Cottage Cheese With Fruit
Cottage cheese is popular as a weight loss food, partly because it is relatively low in calories and contains a deccent amount of protein.
Adding sliced fruit on top is an easy way to make cottage cheese more interesting, as cottage cheese doesnt have a strong flavor of its own. Fresh fruit also provides extra fiber, which is always a good thing.
However, if youre going to eat cottage cheese, be sure to check the ingredients first. While cottage cheese tends to be gluten free, some brands do use some form of wheat starch.
Sauces Spices And Condiments That Need A Second Look:
- Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce: Both of these condiments can be made using malt vinegar, which is not gluten-free. Double-check the ingredients.
- Barbecue sauce: Avoid BBQ sauces made with barley-based beer, soy sauce, malt vinegar, barley malt flour and possibly bourbon , as these typically contain gluten.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce is traditionally made with wheat, so it usually is not gluten-free unless otherwise marked.
- Malt vinegar: Malt vinegar isn’t just a French-fry dipper. It’s also found in some salad dressings and sauces and it’s not gluten-free. However, white vinegar, distilled vinegar and apple-cider vinegar are all gluten-free.
Avoid Sauces Containing Gluten
Lots of pasta sauces, gravies, stocks and condiments contain wheat flour, and therefore gluten, so ensure you read the label and exclude anything that isnt suitable. Instead, try making your own pasta sauces and gravies using cornflour, arrowroot or potato starch to thicken them for a gluten-free option.
Also Check: Knorr Caldo De Pollo Gluten Free
Filling Ingredients For Stuffed Peppers
The filling in this classic version is just a handful of simple ingredients, such as:
- Ground Beef: If youre not a fan of beef, ground chicken or turkey will work too.
- Onion & Garlic: adding both ingredients will kick up the savoriness.
- Tomatoes: Im using fire roasted diced tomatoes for that smoky depth of flavor
- Rice: You can use any kind of rice, including white, brown, or wild rice.
- Italian Seasoning: This spice blend is a classic combination of aromatic herbs.
- Cheese: Monterey Jack cheese pairs nicely with this recipe. But you can also use shredded Pepper Jack, Swiss, or Mozzarella.
Who Misses The Breading
You don’t need to hide the succulent charms of fresh chicken, fish, and beef under a bunch of bread. Go for lean meat without any additives and you’ll be eating right for a gluten-free diet. Do keep in mind that hot dogs and deli meats are processed, so check the ingredients for additives that might contain gluten.
Read Also: Publix Better Than Bouillon
Garden Veggie Vegan Buddha Bowl
How much nutrient-density can you squeeze into one bowl? A lot, as it turns out. This gluten-free dinner recipe is packed to the brim with a variety of micro and macronutrients, along with a range of tastes and textures. Plus, its hard to resist bowl foods, right?
Tips For Eating A Gluten
Before we dive in, let me remind you that ALL recipes on Downshiftology are gluten-free. So really, that means you have hundreds of recipes to choose from. But Ive rounded up 40 or so of my favorites in this post for you today.
Starting a gluten-free diet may seem tricky, but it doesnt have to be. The key is to focus on all the things you can eat, and nourish your body with simple, wholesome, and nutritious ingredients. Thats the best way to make your gut happy!
Read Also: Where Are Graham Crackers In Walmart
Proteins That Need A Second Look:
- Processed meats: Including hot dogs, pepperoni, sausage, etc. These may have gluten added, so be sure to check the ingredient list and avoid those with wheat gluten, wheat starch or wheat dextrin.
- Cold cuts: It’s rare, but cold cuts may have gluten-containing ingredients added cross-contamination can also happen at the deli on the meat slicer.
- Ground meat: Ground beef or ground turkey can have gluten added in as filler. Be sure to check the ingredients carefully.
- Veggie burgers and other meat substitutes: Some flavors and brands are made with ingredients that contain gluten-check the labels.
The #1 Mistake People Make When Starting A Gluten
Pictured Recipe:Dark Chocolate Trail Mix
If you don’t plan out this new way of eating, it’s easy to default to gluten-free packaged foods. “I see people go on this diet and eat three meals and snacks from these foods,” says Begun. You know-the gluten-free muffins or brownies or cereals or pizza. These are often made with refined grains and heavy in sugar and often contain more calories than their traditional counterparts. The result: you may start to gain weight if this is the main change you make to your diet. So think of these as “on occasion” foods. It’s just like with any diet. A candy bar is just a candy bargluten-free or not.
