Why We Love These Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins
Texture is everything with gluten free recipes, and this is the best texture I have ever been able to create!
These taste like a cross between the most moist and flavorful chocolate cake and your favorite brownie.
They dont fall apart, and arent too sweet .
I used mini chocolate chips for a better distribution of melted chocolate on the inside, ensuring that every delicious bite is chocolate packed!
I love grabbing one of these for a healthier dessert or mid day snack!
How To Make Chocolate Chip Muffins
This recipe comes together quickly with only a few ingredients that can all be mixed by hand . Heres how to make these beautiful muffins in five easy steps.
Step #1: Gather the Ingredients.
Its always easier to bake when you have everything ready to go. Plus, youll ensure you have all the ingredients in your pantry and fridge before you start.
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Step #2: Preheat the Oven
Youll need to preheat your oven to 425º F and line a 12-cavity muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set it aside.
Step #3: Make the Buttermilk
Buttermilk is hard to find in stores, so you can simply make your own. In a small bowl, combine the milk with the lemon juice and mix it together. Allow the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes until it slightly curds. Use whole milk for the best results, although you could use a dairy-free milk alternative. If you dont have fresh lemons on hand, you can swap the lemon for vinegar instead.
Step #4: Make the Batter
To make the batter, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk it all together and set it aside.
Next, using a large bowl, combine the eggs with the sugar and whisk together, then add the milk mixture, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix everything until well combined.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula and divide the batter evenly into 12 cupcake liners, filling each liner to the top.
Step #5: Bake
Baking Tips For Baking The Best Muffins:
What temperature should I bake muffins at? I like to start my muffins at 425F for 5 minutes and then finish them for 20 or so minutes at 350F. I’ve found this helps them to be fluffier!
What is the secret to making moist muffins? My secret for moist muffins is yogurt! I add either Greek yogurt or dairy free yogurt to all of my muffins and breads and it always yields delicious moist muffins.
Do I need baking powder for muffins? I use baking soda in all of my muffin recipes and it works well! Baking soda has quadruple the power of baking powder so be sure to convert measurements appropriately before swapping.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Pizza Crust Target
What Kind Of Gluten Free Flour Should I Use
Make sure to use a good quality all-purpose gluten free flour when making these muffins. I like to use Bobs Red Mill 1 to 1. Your results may vary depending on the gluten free flour you use.
Remember to use the spoon and level method when measuring your gluten free flour. Simply use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then use the back of a table knife to level off the top.
How Do You Keep Chocolate Chips From Sinking In Muffins
In short: you dont have to do anything. No need to coat the chocolate chips in flour or anything like that. If your muffin batter is nice and thick , then this should automatically and without any further effort from your side be enough to prevent the chips from sinking.
As a failsafe, you can scoop about 1 tablespoon of plain batter into the bottom of each muffin paper liner this is completely optional and it skews the chocolate chip distribution slightly towards the top of the muffin.
And thats it, really. These gluten free chocolate chip muffins are pretty much everything you might want a muffin to be, with an extra dose of chocolate.
I really hope youll love them as much as I do.
As always: enjoy.
If you like what youre seeing, subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date on the latest recipes and tips!
You May Like: Kraft Salad Dressing Gluten Free
How To Make Gluten Free Banana Muffins With Chocolate Chips
How To Make Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for these gluten free chocolate chips muffins, please see the recipe below.
Don’t Miss: How Much Gluten Is In Bud Light
Gather The Ingredients For Gluten
The first thing you need to do is make a list and head to the grocery store. While there, pick up some gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla extract, two large eggs, Greek yogurt, and milk chocolate chips.
Then, head home and get started on these sweet gluten-free muffins.
Faq For Bakery Style Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
Can I freeze those muffins? Yes, I recommend allowing them to cool completely and then freeze on a sheet tray for 2-3hrs. Then transfer to a Tupperware container or ziplock bag. Thaw on the counter at room temperature. I recommend nuking for 15-30 seconds to melt the chocolate in the center before eating.
Can I make this muffin batter ahead of time? Yes. When I owned my bakery, I would make my muffin batter the night before and bake them in the morning. Keep this in mind for the holidays think fresh-baked muffins on Thanksgiving or Christmas Morning but without making a huge mess in your kitchen the second you get up. Resting the batter for several hours or even overnight gives the starches in the flour more time to absorb the moisture from the liquid ingredients used in the batter.
How long will my muffin batter last?I recommend baking your muffin batter within 48 72hrs.
Can I turn those muffins into giant muffins?Absolutely! You can use tulip-style muffin liners and fill them with two scoops of muffin batter. Please be aware you have to increase the baking time to 35-40 minutes
Can I use regular flour in this recipe? Yes, you can use wheat-containing flour in this recipe but you need to change the amount to 330g.
Also Check: Jersey Mike’s Allergen Menu
Preheat The Oven And Whisk Together The Dry Ingredients
This recipe requires the use of your oven, so be sure to set it to 370 F. Then, grab a cupcake pan and line each well with a cupcake liner. This helps prevent the muffins from sticking to the pan.
To begin the batter, add flour, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to combine and set it to the side until you need it again.
How Long Will Paleo Muffins Last
I highly suggest eating these paleo chocolate chip muffins within a few days. They will keep well for about 5 days in an air tight container or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Paleo Recipes:
If you love these paleo muffins, you might like more of our paleo recipes.
