Is Daiya Mac And Cheese Healthy
The question we are always looking for when it comes to food is it healthy? Luckily, non-vegan mac and cheese isnt the best for you so hopefully your expectations are too high for the vegan alternative.
There are supposedly three servings in one box of Daiya mac and cheese. I said supposedly because it is much more like two servings and I am going to be completely honest and tell you that when I am in the mood for it I can definitely devour the entire box myself.
With that being said, in an entire box of Daiya mac and cheese there is quite a bit of sodium . Because there are a lot of oils going on that make up the cheese, there is also a good amount of saturated fat within each box . However, all of these numbers are pretty comparable to the OG, Kraft.
If you are looking for a healthy vegan mac and cheese, then my best suggestion is to make something homemade with veggies and lots of nutritional yeast! Comment below if you want me to share my recipe on the blog.
Best Vegan Mac N Cheese Products Of All Time
Yep, vegan mac n cheese is a thinga very delicious thing. It even comes in lots of shapes, sizes, and flavors. Luckily for us vegan cheese lovers, many brands make it and you can find it in stores all across the country.
Check out our list of the best store-bought vegan mac n cheese products, then ask your grown-ups to pick up a box the next time they go grocery shopping.
Mac & Cheese Vegan And Gluten
December 7, 2011
Ive made a few versions of vegan and gluten-free mac & cheese before. Most were tolerable and enjoyable enough. I couldnt honestly say it was a close match to authentic baked mac & cheese but it would curb the craving.
But then I found a recipe online that used Daiya Cheese Shreds and I knew I had to try it. Weve become quite enamored with Daiya Cheese in our house. Levi likes to make fried potatoes for a lazy Saturday morning breakfast with melted Daiya Cheddar on top. Im not as much of a fan of a breakfast like that, but to each his own.
The recipe is from Daiyas website and it turned out beautifully. I hope they dont mind that I share it here. There are a ton of great recipes on their site that I suggest you go and check out.
The original recipe calls for 8 ounces of pasta, but I used a whole 1 lb package of brown rice elbow noodles and the sauce coated it perfectly. I suspect that had I used only 8 ounces the noodle-to-sauce ratio wouldnt have been as good.
Also Check: Is Cous Cous Gluten
Daiya Cheezy Mac Deluxe Cheddar Style Box
|Information is currently not available for this nutrient.|
|* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs**.|
|** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDIs that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.|
How To Make Vegan Mac And Cheese
I love a good cashew cheese sauce or queso. However, I am not the biggest fan of cashew mac and cheese. Why? When I want macaroni and cheese, I want it to be as close to the real dairy-filled version as possible. Cashew mac just doesnt cut it for me!
Also, there are lots of vegans with nut allergies who cant eat cashews. This recipe is dedicated to yall! Thankfully, Daiya Foods Cheddar Style Cutting Board Shreds are nut-free.
The process for making this easy vegan mac and cheese is simple:
Also Check: Best Gluten Free Flour For Pasta
Tips For Making The Best Vegan Macaroni And Cheese
Even though this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is simple to make, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Undercook your pasta *just* a little bit, especially if youre making gluten-free mac and cheese. This will help the pasta hold its shape once you stir it into the creamy cheese sauce.
- Keep whisking as you add the non-dairy milk and cheese. If you dont whisk, youll end up with a clumpy cheese sauce and a burnt pan. No thank you!
- If you want a thinner cheese sauce, whisk in 2 1/4 cups non-dairy milk, then add more if desired.
- Also, the cheese sauce will thicken a bit once its refrigerated . Add more non-dairy milk if you know youre refrigerated this vegan mac and cheese.
Looking for more kid-friendly recipes like this vegan macaroni and cheese? Check out these 20 kid friendly vegan recipes!
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 cups Daiya Foods Cheddar Style Cutting Board Shreds
Macaroni And Cheese Vegan Dairy And Gluten Free
My kids LOVE macaroni and cheese. When my family became dairy free and my daughter became gluten free on top of that, I knew I needed to come-up with a yummy dairy and gluten free version. Thank goodness for Daiya brand cheese! It melts so well and provides my mac and cheese with such a great flavor. This recipe is also made that much better by the fact that So Delicious makes an amazing unsweetened coconut milk that totally replaces the regular milk in this recipe . I cant give So Delicious enough praisetheir products are truly amazing!!!
