How To Find Gluten
Even if the pretzels you’re buying contain no gluten ingredients, they may still be at risk for cross-contamination, which occurs when gluten foods come in contact with other ingredients either through manufacturing or preparation, according to the Celiac Disease Foundation.
You can avoid cross-contact by choosing your bag carefully. To play it safe, avoid pretzels at a party or restaurant, unless you can be certain they’re gluten-free.
At the grocery store, read the ingredient list of any package you decide to buy. Look out for any gluten-based foods and check the allergen listing for wheat or gluten, too.
If the ingredients are gluten-free-approved, find a “Gluten-Free” label on the front package of the product. This label is regulated by the Food & Drug Administration and signifies that the food you’re eating has less than 20 parts per million of gluten, which is generally safe for people with celiac disease to eat.
If you want even more security, buy pretzels that are labeled “Certified Gluten-Free” and are assessed by qualified third parties, such as the Gluten-Free Certification Organization . The GFCO has especially strict standards, certifying foods that have only 10 ppm of gluten or less, according to the organization’s website.
Katz Gluten Free Bake Shoppe
Founded in 2006, the Katz Gluten Free Bake Shoppe has been offering a variety of products that are rich in flavor, texture, and taste. The Bake Shoppe features:
Milk And Dairy Products
- Fresh plain milk, butter, plain yogurt, fresh eggs and many cheeses are gluten-free.
- Some other products found in the dairy section, such as flavored yogurts, cottage cheese or puddings, may be labeled gluten-free.
- You can’t count on ice cream to be gluten-free, even if it doesn’t contain obvious gluten ingredients . Stick with a brand such as Breyer’s that labels its products “gluten-free.”
You May Like: Gluten Free Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
Katz Gluten Free Everything Bagels
Per 1 bagel : 250 calories, 9 g fat , 150 mg sodium, 47 g carbs , 6 g protein
Eat This: This well-balanced bagel is a great addition to your morning routine, thanks to an impressive 12 grams of fiberjust about 50 percent of your recommended daily intake. Add it to the list of high-fiber foods!
SHOP NOW: $6.19, theglutenfreeshoppe.com
Nature’s Path Gf Waffles
Per 2 waffles : 210 calories, 7 g fat , 460 mg sodium, 34 g carbs , 1 g protein
Not That!: Sure, Nature’s Path uses all organic ingredients in these homestyle waffles, but they’re a little too high in sugar compared to other products on the market. While you’re picking out your perfect waffle, make sure you also choose the best maple syrup by consulting our top condiment picks.
Read Also: Gluten Free Cakes Orange County
The Gluten Free Shoppe
The Gluten Free Shoppe offers a selection of gluten-free, wheat-free, casein-free and other non-allergic health foods. The Gluten Free Shoppe offers:
Shop At The Super Drugstore In Your Area
If you have a Super Target or Super Walmart in your area, you might be able to find gluten-free foods at bargain prices. While the selection might be limited, you can often save yourself some cash on the basics, like bread, cereal, crackers and baking mixes. Some of the larger chains may even sell some of the other things you canât live without, like waffles, cookies and muffins.
Recommended Reading: Aldi Baked Beans Gluten Free
Baking Mixes And Supplies
- Any baking mix you purchase should be specifically labeled “gluten-free.” Remember that white flour is made from wheat, which is one of the three gluten grains.
- When you’re purchasing alternative grain flours like buckwheat , soy and rice flour, make sure they’re specifically labeled gluten-free .
- Many baking supplies, such as baking soda, sugar and cocoa, are considered gluten-free, but you always should check ingredients to make certain.
What Foods Are Gluten And Dairy
1. Fruits and Vegetables Virtually all fruits and vegetables are gluten and dairy-free, which allows for lots of variety in nutrients and flavors in your diet. Fresh fruits like berries, apples, bananas, peaches, citrus fruits, and more are all fair game, as are fresh vegetables like leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, and many others. If you’re purchasing frozen, pre-chopped, or canned fruits and veggies, take a different look at the food label as they might be processed in a facility that processes gluten or dairy products.
2. Whole Grains Just because you can’t have gluten or wheat doesn’t mean all grains are out of bounds. Rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, corn, buckwheat, corn, and sorghum are all dairy and gluten-free grains. When purchasing oats, be sure to look for a gluten-free variety to ensure they haven’t been cross-contaminated with wheat during processing.
