Why We Need Safe Snack Options:
My son has a wheat and dairy food allergy, and I have friends with Celiac disease so I personally know the pain of having to turn over every product in the store desperately looking for allergy free options to feed him. Most snacks are filled with dairy products and laden with gluten. I hope that whether you have a gluten-free diet, gluten-free dairy-free diet, or some other food restriction that this list will help you find options you can enjoywhether that be for a school snack, after-school snacks, late night snacks or whatever time of day the munchies hit ya. I dont want you or your loved ones getting hangry because they cant find a safe snack. I have everything from energy bars, crunchy snacks like popcorn, pretzels, and chips, to jerky, fruit, and more. This long list of great ideas should give you something even for the picky eaters. Theres a nice range between guilty pleasure foods and healthy snack ideas. Be sure to share these free snack ideas with your allergy friends!
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
Whether youre looking for a protein-packed breakfast on the go or a middle-of-the-day pick-me-up, these peanut butter energy bites fit the bill.
They have peanut butter, chocolate, salt, and many other things, but honestly, if youre like me, you were sold on them from just those three ingredients.
Best of all, you can make three dozen of them in 30 minutes or so.
Canned Tuna With Gluten Free Crackers
I would advise you to only buy safe catch tuna, which is better for both the environment and yourself. You can buy safecatch tuna tins that have easy open tabs, so no can opener needed. And for gluten free crackers, I really like Simple Mills!
Read Also: Hungry Howies Allergen Menu
Fresh Fruit And Veggies
I like my snack boards to be a mix of salty and fresh. Thats where fresh fruits and veggies come in. Grab some celery and carrots, and cut them into sticks.
Toss on some fresh button mushrooms. Cucumbers, radishes, broccoli, and red pepper slices all make great additions to a gluten-free dairy-free snack board too.
Add some fresh fruit like big clumps of grapes, strawberries, blueberries, apple or pear slices, or whatever other fruit is in season when youre making your snack board.
Theres truly no way to go wrong with fresh fruit or veggies.
Fruit Leather + Dried Fruit
- Fruit leather is simple and easy. Usually, its just 100% fruit! We get these in bulk since they travel and store so well. But most brands of natural fruit leather are a great choice!
- Thats It fruit bars are a thicker version of fruit leather made with different blends of fruit. They can be a great option!
- Little boxes of raisins are super easy to take on the go!
You May Like: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten Free
What Is A Gluten And Dairy
A non-dairy, gluten-free diet is fairly self-explanatory avoid dairy or dairy-derived products and avoid foods containing gluten. Some people must follow a gluten-free, dairy-free diet due to food allergies or sensitivities, while others find that this diet relieves digestive issues or helps them feel more energized. A typical American diet has historically included many dairy and gluten products, but there are still plenty of delicious food options available that are free of these ingredients. Besides whole foods like fruits, veggies, nuts, and non-wheat grains, nearly every grocery store now carries a variety of gluten-free and dairy-free alternatives to your favorite foods.Your reasons for starting a non-dairy, gluten-free diet might affect how you approach grocery shopping. For example, if you have severe allergies or intolerances, then avoiding potential cross-contamination will be much more urgent for you than for someone electing to ditch gluten and dairy for lifestyle reasons. No matter the circumstances, there are still plenty of foods to enjoy on a gluten and dairy-free diet.
The Best Crispy And Crunchy Gluten Free And Dairy Free Snacks
Lets start with the snackiest type of snack: the crispy/crunchy category. Nothing is more satisfying when you need a nosh than feeling that satisfying crunch between your teeth! Thankfully there are tons of options in this category that are naturally dairy free and allergy friendly. Here are a few.
You May Like: Knorr Caldo De Pollo Gluten Free
Strawberry Banana Granola Yogurt Parfaits
Again, with this one, be sure your oats are certified gluten-free and not processed with gluten-heavy products.
If you do that, then youll be able to have this sweet, tangy, and crunchy snack anytime you like.
Thanks to the yogurt, nuts, granola, berries, and other toppings, this one is also unbelievably filling.
