Dairy Free Baking Tips
A lot of us gluten free bakers are faced with the challenge of also baking dairy free. Lactose is the biggest culprit
Want to know more about dairy and why it might be bothering you? Read my post all about it! If youre looking to bake dairy and lactose-free, read on .
Making the switch from butter
If youre used to baking with butter and really crave that buttery flavor in your baked goods, there is really only one dairy-free solution: Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks .
One variety of this product is soy-free, but all are vegan, and work seamlessly as a substitute for butter in recipes calling for butter. I try to avoid unhealthy fats, hydrogenated oils, unnatural preservatives, emulsifiers or trans-fat, and this product works for me in everything.
If your family needs to avoid soy and dairy, another option is sustainably harvested palm oil shortening. Products like Spectrum® Palm Oil Shortening are a great substitute, although they lack the butter flavor. Coconut oil is another baking alternative to shortening, or even butter.
Coconut oil brands like Nutiva® and Kelapo® Coconut Oil are brands to look for however it works better in some applications than in others. For example, it tends to make pastry and pie crust doughs more fragile muffins and other recipes where the fats are creamed with the sugar work better.
Other Dairy Free Substitutions
Homemade Dairy-Free Whipped Cream:
Mayo Is Usually Made From Eggs Oil Vinegar Lemon And It Could Also Contain Mustered
Is mayo dairy free and gluten free. Definition of containing less than 20 parts per million of gluten. Most mayo brands will show the gluten free label on their bottle/jar so you can be sure they have passed the testing and do not contain any gluten. april 9, 2017
Eggs, oil, vinegar, lemon and sometimes mustard/mustard seed or other spices. This is a foolproof recipe for simple, easy and healthy homemade mayonnaise made in a blender. Hellmanns mayonnaise range include the classic real, light and lighter than light products available in multiple sized jars and convenient squeezy bottles to add a dollop of inspiration to household of all sizes.
The ingredients used for their original vegenaise are: Is mayo gluten free and dairy free? Original mindful dressing & sandwich spread
I cleared up cystic acne and balanced my blood sugar and hormones naturally with food! Blend until the mixture thickens. Therefore, unless a jar or bottle of mayonnaise states it is gluten free, it is safer to assume it is not.
If needed, blend in additional cornstarch to help thicken the mayonnaise. Does not split when heated In respect to this, is hellman’s mayonnaise gluten and dairy free?
Although mayo is often mistaken for dairy, most mayo does not contain milk. Instead, most commercial brands of mayo are made using a mix of spices, egg yolks, and lemon juice or vinegar. Provides creative freedom when cooking
Avocado Mayonnaise Dairy Free Veggie Dip Dairy Free Salads Gluten Free Dips
So Delicious Oatmilk Yogurt Alternative
Oat milk has been a poor performer in dairy-free yogurt, but So Delicious has managed to create blends that have a favorable taste and texture without too much sugar. Perhaps its due to their creative flavors theyve ventured away from the norm with options like Spiced Pear & Fig and Strawberry Rhubarb.
- Base: Oatmilk
- Unique Attributes: Unique Flavors, Top Allergen-Free & Coconut-Free
- Appeals Most To: Oat Milk Die Hards
- Key Dietary Notes: Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, coconut-free*
- Unsweetened Option? No
- Remaining Wishes: If this oatmilk yogurt can stand alone, plain and unsweetened varieties would be great.
Also Check: Cascadian Farm Granola Gluten Free
What Are Good Toppings For Dairy Free Coconut Yogurt
Now that you have your dairy free coconut yogurt made, you may wonder what is the best way for you to top your vegan coconut yogurt. Great question. One of our personal favorite ways is by topping it with a variety of fresh berries. In the pictures, you see smashed strawberries at the bottom and the topped with raspberries. This dairy free coconut yogurt is also amazing with blueberries.
Heres a few other ideas for how to top your dairy free coconut yogurt recipe:
- Shake an entire can of full fat coconut milk.
- Pour the can into a glass jar .
- Dump the contents of four vegan probiotic capsules into the jar, then disgard the plastic capsules.
- Stir with a wooden spoon. *DO NOT USE METAL
- Once stirred, cut a 12 inch piece of cheesecloth and fold in in half until it is a square that covers your jar.
- Use a rubberband to hold the cheesecloth onto the jar. Place the jar on the counter and let sit for 24-48 hours. If after 24 hours, it doesnt appear thick enough, let sit for another 24 hours.
- Once the time has elapsed, remove the cheesecloth and either place in the fridge to get cold or serve immediately.
- Add fresh berries or granola to the top if desired.
Lets see your creations!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Wraps And Tortillas
Recommended Reading: Is Wishbone Italian Dressing Gluten Free
How To Make A Yogurt Parfait
Yogurt parfaits are one of my favorite snacks since they are so easy to make, and they can easily be made allergy friendly. Plus, they are great for breakfast, snacks, or dessert!
My easy yogurt parfaits have just 3 ingredients: dairy-free yogurt, Crunchy Rollers in your favorite flavor , and fresh fruit .
If youre watching your sugar intake, Id recommend a lower sugar or sugar-free yogurt since the fruit adds enough sweetness to this recipe. If you use a plain dairy-free yogurt, you can easily stir in a couple drops of Stevia if you dont like lower sugar yogurtso you get the same sweetness without all the sugar often found in regular yogurts.