4. Beans and Legumes If you’re looking for ways to add satisfying protein, fiber, and carbs into a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, look no further than beans and legumes! Black beans, white beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils are all affordable, easily found in most grocery stores, and a great way to bulk up a plant-based meal. While all beans and legumes are inherently gluten-free and dairy-free, it’s smart to double-check the ingredients when buying canned beans to ensure no extra starches have been added.
You May Like: Gluten Free Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Brands
Restaurants That Serve Gluten
Some restaurants that serve gluten-free food offer some of their ingredients for sale. For example, thereâs a deli close to my house that sells their bread by the loaf. If you can find a great restaurant, talk to them about whether theyâd be willing to sell their condiments or bread items to you.
Have You Checked Online
When all else fails and you need something gluten-free, consider seeing whatâs available online. You can find a much more varied range of foods here and youâre bound to find what suits your needs. There are even gluten-free meal delivery services out there if you want a prepared dish that you can simply heat and eat.
Where do you shop for gluten-free foods?
Read Also: Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake Mix
Condiments Sauces And Spices
Many products in this category contain gluten ingredients, and even single-ingredient products like spices can be subject to significant gluten cross-contamination.
- For spices, Spicely is certified gluten-free, and McCormick’s will clearly label any gluten-containing ingredients, but does not test for cross-contamination.
- Heinz ketchup and French’s yellow mustard are considered gluten-free, as are some popular salsa brands.
- Salad dressing can contain gluten ingredients, although many do not. Organicville salad dressings are certified gluten-free.
- Don’t buy soy sauce unless it’s specifically labeled “gluten-free.”
Try A Specialty Bakery
Thereâs a bakery near my house that has a separate kitchen for their gluten-free baking and they house it in a separate cooler as well. Itâs not cheap, but itâs a fabulous place to stop if my son is on his way to a birthday party and needs a single cupcake or when I host a party and need a dessert that my son can eat with everyone else. Some such bakeries also sell bread, granola and other tasty gluten-free delicacies.
Read Also: General Mills Gluten Free Cereal
Breads Rolls & Bakery
Navigating the Bakery department if youre gluten-free can feel intimidating. Fortunately, favorite brands Udis Gluten Free and Canyon Gluten Free Bakehouse have plenty of delicious options like gluten-free breads, bagels, tortillas, cookies and more.
Tortillas made from corn and alternative flours
Breads, bagels, buns and English muffins made from alternative flours
Cauliflower-based breads, tortillas and pizza crusts
Prepared pie crusts made from alternative flours
We Are A Proud Part Of The Manitoban Market Place
Were passionate about flavour. Youll find traditional items that are time-tested comfort foods, but youll also discover some of our more artisanal and unconventional culinary offerings. Youll find that we like to experiment with fruit and vegetables when theyre in season and make the most of what our local farmers are growing.
While you can find our products in more than 60 retail locations across Manitoba, now you can peruse our menu and shop from home. Be sure to come back often so you can see what Amanda Lynn and her team are cooking in our test kitchen and whats new on the menu.
Read Also: Is Gluten Free Pizza Keto
Coffee Tea Soda Fruit Drinks And Alcohol
- Unflavored coffee and plain black or green tea should be gluten-free, but flavored varieties may not bestick with those labeled “gluten-free” to be safe.
- The most popular sodas in the United States, including Coke and Pepsi, are considered gluten-free. AriZona bottled iced teas also are considered gluten-free, and the vast majority of energy drinks are considered gluten-free.
- Juice made from 100% fruit should be gluten-free, but fruit drinks made from fruit plus other ingredients may not be. Be particularly wary of green smoothies, since they can contain wheat and barley grass.
- You’ll need to buy gluten-free beer, since conventional beer contains glutensafe brands will be prominently labeled “gluten-free.”
- Wine is considered gluten-free, although you should be wary of flavored wines.
- All distilled alcohol is considered gluten-free even if it’s made from gluten grains, but some people report reacting to gluten grain-derived alcoholic beverages. If you’re one of them, stick with alcohol not derived from gluten grains, such as rum or tequila, or with gluten-free vodka .