Paleo Apple Crisp – Learn how to make the perfect paleo apple crisp! With a crunchy sweet topping and tender, tart apples, this paleo apple crisp recipe is quick to make and its grain-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
Paleo Pumpkin Bread – This tender, flavorful paleo pumpkin bread is simple to make, and it only uses a handful of ingredients. The only question is, do you like to add chocolate chips to your almond flour pumpkin bread?
Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes – These Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes are tender, rich and packed with healthy fats and protein. Top these paleo almond flour cupcakes with your favorite paleo frosting or mine.
Paleo Cornbread – A corn-free paleo cornbread that’s tender, flavorful and it actually tastes like cornbread. For anyone who is looking for a good grain-free cornbread recipe you’re going to love how easy and delightful this almond flour cornbread is.
Paleo Pancakes – A Paleo Pancake Mix Recipe that is simple to make, a tried and true grain-free pancake recipe, and can be made right away, or stored for future use. Dairy-free, and refined-sugar free, these paleo pancakes are fluffy and the perfect start to any morning.
Also Check: Autumn’s Gold Grain Free Granola Bar Costco
Strawberry Kissed Almond Butter Muffins
Unlike the strawberry muffins above, this one uses strawberry jam.
Its thick and sweet, and you wont need to worry about all the excess moisture making the muffins soggy.
Also, jam infuses so much more flavor, which I just love, especially when paired with almond butter.
Notice the bananas, maple syrup, oat flour, and natural almond butter? I think these might be the healthiest on the list!
Who Doesn’t Love Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
Muffins are one of the easiest breakfast recipes you can make! My kids absolutely adore muffins so I tend to make a lot to freeze.
This fluffy moist muffin is even better than the typical bakery style chocolate chip muffins you may be used to! With zero refined sugar, these gluten free chocolate chip muffins use better ingredients.
I used Greek yogurt to make this a healthy muffin recipe with protein – and who doesn’t like a little extra protein in the morning? If you are dairy free you can swap out Greek yogurt for almond milk yogurt, coconut yogurt or cashew milk yogurt.
Check out the notes section below for a few variations of this classic healthy muffin recipe.
You May Like: Does Jersey Mike Have Gluten Free Bread
Recipe Substitutions And Cooking Tips:
The goal is to make this recipe work for YOU and your familys needs! Here are some substitutions weve tested. As always, if you try out this recipe wed love to hear how it goes!
- Egg-Free/Vegan substitute flax eggs for the eggs in the recipe. Mix together 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp water for each egg the recipe calls for. Let thicken for a few minutes, then proceed with the recipe. Youll also want to be sure that you choose dairy-free chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life.
- Not gluten-free? Use all-purpose flour and follow the recipe as written.
- Looking to use almond flour or coconut flour? These arent always 1:1 substitutions and havent been tested with this recipe. We recommend trying this recipe instead: Grain-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Not a chocolate fan? Replace chocolate chips with chopped nuts of your choice, or a generous handful of berries!
- Make it a loaf bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes. Start checking for doneness around 35 minutes or so.
- No ripe bananas on hand? Try out these Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins with Chocolate Chips!
How To Make Bakery Style Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
Making bakery-style gluten-free chocolate chip muffins is not rocket science and this is the perfect recipe to make if you are new to gluten-free baking. Yes, I use cold butter, eggs, and milk in this recipe this helps with the dome of the muffin.
- Line your muffin tin with 12 muffin papers and set it aside.
- Start by sifting your dry ingredients together in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Cut your butter in small in ½ inch cubes and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix at a low speed for about 2 minutes until it resembles a very coarse consistency. Add your mini chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add to your dry ingredient/butter mixture and blend together. Your batter will be very thick.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly between each cup and drop with additional chocolate chips . I use my yellow scoop for this. Make sure to fill the cavities ¾ full.
- Place in the fridge while your oven preheats to 350F. Resting your muffin batter, even if its just 15-30 minutes will help hydrate the flour which builds a better crumb.
- Bake your muffins at 350F for 18 minutes, rotate the muffin pan, and continue to bake for an additional 8 10 minutes until they are golden brown and feel firm. You can check with a toothpick to make sure the middle is fully baked
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and enjoy.
You May Like: Michelob Ultra Gluten
Note About Ovens And Oven Temperatures
All my recipes are tested and developed with a conventional oven. I always bake my baked goods on the rack placed in the MIDDLE of my oven. This way the heat coming from the bottom will not burn my baked goods.
If you are baking with convection , please adjust the recipes accordingly. Be also prepared that the convection oven can cause your baked goods to dry out quickly and still be raw inside. Be aware that it takes at least 15-20 minutes for a standard American Oven to be fully preheated. I highly recommend investing in an Oven Thermometer.
How To Make Gluten
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Use baking cup liners or gluten-free cooking spray for the muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, add the all-purpose gluten-free flour, granulated sugar, gluten-free baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum , and cocoa powder and whisk together to combine the ingredients.
- Add the two eggs, pure vanilla extract melted butter and milk to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into baking cups lined/cooking sprayed muffin tin. I like to use a greased ice cream scoop. I also sprinkle more chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Please watch the muffins because all ovens are different. Allow the muffins to completely cool.
Also Check: Gluten Free Options At Costco