Alpineaire Veggie Burrito Bowl
This freeze dried food option is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a meat-free substitute when out on the trail. It still provides enough substance to make you feel full and replenished after a long day hunting, hiking, or backpacking.
The AlpineAire Vegetarian Burrito Bowl contains a savory blend of cilantro-lime rice, black beans, corn, peppers, and zesty Mexican spices. Each package contains 600 total calories and a heaping 20 grams of protein. Preparation requires nothing more than the addition of boiling water, a stir or two, and a little patience.
What Is Freeze Drying And How Does It Work
Freeze drying is a modern method of food preservation that has been developed to preserve food. To freeze dry food the food is first placed into a vacuum chamber. When the vacuum has been applied to the chamber the temperature is lowered causing the food to freeze. Without getting deep into the scientific ins and outs of the phases of matter. Basically when the water freezes at the low pressure inside a vacuum it sublimates to a gas rather than becoming solid ice. The frozen water vapor gas is further extracted by the vacuum pump from the vacuum chamber. When the process has completed the vacuum is released and you are left with a piece of food that has had all the water removed.
Gluten Free Hiking Food Basics
If you’re still with me , you might want even more details about carbs, protein, and fats, and why it’s so important to get the right balance of them as a hiker.
If you haven’t read my general information on hiking nutrition, it’s good background reading.
Or to cut right to the chase, download my Hiking Nutrition Tips for Gluten Free Hikers.
- It’s an inexpensive, fast, info packed read to help you head out on the trail with GF confidence.
- It will also help you sort out the differences between gluten allergy, insensitivity and intolerance.
If you’re ready to start cooking up a GF storm, my current favorite blog with health information and great recipes for all occasions is right here.
- It’s not updated anymore, but it will take you a long time to work your way through all of the recipes!
Not sure what your digestive upsets on the trail are related to?
You May Like: Michelob Ultra Amber Max Carbs
Trailfork Coconut Chana Masala
TrailFork has really outdone themselves in putting this deliciously creamy spin on a lightly spiced classic. All of TrailForks meals are prepared in a separate container using only boiling water. This is largely due to the fact that theyre taking care of our environment by offering 100% compostable packaging.
The TrailFork Coconut Chana Masala is vegan and gluten-free. It contains white rice, garbanzo beans, coconut milk powder, spice, and tomato powder. Each pouch contains one, 590-calorie serving thats packed with 18 grams of protein. This freeze dried food option is ready to enjoy in just over 10 minutes.
The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Whole Grain Dog Food Complete Meal Or Dog Food Topper Chicken 4 Lb
- MAKES 16 LBS OF FOOD: Just add warm water for a wholesome & delicious meal that rehydrates to 4x its weight. A 4 LB box makes 16 LBs of fresh food! Serve alone as a complete easy homemade meal, or use as a topper to dry food.
- FREE RANGE CHICKEN & ORGANIC WHOLE GRAINS: The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Chicken dog food is made with real whole food ingredients like free range chicken, organic oats, carrots & bananas, which are gently dehydrated for maximum flavor & nutrient retention and easy digestion.
- SUITABLE FOR PUPPIES & ADULT DOGS: Complete & balanced nutrition for adult dogs and puppies of all breeds and sizes, including large breed puppies, as well as adult mothers .
- HUMAN GRADE: Unlike most pet food, which is feed grade, this recipe is 100% human grade made with human grade ingredients and produced in a human food facility. That means higher quality ingredients and more safety standards, just like youd expect from your own food.
- WE SAY NO TO: This recipe contains no preservatives, by-products, fillers, GMO ingredients, corn, wheat or soy.
You May Like: Is Wishbone French Dressing Gluten Free
Don’t Forget That Gluten Free Hiking Foodincludes Tea
Day hikers can brew up a batch of tea and bring it along, hot or cold, for refreshment along the trail.
Backpackers can rely upon herbal, black, green, and white teas for soothing night time rituals and bracing morning eye openers.
- Enjoy all the facts and recommendations for the best teas for hikers.