Don’t Miss: Homemade & Healthy Gluten-Free Snacks
You May Like: Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Pie Crusts
Tasty Ways To Serve Baked Salmon
Now that you have a beautiful fillet, its time to build the perfect meal with it! Heres a few delicious options to keep your weekdays interesting.
- Round out a dinner plate. Add healthy carbs and greens to your plate! Carb ideas can be fluffy rice, mashed potatoes, or garlic herb roasted potatoes. And for veggies, sides such as green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, or sauteed spinach.
- Layer it onto a salad. Layer your fillet on a bed of leafy greens and tons of fresh veggies. From tomatoes, to cucumber, to red onions, the options are endless!
- Add it to a grain bowl. Theres many ways to go about this, depending on what flavors youre craving that day. But I personally love a Mediterranean bowl that includes quinoa, leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded purple cabbage, and a side of tzatziki.
Sweets That Are Usually Safe:
- Chocolate: Chocolate does not naturally contain gluten, though some manufacturers have add-ins that do contain gluten. There is also a risk of cross-contamination, so it’s best to check the label on chocolate.
- Hard candy and gummies: These candies don’t usually don’t contain gluten avoid those listing “wheat flour” as an ingredient.
- Ice cream, sherbet, gelato, frozen yogurt: These treats are generally gluten-free, but steer clear of those with pretzels, cookie dough, graham crackers, brownie bites and other gluten-containing add-ins.
Also Check: Klondike Ice Cream Gluten Free
Are These Dinners Meal Prep Friendly
These recipes are all meal prep friendly! Each post will have a section where it shares with you how to meal prep the recipe. If there isnt, let me know in the comments and Ill update that! In general, most of these recipes can be meal prepped for up to 4-5 days. Be sure to store them in an airtight container and if theres a dressing for a salad, store it separately to keep the salad fresh.
Seared Scallops With White Beans And Spinach
There’s no need to wait for a special occasion to dig into seared scallops. They’re best served with simple and substantial ingredients that bring out their natural, subtle taste. They’re a tremendous source of lean protein, super-easy to cook, and stack up well with bold and subtle flavors alike. Learn to properly sear a scallop and you’ll be won over.
Don’t Miss: Dove Strawberry Sorbet Bars
Sauces Spices And Condiments That Are Usually Safe:
- Mustard: Some specialty or flavored mustards may contain gluten, so always check the ingredients.
- Mayonnaise: Typically not made with gluten, but check the ingredients to be sure.
- Dry spices: Most single-ingredient herbs and spices do not contain gluten, though because of cross-contamination concerns it’s best to look for specifically labeled gluten-free spices or check with the manufacturer.
Dig In To Rice And Potatoes
On a gluten-free diet? Say hello to filling, flexible rice and potatoes. You can top them with just about anything, mix them into meals, or enjoy them on their own. Still mourning the loss of your favorite pasta? Here’s a secret: When you’re really craving a bowl of spaghetti, it is possible to find gluten-free pasta — just think rice noodles.
You May Like: Gluten Free Puff Pastry Frozen
Can Make Socializing Difficult
Many social situations revolve around food.
This can make it difficult to socialize if youre following a gluten-free diet. While many restaurants have gluten-free options, there is still a risk of food being contaminated with traces of gluten .
Sadly, studies have found that roughly 21% of people with celiac disease avoid social events so that they can stick to their gluten-free diet .
That said, you can still socialize while following a gluten-free diet. It simply requires a little extra preparation beforehand.
For example, if youre eating out, call the restaurant beforehand to see if they have gluten-free options. If youre going to a social gathering, you may need to bring your own food.
People who follow a gluten-free diet may be at risk of nutritional deficiencies and prone to constipation. Following a gluten-free diet can also be quite expensive and make social situations difficult.
Here is a sample menu with delicious, gluten-free meals.
Feel free to swap meal suggestions according to your liking.
Top 10 Tips For A Gluten
Coeliac disease is a lifelong, serious autoimmune disease caused by the immune system reacting to gluten – a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. The only treatment for the condition is a strict gluten-free diet for life.