I know this is a good mac and cheese recipe because the neighborhood boys completely devour it whenever I make it.
One word of cautionDaiya is high in fat , but not nearly as high in fat as dairy based cheese. This is definitely a treat meal in my house. I recently spent some time up in Northern California because my dad had a DOUBLE knee replacement . My kids were troopers while I was gone, so I promised I would make them this mac and cheese recipe when I came home. I think they thought it was a very fair trade-off for having mom gone for so long.
INGREDIENTS16oz package of elbow macaroni 2 pkgs shredded Daiya Cheese Salt to taste 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.2. Cook pasta about 5 minutes until its just tender. Dont cook all the way or it will fall apart when you bake it.3. Drain pasta and transfer to glass baking dish.4. Bring the Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk to a low boil.
For a printable version of this recipe
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Flour Pasta Recipe
Cheddar Style Deluxe Cheezy Mac
Our Cheddar Style Cheezy Mac will delight your taste buds with its savory, rich cheddar flavor and the creaminess you love from a classic mac and cheese. Each and every bowl is conveniently made with our velvety dairy free cheese sauce and gluten free macaroni for allergen-friendly goodness we know youâll love.
Features Of Daiya Cheezy Mac Cheddar Style : : Rich & Creamy Plant
- COMFORT FOOD, ELEVATED: Daiya Cheezy Mac brings you all the rich, cheesy flavor of classic mac & cheese. With no dairy, gluten, or soy you can satisfy your craving without the worry.
- 100% VEGAN & ALLERGY-FRIENDLY: No lactose or dairy products. No animal products or by-products. No wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, or shellfish. We only use premium non-GMO ingredients. No artificial ingredients. Serve Cheezy Mac with confidence.
- TENDER GLUTEN-FREE NOODLES: Each box of Daiya Cheezy Mac provides 3 generous servings of whole-grain brown rice elbow macaroni, loaded with hearty flavor.
- SMOOTH, VELVETY SAUCE: No boxed mac-and-cheese powder here. This convenient squeeze pouch oozes ready-to-eat, cheddar-style sauce in its best tradition – thick, creamy & savory. Open, pour, devour.
- YOUR NEW FAVORITE INDULGENCE: You get the luscious taste & texture of macaroni & cheese – plus protein & calcium – all for just 300 calories per serving. Go ahead… indulge and enjoy.
Recommended Reading: Best Store-bought Gluten Free Pie Crust
Your Partner In Plant
Get recipes, tips and all kinds of cheezy goodnessdelivered right to your inbox.
A deliciously dairy-free vegan take on a classic, comforting favorite. This plant-based recipe for Creamy Macaroni & Cheese is made with Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds. Its topped with gluten-free breadcrumbs, vegan parmesan cheese and paprika. It takes just 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook.
Daiya Cheezy Mac Cheddar Style : : Rich & Creamy Plant
Daiya Cheddar Style Deluxe Cheezy Mac gives you all the rich cheesy flavor and creamy texture you expect from your macaroni & cheese. Without the dairy .Craving the macaroni & cheese of your childhood? Now you can savor this satisfying treat, even if you follow a dairy-free, gluten-free or vegan diet. Try Daiya Deluxe Cheezy Mac. It tastes just as deliciously cheesy as the mac & cheese you grew up with. It’s 100% vegan and free of dairy, gluten & soy.Daiya Cheezy Mac is made with a velvety nondairy cheese sauce and hearty whole grains.Each 10.6-Oz. Box Provides:3 generous servings 1 squeeze pouch filled with luscious, velvety sauceAn excellent source of calciumPlenty of hearty, whole-grain gluten-free pastaGo Ahead… IndulgeSimply cook the noodles, squeeze in the sauce, and enjoy. Best of all, rest assured that this delectable treat contains NO:Dairy – including lactose, casein and wheyGlutenShellfishCrave without CompromiseEach satisfying serving of Deluxe Cheezy Mac has 5 grams of protein & is an excellent source of calcium. Yet it has only 300 calories per serving… and no trans-fat or cholesterol per serving.Perfect for Families with Food AllergiesOur Deluxe Cheezy Mac is manufactured in a facility where we have an allergen program to prevent cross contamination.Plant-based non-GMO IngredientsTaste the delicious difference. Order Cheddar Style Cheezy Mac now.
