Why We Love This Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- You won’t believe they’re vegan! Seriously, they taste just like grandma’s classic chocolate chip cookie you know and love.
- They’re gluten free. Perfect for all dietary requirements, but we’ve also included instructions for using regular flour if you’re not gluten free.
- The dough is freezer-friendly: you can make the dough, freeze and bake whenever you want to. The perfect make-ahead treat!
- If you love a chewy, soft, slightly under-baked and super chocolatey cookie, this is DEFINITELY for you.
I can’t wait for you to try these perfect vegan chocolate chip cookies!
What Dairy Free Butter Should I Use In These Cookies
We love using the Country Crock Plant Butter with avocado oil or olive oil for our baking. The plant butter sticks dont have soy in the ingredients but the tubs do have soybean oil in them. Also they have an almond oil plant butter, so if you have tree nut allergies double check the labels.
If you plan on using a different brand of dairy free butter, just remember that every dairy free butter acts a bit differently in baked goods and your cookies might spread more.
For example, Earth Balance Soy Free is more liquid at room temperature than the Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks. So the cookies may spread too much if you use that butter .
The sticks do have a warning of may contain soy, so if you have severe soy allergies you can use something like the Earth Balance Soy Free which is also a great option.
Tips To Make The Perfect Gluten & Egg Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Start with cold butter. Immediately before beginning, take your butter out of the refrigerator. I like to cut each stick of butter into 8 sections for easier mixing. I find that cold butter, as opposed to softened butter, bakes up better. The same applies to cream cheese: cold, straight from the fridge.
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla very well. There should be no visible chunks in the mix.
- Be sure to use a gluten free flour blend that contains xanthan gum. For this recipe, I used King Arthurs Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour .
- Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into the butter mixture. Mix for 1-2 minutes until the dough has come together. If the dough is sandy in texture and not holding together, continue to mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips last and mix until incorporated evenly into the dough.
- Always line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a spring loaded cookie scoop to portion out the dough. Scoop level scoops of dough roll the dough lightly in the palm of your hand to form a ball. Place the balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Be sure your oven in preheated before you begin baking.
- For soft baked cookies bake 12 minutes. For crispier cookies bake for 14 minutes.
- Once you remove the baking sheet from the oven allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Substitute For Bread Crumbs
What Are Other Awesome Vegan Cookie Ideas That I Should Make
Whether you are doing a cookie exchange or you just want to switch up and make a new vegan cookie recipe, we have you covered.
We have over a dozen vegan cookie recipes that you can find when you click on ourbest vegan cookie recipesroundup.
We have everything from the salted caramel cookies you see above, as well as things like:
- vegan snickerdoodles
What Are The Ingredients In These Gluten
- almond flour
- Here is an example of a brand I use, it comes in super fine texture, and blanched.
Read Also: Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Pie Crusts
How To Make Gluten
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg , molasses, and pure vanilla extract to the butter mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Add the gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the butter mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Either stir in the chips with a spoon or use your mixer on low to mix the chocolate chips into the cookie batter.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon or use a greased cookie scoop. .
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until they start to turn golden brown . Please watch your oven because all ovens are different.
- Cool and store leftovers in an air-tight container. Enjoy!
How Long Should I Cool The Chocolate Chip Cookies
Another very important step in ensuring that egg free cookies hold together is the cooling process. If you were to remove a baking sheet from the oven and immediately transfer those cookies to a cooling rack, your cookies would likely fall apart.
There is something that happens during the cooling process that allows all of the ingredients to hold together. You will see this recommendation and warning in nearly all of my gluten free recipes. Allowing for proper cooling makes a huge difference.
When I remove a tray of cookies from the oven, I allow them to sit on the tray to cool for at least 10 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack to further cool. You will know the cookies are ready to move when they begin to stiffen up a bit.
Also Check: Is Dove Dark Chocolate Dairy-free
What Makes These The Best Gluten Free Egg Free Cookies
These chocolate cookies are basically gluten free brown sugar shortbread cookies, but with plenty of cocoa powder for deep, rich chocolate flavor. And dark chocolate pieces.
Theyre gluten free cookies that are naturally egg free, similar to our vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Rather than finding a way to replace the eggs in a recipe that was developed to be made with eggs, they begin as if eggs didnt exist.
The way the original recipe that theyre adapted from is written, these dark chocolate cookies can have unpredictable results. But this recipe not only makes an allergy-friendly cookie, but it produces consistently delicious results with the same richness and chewiness every single time.
Expert Tips For Success
- Measure your flour correctly. Too much flour in this recipe can make your dough dry and crumbly and you will have a hard time rolling it out. Please read my article about how to measure flour correctly.
- Always make sure that your butter is slightly softened before starting, NOT melted or TOO soft. To make sure your butter is at the ideal softness, lightly press your finger into it. If it leaves a shallow indent, your butter is at the perfect temperature. If your finger sinks into the butter with barely any effort, your butter is too soft. Refrigerate it until it has firmed up and then test it again. Soft butter will blend better and easier with the sugar.
- Dont skip chilling the cookie dough. This step is VERY important for the cookies to turn out properly. If the dough is not chilled, your cookies will be hard to roll out and if you do somehow manage to roll and cut them out, they will spread while baking and not hold their shapes.
- If youre using smaller cookie cutters, those cookies will require less baking time than larger cookies. Keep similar sized cookies on the same baking sheets so they can be pulled out at the same time.
- Make sure to fully cool the cookies before decorating. If you dont, the icing will warm up, run everywhere, and have a hard time setting.
- Follow the recipe exactly as its written for the very best results.
Read Also: Is There Wheat In Bud Light
Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Cookies
Our gluten free and dairy free Snickerdoodle cookies are soft in the middle and made with pantry ingredients you likely already have on hand! These soft cookies are not only gluten free and dairy free, theyre also top 8 free and vegan.
These Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Bars have a dense cookie base with chocolate and coconut on top! They are gluten free, vegan, nut free , and lower in sugar than the original recipe.
Spread some cheer with the gift of baking! These Gluten Free Peppermint Cookies are the perfect way to share small acts of kindness to brighten someones day.
Nutty Dark Chocolate Chunk Almond Flour Biscotti By Rachel Mansfield
Why we love them: Imagine yourself sitting at a café in Italy, dipping a crispy, chocolate-dipped Biscotti into a steaming, frothy cappuccino. Is there anything better? Talk about a dessert that can transport you elsewhere, these Biscotti cookies are a dream.
Hero ingredient: These homemade Biscotti are almond flour-based, giving them the crispy, crunchy texture these cookies are known for. So get your coffee, tea, or glass of oat milk ready, because Biscotti are meant to be dunked.
Recommended Reading: Dunkin Donuts Allergen Information
Sift Your Dry Ingredients To Ensure Proper Blending
Cocoa powder and cornstarch, two of the critical ingredients in this gluten free cookie recipe, tend to clump. Sifting the dry ingredients removes all lumps, so you get a smooth, uniform batter.
Cocoa powder also resists combining with other ingredients, especially wet ingredients. Sifting it with the other dry ingredients helps it absorb into the butter and sugar mixture.
Gluten Free Gingerbread House
Celebrate Christmas with a fun homemade gluten free gingerbread house! The dough does not require chilling before baking, so this recipe is faster than traditional gingerbread dough. Our gingerbread house recipe is also vegan and nut free, and it comes with a printable template for cutting out your house pieces.
Don’t Miss: Are Bud Light Platinum Seltzers Gluten Free
Scoop The Sugar Cookie Dough
Using rounded tablespoons or a 1 ½-inch cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough out onto your prepared cookie sheet.
The smaller you scoop the cookies, the more cookies youll have and the faster theyll bake.
You will have at least 12 cookies, maybe more depending on the size of your scoop. I get about 16 from my batch using a 1 1/2 -inch cookie scoop.
How To Decorate Them
You can go simple by sprinkling them with sanding sugar before baking, you can make a small batch of vegan buttercream or icing, or you can make a batch of vegan royal icing to customize them even more.
Im still learning the art of cookie decorating, so mine are nowhere near fancy! But thats the fun in making these cookies, you can make them as plain or as extravagant as you want and the entire family can help.
Feel free to decorate your cookies the way I did in my pictures or you can check out this article about sugar cookie decorating ideas that will help with inspiration on how to decorate your cookies.
You can also check out this video on sugar cookie decorating techniques that will give you some helpful tips.
Don’t Miss: Is Bud Light Orange Gluten Free
Wheat Flour Replacer For Allergy
Many people need wheat-free or gluten-free baking recipes. I use coconut flour in this recipe to replace traditional wheat flour. Coconut flour is wheat and gluten-free. I do have a couple of pointers on coconut flour. It can be quite strongly flavoured, especially if it is old. Buy it in small amounts so that you use it up while still nice and fresh.
This recipe does not need that much flour, so you can substitute other flours if you prefer, rice flour, oat flour, almond flour or traditional wheat flour will all work.
Gluten Free Egg Free Christmas Cookies
Gluten free chocolate chip cookies dairy free vegan from cookies to holiday party appetizers to christmas morning breakfast, these recipes will make everyevent more memorable.
Lets take a dive into my all-time favorite cookie Christmas morning breakfast, the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie. If youre not a fan of chocolate chip then there is also the Sugar Cookie Oatmeal or the Sugar Cookie Oatmeal Cookie , gluten free egg free christmas cookies. These cookies are incredibly versatile and delicious. These little cookies are a staple in my household, whether it be the family holiday dinner or a small potluck/meet up.
The Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie can be made dairy free with coconut milk for a dairy free version, gluten free with almond milk, or with a no oil option. For many of my friends and family, these are the only cookie they eat during the holiday season. I also used my homemade nut butter but you can use peanut butter to make these nut free, use a nut free/non nut free chocolate. This is a very versatile winter treat recipe.
If you like these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, you can also try my gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough. These are also awesome to serve alongside a hot cup of coffee. There are plenty of variations that you can make that are similar to these cookies but completely gluten free .
Print Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Ingredients 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Bread Crumb Substitute
What Equipment Do You Need To Make These Chewy Cookies
I use my trusty Sage mixer for almost all my baking. It makes mixing, beating and whipping ingredients so easy. I make cookie dough like this in it along with cake mixture, bread dough and almost everything else.
Before I had it I used a hand held mixer much like this one. However, if you do a lot of baking investing in a good mixer is so worth while.
Then you need a couple of baking trays to bake the cookies on. These ones get good views and with three different sizes youll have the perfect size for any cooking or baking you do.
Finally I find it really useful to line my baking tray with re-usable liners. You can cut them to size and then keep them with the trays. It makes washing up so much easier and the cookies wont get stuck to the tray.