Check Your Local Supermarket
Now that eating gluten-free has gotten more mainstream, you may be able to find everything you need at the grocery store. Many of them separate their gluten-free items into one central location so you can find it easily. You can often find things like crackers, cookies and cake mixes, but you may have trouble finding more specialized items like condiment or desserts.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Cake San Francisco
Duncan Hines Gf Vanilla Creme Cake
Per 1/16 package : 210 calories, 9 g fat , 150 mg sodium, 32 g carbs , 2 g protein
Not That!: Like we said before, “gluten-free” should not be synonymous with “healthy.” This is the perfect example of that. Duncan Hines’ cake mix is gluten-free, but that doesn’t erase the negatives of stuffing a cake full of shortening, sugar, inflammatory carrageenan, artificial flavor, and artificial dyes Yellow 5 and Yellow 6.
Breads Snacks Cereals Cakes And Pastas
- Almost anything you buy in these categories should be specifically labeled “gluten-free,” including cereals, breads, and snack foods.
- Most grocery stores carry a few of these gluten-free staples, and somelike Whole Foods and Fresh Market may boast a wider selection. But you may find the best selection online.
Recommended Reading: How To Cut Gluten Out Of Your Diet
Bisquick Gluten Free Pancake Mix
Per 1/3 cup mix: 140 calories, 0.5 g fat , 340 mg sodium, 31 g carbs , 2 g protein
Eat This: We love a store-bought product with an ingredient list that’s limited to foods you can find in your pantry. Bisquick’s Gluten Free Pancake mix fits the bill and is much lower in carbs and sodium than our “Not That!” pick.
Bfree Brown Seeded Rolls
Per bun : 150 calories, 5 g fat , 320 mg sodium, 21 g carbs , 6 g protein
Eat This: BFree Brown Seeded Rolls are made with a unique blend of gluten-free flours with both sunflower seeds and toasted flax seeds scattered throughout for added texture and fiber. We also love the addition of sourdougha combination of fermented quinoa, rice, and corn, which is teeming with gut-healthy probiotics.
Also Check: Campbell’s Cream Of Mushroom Soup Gluten Free
What Is A Gluten And Dairy
A non-dairy, gluten-free diet is fairly self-explanatory avoid dairy or dairy-derived products and avoid foods containing gluten. Some people must follow a gluten-free, dairy-free diet due to food allergies or sensitivities, while others find that this diet relieves digestive issues or helps them feel more energized. A typical American diet has historically included many dairy and gluten products, but there are still plenty of delicious food options available that are free of these ingredients. Besides whole foods like fruits, veggies, nuts, and non-wheat grains, nearly every grocery store now carries a variety of gluten-free and dairy-free alternatives to your favorite foods.Your reasons for starting a non-dairy, gluten-free diet might affect how you approach grocery shopping. For example, if you have severe allergies or intolerances, then avoiding potential cross-contamination will be much more urgent for you than for someone electing to ditch gluten and dairy for lifestyle reasons. No matter the circumstances, there are still plenty of foods to enjoy on a gluten and dairy-free diet.
Amanda Lynn The Very Best In Gluten Free
Welcome to our online store! At Amanda Lynn, we make delicious food by hand in our dedicated gluten free facility in Anola, Manitoba just a little bit east of Winnipeg. Every single item we sell is made from scratch using quality ingredients. We want everyone to eat well, no matter what their allergies, food restrictions, or personal food choices might be. Everything we sell is from our table to yours we only create tasty, home-cooked menu items that we and our families want to eat.
It all started with our signature gluten free perogies, which are just like the ones our founders Ukrainian Baba used to make except Amanda Lynn spent years perfecting her gluten free dough recipe. Its got the same texture as a wheat-flour-based dough, but its safe for anyone who needs to keep a gluten free diet. Our gluten free dough is also dairy-free, which is also great news for anyone with a dairy allergy. We have also developed a vegan dough to meet the demand for our vegan customers.
The taste? Just a tiny bit better than regular perogies! Dont just believe us? Check out our customer testimonials.
Recommended Reading: How To Reverse Gluten Intolerance
Perdue Simplysmart Gf Breaded Chicken Breast Tenders
Per 4 tenders: 210 calories, 11 g fat , 520 mg sodium, 16 g carbs , 13 g protein
Not That!: They might be called “tenders,” but the part of the chicken which is actually called the “tender” isn’t even used in this product. Instead, it’s chicken breast with rib meat, which is then coated in rice flour and cornmeal. Compared to Ian’s, Perdue’s offering is much higher in sodium, which won’t help you with that belly bloat.