Don’t Miss: Best Gluten Free Drinks
Different Ways To Make Dairy
There are a number of different ways to make a dairy-free cheese sauce for dairy-free mac and cheese. Youll see in this recipe roundup that you can make a dairy-free cheese about a million different ways. Some of the different ways in this roundup include:
- Swapping out the dairy ingredients like cheddar cheese, milk, and butter for their dairy-free alternatives
- Orange starchy vegetables, like carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash for color and texture along with other cheesy flavored ingredients, like nutritional yeast
- Soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, and other seasonings
- Beans mixed with nutritional yeast, dairy-free milk, vegetable broth, and vegan parmesan cheese
- Cauliflower and other vegetables mixed with vegan cheese, broth, and nutritional yeast
Read on: Is nutritional yeast gluten-free?
There are a ton of different ways to make dairy-free mac and cheese. As I was researching recipes for this roundup, I didnt come across even two that called for the exact same ingredients, which I think is really telling!
Either there are a ton of ways to get this right or there are a lot of people who think they can make a dairy-free mac and cheese that tastes good and many others seem to think they can make it better with different ingredients.
The bottom line is that you cant go wrong with any of these options. There are so many creative ways to make gluten-free dairy-free mac and cheese, so check out this list and find a few to try out to find your favorite!
Daiya Cheezy Mac Makes Dairy
Weve tried the Cheddar Style, and my husband thought it was quite close to dairy boxed mac and cheese . The sauce is smooth, quite creamy, and a little sticky, so it clings well to the noodles. It was pleasant, with a subdued but notable cheesy flavor and a slight tang.
if you have tried any of these Daiya Cheezy Mac flavors. It helps others make an informed purchasing decision.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Lactose Free Protein Shake
Ingredients Needed For This Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipe
Making the BEST vegan mac and cheese at home only requires eight ingredients:
- Elbow pasta. If you want gluten-free mac and cheese, use gluten-free elbows.
- Daiya Foods Cheddar Style Cutting Board Shreds. Youll need a whole bag for this vegan mac and cheese recipe. Want to mix it up? Replace some of the Cheddar Style shreds with Daiyas Mozzarella Style Shreds. Or even Pepperjack Style Shreds for a heat kick!
- Dairy-free butter.
- Black pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Non-dairy milk. Make sure its unsweetened. Soy, oat, almond, or any other non-dairy milk will do.
More Facts On Daiya Cheezy Mac
Price: $4.99 per 10.6-ounce box
Availability: Daiya Cheezy Mac is sold at Walmart, Target, Sprouts, Whole Foods, and various other grocers in the U.S. and Canada. You can also order it only from Vitacost or .
Certifications: Daiya Cheezy Mac is Certified Vegan, Non-GMO Verified, and Certified Gluten Free. Select varieties are Certified Kosher Parve.
Dietary Notes: By ingredients, Daiya Cheezy Mac is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.*
For More Product Information: Visit the Daiya Foods website at daiyafoods.com.
*Always read the ingredient and nutrition statement prior to consumption. Ingredients, processes, and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company or product. Contact the company to discuss their manufacturing processes if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. No food product can be guaranteed safe for every individuals needs. You should never rely on ingredient and allergen statements alone if dealing with a severe food allergy.
Don’t Miss: Cascadian Farms Granola Gluten Free
What Can You Substitute For Milk In Mac And Cheese
If youre looking to substitute milk in a mac and cheese recipe, either from scratch or a boxed milk, you can use just about any dairy-free milk alternative thats available.
I prefer coconut, almond, oat, and cashew milks for most one to one substitutions for milk in recipes. All of these will provide a creamy texture and fairly neutral flavor. Cashew and oat milks have the most neutral flavors, in my opinion.
Spinach Artichoke Mac And Cheese
- 1 12-ounce jar artichoke hearts
- 6 ounces Daiya Mozzarella Style Cutting Board Shreds, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 ounces Daiya Cheddar Style Cutting Board Shreds, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups baby spinach, 5 ounces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 8 ounces dry pasta, cavatappi or fusilli
Read Also: Is Mich Ultra Seltzer Gluten Free