For those newly diagnosed with the condition, the prospect of a strict gluten-free diet may seem daunting at first but armed with the right knowledge, the gluten-free diet can be relatively easy to adapt to. Here are Coeliac UK’s top 10 tips for everyday eating…
You May Like: Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Publix
How To Properly Thaw Frozen Salmon
- If you planned ahead of time, thaw it in the fridge. Ideally, you want to slowly thaw your salmon in the fridge overnight. Or about 12 hours before cooking it. Just make sure to keep the fish in its wrapping and place it on a plate to catch any liquid.
- If youre hours away from dinner, thaw it in cold water. Not to worry if thawing it overnight slipped your mind! You can thaw your salmon by submerging it in a big bowl of cold water. This should take about an hour or so, depending on its thickness. But be sure to swap for fresh water if it starts to become lukewarm.
Be Aware Of Cross Contamination
Even a tiny bit of gluten can be enough to cause symptoms for someone with coeliac disease, so make sure you minimise the risk of cross contamination with gluten-containing foods. Do this by washing down kitchen surfaces before use, using separate butters, spreads and jams to minimise the spread of crumbs and invest in some toaster bags to keep your gluten-free bread separate.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Bread Crumbs Substitute
There’s So Much More To Enjoy
Along with wine, potatoes, and rice, there are even more delicious foods and drinks that are safe to enjoy on a gluten-free diet, such as eggs, fish, meat, fruits, vegetables, and milk products.
A small note: When using frozen or canned fruits and vegetables, check for additives that might contain gluten. The same goes for processed cheese spreads and flavored yogurts.
What Can You Not Eat On A Gluten
A gluten-free diet means avoiding foods made from all types of wheat, triticale, barley, and rye. But that is not all! You should also skip those ingredients that have been in contact with these grains.
The list of foods that you cannot eat is long, yet dont lose heart as the list of the allowed foods is even bigger! Plus, if you cant make heads or tails of it, there are delivery services that can aid you in figuring out what to, and what not to eat.
Recommended Reading: Manini Gluten Free Ravioli
Is Baking Powder Gluten
Sometimes but you should check the label. Wheat starch may be added to baking powder to prevent it clumping together if this is the case, the product will not be gluten-free. But, there are plenty of gluten-free products available that contain corn or potato starch instead, which will be suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
Thick And Creamy Dairy
You might be surprised to discover the secret ingredient that makes this dairy-free chowder so thick and creamy and it aint cream, coconut milk or almond milk. A hearty gluten-free dish that is the perfect candidate for whatever veggies you have lying around in the fridge.
Recommended Reading: Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Recipe
Grilled Salmon With Chermoula Chickpeas
Eating gluten-free is a lot easier if you replace gluttonous items with naturally gluten-free productslike chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great source of carbohydrates and protein. Plus, they’re rich in dietary fiber. This grilled salmon with chickpeas is an easy weeknight meal you can whip up in less than 30 minutes and burst with flavor.
Get our recipe for Grilled Salmon with Chermoula Chickpeas.
How To Bake Salmon Perfectly
This amazingly moist and flakey salmon is done in just 15 minutes! It bakes super fast, so make sure to have your side dishes planned and ready to go! To get started, preheat your oven to 375F and then follow along below.
- Let the salmon come to room temperature. Take your fillets out of the fridge and let them sit on the counter for about 15 minutes.
- Make the butter mix. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter and lemon juice. Then brush the butter mix over the fillets in a baking dish.
- Its baking time. Sprinkle minced garlic, salt, pepper, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Ready to serve! For the finishing touch, sprinkle a bit of parsley and dill before serving.
Don’t Miss: Dove Ice Cream Bar Ingredients
Its From Those Kinds Of Experiences That I Share These 31 Gluten Free Dairy Free And Egg Free Recipes
These are recipes that my family loves. All of us, even my husband, who can eat whatever he wants.
These recipes for main dishes, desserts, and snacks are delicious and comforting. And even if you dont have anyone in your family with food allergies, I think youll find some new recipes for comfort food that will appeal to you, too!
Join me and learn how to successfully prepare delicious allergy friendly food your family will LOVE.
UPDATE: Ive compiled many of these recipes, plus added 11 new ones to make an ebook from this series. Allergy Friendly Comfort Food: 40 Delicious Recipes Made Without Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, or Soy is available as a PDF for easy reading on any device, or as a Kindle book.