We Offer A Number Of Gluten Free Emergency Options
We know that a gluten free diet can be very limiting but your gluten free survival food doesn’t have to be. We have spent countless hours sourcing a number of gluten free options to provide our customers with many gluten free options to choose from. We have delicious gluten free survival food options ranging from tomato basil soup to maple brown sugar oatmeal. And the best part about our gluten free survival foods is that you cant even tell its gluten free. We offer a number of gluten survival foods aside from the obvious ones like freeze dried fruits and vegetables and freeze dried meats. A number of our tasty survival entreesare also gluten free and, of course, made with clean, nutritious real foods without chemicals and fillers.
Empty calories leave with feeling sluggish. We provide high-quality calories to keep you sharp.
Read Also: Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix Gluten Free
Gf Hiking Can Change Your Life
Gluten free hiking food is not a subject I take lightly.
About 25 years ago, I painfully discovered that wheat and rye and barley are not my friends, intestinally speaking.
Being the stubborn woman I am, I was not about to give up hiking, just because I couldn’t pack a sandwich and chocolate chip cookies in my day pack!
Unless you’ve made a conscious effort to notice how many foods contain gluten, you probably don’t realize what a monumental effort it is to find food that is free of the stuff AND trail friendly.
- Added challenge: Decades ago, nobody had even heard of gluten free hiking foods!
Also: try eating carrot sticks and salami day after day on a backpacking trip, running out of fast fuel for hard working muscles…
I learned the hard way that gluten free ain’t easy.
But it’s oh so necessary for some of us!
Twenty five years of trial and error is a long time… so I know what I’m talking about when I share these gluten free hiking food tips.
Stewart Freeze Dried Beef Liver
- 100% SOURCED & MADE IN USA Each small batch of our made in USA dog treats is freeze dried under our own roof in Dayton, Ohio to use with confidence under yours. All ingredients are USDA certified and responsibly sourced from suppliers in the US.
- THE ORIGINAL FREEZE DRIED DOG TRAINING TREATS Since 1973, we have made our freeze dried dog treats the same way, and they are the preferred dog training treats of professional trainers. Reward your dog with a treat he will love, satisfaction guaranteed!
- SINGLE INGREDIENT GRAIN FREE DOG TREATS The only ingredient in this recipe is USDA-certified, human-grade beef liver. Our natural dog treats are grain free, gluten free, soy free, and corn free with no preservatives, artificial colors, or flavors. They are non-GMO
- PUPPY TREATS, DOG TREATS, DOG FOOD TOPPER Reward good behavior and tricks with our great tasting dog treats or use as a dog food topper to add variety and excitement with a boost of raw nutrition and taste to every meal. Perfect for finicky eaters!
- NATURAL RAW NUTRITION Feeding raw dog food can be messy. Our process starts with raw liver and gently removes moisture to lock in flavor and nutrients. We pack our dog treats in a resealable tub to preserve the delicious taste dogs crave.
You May Like: Dove Gluten Free Products
Nut Butter Wishes It Were Granola Butteryour Browser Indicates If Youve Visited This Link
Next up, associate editor Ali Francis makes the case for Granola Butter. A few years ago I started experiencing a strange sweating sensation after eating nut butter. I am not a scientist, but Id guess the ailment had something to do with the way I consumed it: Heaping spoonfuls straight to the gob.
Wild Zora Mountain Beef Stew
The team at Wild Zora makes delicious trail snacks and meals from minimally processed, all-natural ingredients. This freeze dried meal is ideal for backpackers, hikers, and hunters that want to eat on the trail just like they eat at home.
The Wild Zora Mountain Beef Stew contains grass-fed beef, organic carrots, onion, broccoli, mushrooms, kale, celery, green onion, sea salt, garlic, marjoram, thyme, and parsley. Each container holds a single, 420-calorie serving and lasts up to 2 years unopened. Perhaps best of all, improved packaging makes the pouches these meals come in even easier to eat from.