You can adjust this parfait to suit your tastes, as well. If you prefer blueberries to strawberries, swap it up.
If natural almond butter isnt your thing, use peanut butter instead.
What Foods Are Gluten And Dairy
1. Fruits and Vegetables Virtually all fruits and vegetables are gluten and dairy-free, which allows for lots of variety in nutrients and flavors in your diet. Fresh fruits like berries, apples, bananas, peaches, citrus fruits, and more are all fair game, as are fresh vegetables like leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, and many others. If you’re purchasing frozen, pre-chopped, or canned fruits and veggies, take a different look at the food label as they might be processed in a facility that processes gluten or dairy products.
2. Whole Grains Just because you can’t have gluten or wheat doesn’t mean all grains are out of bounds. Rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, corn, buckwheat, corn, and sorghum are all dairy and gluten-free grains. When purchasing oats, be sure to look for a gluten-free variety to ensure they haven’t been cross-contaminated with wheat during processing.
4. Beans and Legumes If you’re looking for ways to add satisfying protein, fiber, and carbs into a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, look no further than beans and legumes! Black beans, white beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils are all affordable, easily found in most grocery stores, and a great way to bulk up a plant-based meal. While all beans and legumes are inherently gluten-free and dairy-free, it’s smart to double-check the ingredients when buying canned beans to ensure no extra starches have been added.
Read Also: Michelob Ultra Amber Max Carbs
Dairy Free Ice Cream Or Fruit Juice Popsicles
OK so this is not an everyday snack, admittedly, but once in awhile, you just have to go for it.
After trying lots of brands, I am confident in recommending So Delicious coconut based ice cream. They also make soymilk-based and cashew milk based frozen desserts, but I havent tried them yet because I am too obsessed with the mint chocolate chip flavor.
No matter what brand you choose, make sure the container is labeled dairy free, not lactose free. Lactose free ice creams are usually made with a milk base, plus an added enzyme that breaks down the lactose. This will only work for you if youre lactose-intolerant, but not if youre sensitive to the protein in dairy .
If youre not sure what kinds of packaged ice cream are safe, you can reach for sorbet or popsicles instead. Sorbet and popsicles like Good Pop brand are fruit-based, and dont contain any kind of milk , so it is naturally compatible with a dairy free diet.
There are also lots of great recipes online for any flavor and dairy-free base you prefer, if you want to go the DIY route.
Why Trust Verywell Fit
As a Registered Dietitian, Sydney Greene takes supplement recommendations seriously. Every product has been researched and vetted by her against clinical research, product reviews, and third-party testing websites. These are products she would not only feel comfortable recommending to her clients, but she would take them herself if needed.
You May Like: Cauliflower Bread Publix
Chickpea Puffs Or Sweet Potato Chips
Both have a little more nutrition and staying power than regular corn or white potato-based snacks! My older son loves vegan white cheddar Hippeas, and I really enjoy Jacksons Honest sweet potato chips. Spudsy makes a variety of sweet potato snacks that are also fantastic. My favorite are Cinnamon Churro Sweet Potato Puffs.
There are tons of other options out there check Imperfect Foods, Whole Foods, Amazon, Thrive Market, or the natural foods aisle of major supermarkets.
Sweet And Salty Energy Balls
Energy balls are easy to make and are a perfect choice when youre craving something sweet.
Plus, they can be customized based on your flavor preferences. Make them in larger batches and place them in your refrigerator or freezer so you always have a nutritious snack on hand.
Simply toss ingredients like coconut flour, nut butter, oats, vanilla, salt, and dates into a food processor and pulse until theyre a smooth consistency. Then roll the mixture into balls and store in your fridge or freezer.
Here are a few delicious dairy-free energy ball recipes:
Recommended Reading: Is Klondike Bars Gluten Free
Peanut Butter Banana Rice Cakes
The humble rice cake doesnt have a ton of flavor on its own, but thats a good thing. You can use a rice cake to make nearly anything you can dream up.
You would think that all rice cakes were gluten free, but theyre not. To buy a gluten free rice cake, make sure you read the label to see if it contains grains like barley.
