten And Milk Free Diet
Cutting both gluten and milk out of your diet may seem daunting at first, but you will soon feel the benefits if you’re intolerant. Fortunately a huge range of foods are naturally free of gluten check out our gluten free food guide for more information.
You will need to avoid milk , butter, yoghurt, cheese and cream luckily there are plenty of dairy free alternatives on the market, often soya based. It’s also important to carefully read the ingredients lists on packaged goods, chocolate, pastry, biscuits, ready meals, sauces, soups and so on just like going gluten free, you might find it’s easier to make your meals from scratch. You can find a range of dairy free products in the free from aisle at major supermarkets.
If you’re following a gluten and milk free diet, it’s absolutely essential you keep a close eye on your nutrient intake particularly calcium. Vital for healthy bones, calcium can be found naturally in soya and tofu, chickpeas, kidney beans, nuts, and green leafy vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage. Vitamin D is also important to help you absorb calcium, and is found in oily fish and eggs. Dietary supplements are also available.
What’s more, if you have a gluten free prescription you can get our pharmacy gluten and dairy free loaves, which are fortified with calcium and iron.
Best Dairy Free Brands
The best brands for non-dairy protein powder include:
- Vega Offering premium, plant based food alternatives, Vega are a leading brand of nutritional supplements. Vega offer shakes and powder to fulfil your protein needs, whether youre a vegan who requires a protein source or youre a sports enthusiast who needs protein after a workout.
- Sunwarrior As a brand committed to providing the best quality plant based supplements, Sunwarrior are a growing nutritional company using organic ingredients and recycled packaging materials.
- Garden of Life Manufacturing clean, pure blends for nutritional supplements, Garden of Life offer organic, certified gluten free products, from organic plant protein to protein with added fiber.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix