Other Ways To Enjoy Angel Food Cake
There are plenty of ways to enjoy angel food cake. Consider toasting slices in a toaster oven, or layer into a delectable strawberry shortcake.
Here are some other options worth trying:
- Angel food cake french toast
- Churro bites toss with butter, cinnamon, and sugar
- Layer with fruit, pudding, and whipped cream to make a trifle
- Top with chocolate mousse
- Cover with your favorite icing, such as chocolate whipped cream frosting
Why Leave The Cake Pan Ungreased
Because angel food cake does not use creamed butter, it gets its volume from the beaten egg whites. This means the cake actually needs to climb the sides of the pan in order to rise.
If the pan is greased, then instead of clinging and climbing, it will slide down resulting in a flat cake with no fluff which is definitely not what you want.
So no matter how tempted you may be do not grease that pan!
Fold In Remaining Sugar And Flour
Remove your egg white mixture from your standing mixer. Then, using a spatula, slowly and gently fold in the remaining sugar and flour until all of the flour mixture is incorporated into the egg white mixture. You can fold it by adding a little bit of the sugar-flour mixture, then folding the egg whites onto themselves. Repeat until all the flour-sugar mixture is incorporated.
Now pour the batter into a non-stick angel food cake pan . Its a round pan with a hole in the center and a detachable bottom. The carved out center gives the cake more surface area to cling to as it rises.
Do NOT grease the pan. The cake needs plenty of surface area to grab onto to help it properly rise.
If you dont have an angel food cake pan, a non-stick 9 springform pan with an oven-safe glass inserted in the middle could work. I have not tried this technique and found it easier and more reliable to simply invest in an angel food cake pan.
Read Also: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free
How To Beat Egg Whites
Stiffly Beaten Egg Whites
Read the recipe through to the end before proceeding. You will need to let your egg whites sit for half an hour to come up to room temperature for greater volume when beating. Separate them while they’re cold and save the yolks for another purpose.
It’s very important that you not get any yolk into your egg whites. Be sure to follow those instructions closely.
You can read about my stand mixer and my other favourite kitchen tools here.
No Substitutions This Time
This cake doesnt have an ingredients and substitutions section, like almost every other recipe on the blog, though. It only calls for flour, confectioners sugar, and egg whites, and you simply cant make it without egg whites.
There are recipes on the web for vegan angel food cake, Im sure. But thats just an entirely different recipe.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Brands
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Cooking Gluten Free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- tip 2 Egg whites whip best when theyre at room temperature be sure to pull them from the refrigerator an hour or so before you make the cake.
- tip 3 Use an egg separator to separate eggs quickly. Place egg separator over a small bowl, and crack an egg into it. The white slips through the slots into the bowl, leaving the yolk behind.
- tip 4 Using the wire whip attachment allows lots of air to be incorporated into the cake. A hand mixer with a balloon whisk will also do the trick. If using regular beaters, cake volume may not be as high.
Are Angel Food Cakes Gluten Free
Traditional, from scratch or store bought, angel food cakes are not naturally gluten free because the recipe contains flour. However, by following this recipe you will still be able to enjoy the same light, fluffy, homemade cake, but in a gluten free version!
If you are dairy free, youre in luck. Angel food cakes do not require butter or milk, which means it is a naturally dairy free cake. This recipe uses gluten free flour, so it is both gluten free and dairy free.
You May Like: Are Rice Chex Really Gluten Free
Why Do We Need A Tube Pan
The best tube pan comes in two nonstick parts that fit together loosely: one part is the sides, with a hole in the bottom. The other part is the center column and bottom of the pan.
Place them together, and you have a complete pan, with tall sides and a tall center. These tall, nonstick but ungreased sides provide the perfect structure to support the light and fluffy cake batter, as it bakes.
Im afraid to say that I tend to think of tube pans are semi-disposable as they always give out and start to stick after about 10 uses. I just accept it as a fact of life and make sure I buy an inexpensive 2-piece nonstick tube pan .
Best Way To Separate Egg Whites
You will want to , and then allow them to come to room temperature.
The most important thing to remember when separating eggs is to not let any yolk get into the whites. If even a small amount of yolk is present, the whites will not volumize.
For this reason its best to not separate eggs over your mixing bowl. If any yolk accidently slips through, you will ruin the whole batch and have to start again.
There are a few options when it comes to separating egg yolks. First, is the egg shell method. To begin, be sure you crack your egg in the center, resulting in two even halves. Next, over a bowl, transfer the yolk from one shell to there other, allowing the egg whites to drip into the bowl.
Alternatively, use your fingers to transfer the egg yolk back and forth , letting the egg whites drip into a bowl. Or, use an egg separator, which holds the yolk, while the egg white drips through.
Recommended Reading: Are Dove Ice Cream Bars Gluten Free
Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend
Only when you start to cook gluten free do you realize the amazing properties of wheat flour. Purchased gluten free flour mixes work for some recipes but not all. The more gluten free baking you do you cant help but notice companies have a flour mix for cookies and a different one for bread or pancakes, and the list goes on. This is the reminder that no single gluten free flour can replace all the properties of wheat flour.
This means gluten free bakers need a positive mindset in the kitchen. You can follow my year-long blog post series of How To Use Gluten Free Flours if youre interested. Writing that series is how I learned about the properties of each flour and how best to use them.
For this once-a-year cake I want it to be fabulous, not just okay. I knew I needed a lighter cake flour recipe rather than the blend I use for muffins. For this light, airy Angel Food Cake I needed to made a special flour blend. I know that including a flour blend in a recipe suddenly makes the list long and appear complicated. The cake itself isnt complicated so my best tip is to consider a special flour blend as a special project. Make that flour blend in advance and get it in the cupboard before the day you bake.
What Is The Best Type Of Cake Pan To Make Angel Food Cake In
Angel food cake needs to be baked in a tube pan so the cake can rise up the side of a smooth surface. I highly recommend getting an angel food cake pan that has a removable center and has three attached feet along the rim to elevate the cake after you invert it to cool. I bake with a 10-inch Wilton Angel Food Tube Cake Pan.
I have not tried baking angel food cake in a bundt pan because without the right type of pan the cake will fall.
You May Like: Gluten Free Pizza Crust Publix
How To Make This Cake Without A Tube Pan
If you dont have a tube pan, I dont recommend using another similarly-shaped pan like a bundt pan . Instead, you can divide the batter between two high-sided nonstick loaf pans, and start checking for doneness after 20 minutes.
Youll need to cool the cake upside down on top of a wire rack, which wont elevate the cake as much as it should. You will have a harder time getting the cake out of the pan, but it shouldnt be impossible.
You can also try making our recipe for gluten free pineapple angel food cake, which is a bit heavier, and made in a round cake pan. Not only that, but you dont even have to sift the dry ingredients for that cake!
But even with the sifting, this recipe is so simple and never fails to impress. Let the celebrations begin!
Pan For Angel Food Cake
I used a simple tube pan for my angel food cake. If you have one with a removable bottom, that would be great. Don’t grease your pan. The batter needs to cling to the sides to climb up tall. It can, however, be very difficult to clean cooked egg out of a pan. I recommend lining just the bottom with parchment paper. Not only is that part of the pan then easier to clean, but also your cake will come out easier.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Cookies And Cream Ice Cream
Ingredients In Gluten Free Angel Food Cake
Egg whites – Egg whites are the main ingredient therefor I don’t have an egg-free version at this time.
Powdered Sugar – Adds sweetness.
Granulate Sugar – Adds sweetness and moisture and helps to stabilize the egg whites.
Gluten Free Flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour. I don’t recommend Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour or Namaste in this recipe.
Cream of Tartar – Cream of tartar is used to add volume and stabilize and whiten whipped egg whites.
Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract.
Almond Extract – Adds flavor. Don’t worry if you don’t’ have any on hand. You can leave it out.
Salt – Flavor enhancer.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
Perfect Gluten Free Angel Food Cake Recipe
Posted on Last updated:
Home » Perfect Gluten Free Angel Food Cake Recipe
Light and airy Gluten Free Angel Food Cake is the perfect summer dessert. Its easy to make and pairs well with many different toppings.
This post is sponsored by King Arthur Baking Company and may contain affiliate links for products and ingredients I use and love. You can read my full disclosure here. Thank you for supporting the brands that support What The Fork Food Blog. All opinions are my own
You dont need a gluten free angel food cake mix to make a fantastic angel food cake. In fact, all you need is a few ingredients to make the best homemade angel food cake that just happens to be gluten free!
Angel Food Cake is one of those recipes that everyone loves. Its an old-school family favorite that disappears at any gathering.
And since its a relatively light dessert, it feels almost guilt free.
Is Angel Food Cake Gluten Free?
Traditional Angel Food Cake is not gluten free because its made with All-Purpose Flour. While there isnt as much flour in angel food cake as there is in a layer cake, the flour makes it unsafe to eat for those who are gluten free.
Luckily, you can easily make a Gluten Free Angel Food Cake using gluten free flour in place of all-purpose flour!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and let me know in the comments! You can also leave a photo/comment on this pin for others to see.
What You Need To Know About This Gluten Free Angel Food Cake Recipe
You May Like: Is Wishbone Zesty Robusto Italian Dressing Gluten-free
Using Leftover Egg Yolks
Now that you have your eggs separated, what do you do with the yolk? It seems wasteful to throw all of that goodness away.
One option is to freeze the egg yolks for a later use. If you are planning on freezing, its important to note they do thicken when frozen.
To keep this from happening, beat the yolks until they are completely smooth with salt before freezing. For every four egg yolks, add 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
Store the yolks in either an airtight freezer bag or in ice cube trays and label with the date. Egg yolks can be frozen for up to one year. When you are ready to use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or run bag under cold water until thawed.
There are plenty of recipes that call for egg yolks. Here are a few you may want to try:
Why Do You Have To Sift The Dry Ingredients
To make this cake a show-stopper, all you really have to commit to is to sift the dry ingredients 4 times. I hate sifting dry ingredients even once, but its essential here.
An angel food cake is so simple and has so few ingredients, and its light and fluffy texture is the whole point here. Sifting the flours removes any clumps, and aerates it so that it distributes almost effortlessly into the whipped egg whites.
Don’t Miss: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free
How Much Does Instacart Delivery Or Pickup Cost
- Delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35.
- Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
- Tipping is optional but encouraged for delivery orders. It’s a great way to show your shopper appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper who delivers your order.
- There may be a “pickup fee” on your pick up order that is typically $1.99 for non-Express members. Express membership waives this like it would a delivery fee.
- Pick up orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
How To Make Gluten
- Move the oven rack to the lowest position. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the cornstarch and gluten-free flour together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a stand-up mixer or hand mixer beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together on medium speed until foamy.
- Beat in the granulated sugar and powdered sugar on high speed, adding the pure vanilla and almond extract and salt. Continue beating until soft peaks form and the meringue looks glossy.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch and gluten-free flour mixture, Â¼ cup at a time, over the meringue and beat on medium speed until all the flour mixture is fully combined.
- Pour the cake batter into an ungreased 10-inch x 4-inch angel food cake pan . Use a spatula to smooth the top of the batter. Cut gently through the cake batter in a circular motion with a butter knife .
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and the top springs back when touched lightly.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto a heatproof funnel or bottle. If you have a tube pan with legs, turn the pan upside down on a heatproof cutting board. Let the cake cool for 2 hours upside down.
- Once the cake has cooled, turn the cake right-side-up and run a knife inside the rim of the cake pan. Invert cake onto a serving platter to remove the cake from the pan. Cut the cake into slices using a serrated knife to avoid smashing it .
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container.
You May Like: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free