The Crunchy Rollers dont have a lot of sugar in them , so they are a great addition to this recipe! Plus, they are perfectly crisp to add a nice crunch to this parfait without being too hard. #snackfreely
We picked strawberries for this recipe, but you can use any fresh fruit that you like: blueberries, raspberries, chopped mango, kiwi, whatever you love best!
An Easy Yogurt Cake Recipe
Heres a simple cake to celebrate those small but happy moments. Its a delicate French-inspired lemon pound cake with a moist crumb and fragrant with citrus lemon zest, adapted from Beetas recipe over at Mon Petit Four.
This recipe is both a big favorite both at home and here on the blog, and literally everyone who has tried it always tells me how much they love it.
Don’t Miss: Kraft Real Mayo Gluten-free
Gluten And Dairy Free Spreads And Dips
- Nunature Cocodate an amazing alternative for chocolate spread: a date and cacao spread with vanilla extract and nothing else. Its soy free, gluten free and dairy free.
- Rigoni Spread a dairy free spreadable cream of cocoa and hazelnuts that tastes just like Nutella but made with better organic ingredients. The only drawback is probably the amount of sugar.
- Eden Apple Butter my daughters favorite when combine with a seed butter. This is a tangy sweet spread with no refined sugars, additives or preservatives added.
- Pumpkin Seed Butter its raw and made from sprouted seeds, no added ingredients, such as sugar or salt and it has a smooth and creamy consistency, absolutely delicious if you cant enjoy nut butters.
- Cheeze Fermented Dairy Free Dip super flavorful soft and tangy plant based non-dairy cashew spread: vegan, oil free, gluten free and dairy free. Contains soy.
- Violife Cream Cheese tastes and smells nice plus its creamy. The ingredients: Coconut Oil, Potato Starch, Salt , Glucono-delta-lactone, Flavor , Olive Extract, Vitamin B12.
Why This Recipe Works
It turns out that making gluten-free naan bread is really not as difficult as youd imagine. This gluten-free naan recipe is also totally yeast-free and dairy-free
I know youre going to be making this amazing garlic naan recipe on repeat simply because of how easy it is to make, and most importantly, because of how absolutely delicious it tastes!
Soft, tender and slightly chewy the way real naan should be, you wont miss traditional naan at all! Plus, a batch of this naan recipe is ready in just 30 minutes, so whats not to love??
Weve already made it TWICE in a month and Im guessing well be making more of this soon!
Also Check: Klondike Heath Gluten Free
Freeze For Later Cooking Day Directions
These directions help you cook or prepare this meal PRIOR to being frozen for serving later .
The Finest Most Delicious Plant
We are all in. Singularly focused on making the finest, most delicious plant-based foods that we possibly can. It started with yogurts, dips, and spreads. But we didnt stop there. We keep innovating to bring even more wholesome, delicious, GURT-tastic foods to the market. And even though it may not be what others choose to do, the fact is, were kind of obsessed with it.
Read Also: Substitute For Bread Crumbs Gluten Free
How To Make Dairy
For a real yogurt-like texture, I recommend using full fat coconut milk. Other options such as almond milk, cashew milk, or soy milk dont compare to the creamy texture it gives this yogurt.
Now that you know how to make plain yogurt try adding fruit preserves or fresh fruit to the bottom of the dish or jar a homemade fruit-at-the-bottom yogurt.
Were On A Smooth Delicious Journeyand Everybodys Invited
Here at Silk, we believe in making delicious plant-based food that does right by you and fuels our passion for the planet. Thatâs been our elevator pitch for more than 25 years, and itâs why weâre among the OGs of dairy-free. Weâre here for everyone, from vegans to burger lovers, because our purpose is progress. And everyone can make room in the fridge for that.
Don’t Miss: Klondike Bars Gluten Free
The Coconut Collaborative Coconut Yogurt
I had the chance to try this scrumptious fruit-on-the-bottom, no added sweetener yogurt at a tradeshow, and was blown away by how sweet and satisfying it was. The company is small and mindful of people, the planet, and ingredients, which makes them easy to support.
- Base: Coconut Milk
- Unique Attributes: Fruit on the Bottom, Glass Jars, No Added Sugar
- Appeals Most To: Socially-Driven Consumers
- Key Dietary Notes*: Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, tree nut-free*
- Unsweetened Option? Yes
- Remaining Wishes: Im okay with paying more for a premium product. But for the higher price, a slightly larger size would be great. These are on the smaller side for yogurt cups .
Forager Project Organic Cashewmilk Yogurt
Truthfully, their Coconut Cashewgurt was the best. Sadly it was discontinued before it even had a chance in the market. Fortunately, Foragers classic Cashewmilk Yogurt line is also pretty darn good, and it still has a touch of coconut cream for richness. Their Unsweetened version is actually quite popular as a sour cream substitute.
- Base: Cashewmilk
- Unique Attributes: Versatile Taste and Adapts Well to Recipes
- Appeals Most To: Multi-Purpose Shoppers
- Key Dietary Notes: Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free*
- Unsweetened Option? Yes
- Remaining Wishes: I just miss the added touch of luxury in the coconut cashewgurt. It had an addictive full-bodied finish.
Don’t Miss: Chickpea Flour Publix
Crunchy Gluten Free Dairy Free Snacks