When you buy gluten-free organic rice cakes, you can turn these somewhat bland little cakes into masterpieces for snack time.
All you need to do to make the magic happen is assemble your ingredients, which are rice cakes, unsweetened seed butter or nut butter, a banana, and cinnamon. Thats it!
Optional ingredients can include coconut flakes, chopped walnuts or pecans, or other additional fruit.
Who doesnt love ants on a log? Its one of the time-honored ways of getting kids excited about a healthy snack.
Equally important, ants on a log are one of the best gluten free snack ideas.
Celery, peanut butter, and raisins are all you need to make this beloved classic gluten-free snack.
This recipe offers excellent ideas for variations. For example, you can use different nut butter such as cashew butter, sun butter, and almond butter.
To skip nut butter entirely, you can use vegan cream cheese or hummus.
If you want to use something besides raisins, consider goji berries. Then, your logs have the delightful name of ladybugs on a log.
You can also try a chocolate chip version, fresh berries for a burst of flavor, or other dried fruit.
Madegood Granola Bars And Cookies
I recently discovered that MadeGood also makes cookies these are bitesize and come in a small packet which is perfect for taking with you when youre traveling or running errands.
You May Like: Gluten Free Bread Crumb
Have You Ever Forgotten To Pack The Snacks
We took a trip that required only an hours drive.. and you guessed itI forgot the snacks! If you have ever been in the car with a hungry toddler, you know they escalate quickly.
My toddler went from asking for a snack to being very hungry and angry in a very short amount of time. Panic struck as I looked for a place for us to grab something for him to eat. No luck. We had to wait until we got to our destination. Needless to say, I will never forget to pack the snacks again.
Celery With Peanut Butter And Raisins
Celery with peanut butter and raisins is a great snack for kids to make for themselves! If you have really picky eaters at home, you can pull off the tough outer strings of the celery.
Other than that, this healthy snack is as simple as slathering nut butter on celery sticks and placing raisins on top. The sweet raisins paired with nut butter and naturally salty celery is a super satisfying snack.
Recommended Reading: Do Panko Crumbs Have Gluten
Simple Homemade Snacks Recipes
These snacks are easy, simple homemade snacks. From roasted nuts to granola, these are batch recipes that will help you prep delicious snacks for on-the-go or for enjoying at home.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Snack Recipes
If you really want to get fancy, try whipping up one of these tasty gluten free dairy free snack recipes. They take a little more time and effort, but are delicious!
1. Gluten Free Raspberry Muffins After picking some raspberries at a local farm, I was inspired to make these tasty muffins! Theyre sweet and delicious and are topped with a lovely little lemon glaze.
2. Maple Glazed Trail Mix This homemade trail mix is quick to make and is top-8 allergen free. Its a great option to prep ahead on the weekend and then enjoy all week long by the handful.
3. Strawberry Oatmeal Bars: These Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are delicious! Theyre gluten free, vegan, and easy to make-perfect for a nourishing dessert or whenever youre craving a little something sweet. The recipe calls for a low-sugar sweetener called Swerve, but you can also just use regular sugar.
4. No-Bake Cranberry Energy Bites: These 4-ingredient no-bake cranberry energy bites are gluten and dairy- free, taste heavenly, and make an ideal snack before dinner or post-workout.
5. Banana Nut Smoothie: Not sure what to do with all of your ripe bananas? Freeze them to have on hand when you have a hankering for a healthy snack. This banana nut smoothie can be mixed in minutes, is packed full of good nutrition, and actually tastes like a milkshake!
8. Vegan Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies: Though these dont have gluten or dairy theyre packed with delicious flavor and that classic chewy peanut butter cookie texture!
Also Check: Is Mich Ultra Seltzer Gluten Free
Carrot Sticks And Nut Butter
Serving carrots sticks with nut or seed butter is a super simple healthy snack. Just be sure to read the labels on your packaged nut butters to make sure there arent any added sugars.
Feel free to buy the baby carrots at the store that are already peeled and chopped into small sizes perfect for little hands .