Recommended Reading: Things That Have Gluten That You Wouldn T Expect
The Ultimate Guide To Gluten Free Backpacking Food
This post may contain affiliate links.
There are tons of gluten-free backpacking food options out there, but the trick is knowing where to look! In this guide, weve collected options as we could find to build a comprehensive resource for gluten-free backpacking meals!
Whether you have Celiac, are gluten intolerant, or just trying to cut down your gluten consumption, trying to find gluten-free backpacking food often requires an exhaustive amount of label-reading. This means parsing through every ingredient list with a magnifying glass to ensure some weirdo wheat-derivative wasnt slipped into an otherwise benign-looking product.
Thankfully the backpacking food industry has realized the growing demand for gluten-free products and has not only started producing more options but properly labeling their gluten-free backpacking meals.
So we scoured the internet to find as many gluten-free freeze-dried and dehydrated meals as we could, and were sharing them all in one place. So if you are a gluten-free backpacker this is your one-stop-shop!
How Much Food Should You Pack For Backpacking
For most backpackers, who plan on hiking all day with a heavier pack, Backpacker.com suggests aiming for 25-30 calories per pound of body weight, per day. For shorter hiking days or if covering less strenuous terrain, you can scale it down to 21-25 calories per pound of body weight, per day.
Instead of eating just three meals per day like you might at home, aim to eat throughout the day and consume 30-60 grams of carbohydrates per hour to keep your energy high and prevent hitting the wall.
Again, these are just rough estimations. Everyones body burns calories at different rates. So if you are preparing for a longer backpacking trip, you will absolutely want to do a few weekend shakedown trips to get a sense of what your appetite will be like.
Read Also: Does Salad Dressing Contain Gluten
Backpackers Pantry Pad Thai
The Backpackers Pantry Pad Thai is a non-GMO, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free backcountry meal that is high in protein to replenish the calories you exert throughout the day. Its made of premium freeze dried meats and produce to provide nutritious enjoyment for backpackers, hikers, and hunters alike.
This freeze dried meal contains two servings, each with 460 total calories. Rice noodles are seasoned with a spicy, sweet, garlic sauce and supplemented with textured soy protein, vegetables, and roasted peanuts. Preparation on this one requires a little more effort, but the returns are certainly worth the work.
X Organic Porridge With Cranberry Apple And Cinamon
Try our version of classic cinnamon and apple taste in our porridge enriched with cranberries. This warm breakfast will immediately transport you to favorite fall memories. Nutritious coconut milk, gluten free oats, chia seeds, cranberries and pieces of apples with cinnamon. All 100% organic, without any instant ingredients. Our porridge is made just like our grandmothers use to make it. Thanks to freeze-drying you can taste it anywhere.
Also Check: Is Dove Dark Chocolate Gluten Free
Dont Let Your Dietary Restrictions Leave You Unprepared
With 18 million people in the United States suffering from a gluten allergy we knew we couldn’t call ourselves an emergency food storage company without providing gluten free emergency food. So thats what we did! We spent countless hours working to provide those who are allergic to gluten with viable options to meet their daily caloric intake when faced with an emergency. If you are one of those 18 million people currently suffering from a gluten allergy, dont stress, you can be just as prepared as someone without a gluten allergy with our variety of gluten free survival food options. And with all the rumblings of a food shortage coming soon and people asking how to survive hyperinflation there’s never been a better time to stock up.
Orijen Freeze Dried Dog Food & Topper Grain Free High Protein Premium Raw Meat Original Recipe 16oz
- ORIJEN Original Freeze-Dried Dog Food delivers a diet rich and varied in raw, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 90% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN Freeze-Dried Food offers the benefits of a raw diet in a convenient dry form, nourishing dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free, protein-rich diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
Recommended Reading: Ricola Cough Drops Gluten Free
Vegetarian Gluten Free Backpacking Meals
As well as being gluten free, we have a great selection of options which are also available for vegetarians, offering the best choice for gluten free vegetarian free dried meals and expedition food. for our Extreme Adventure Food Vegetarian Shepherds Pie. This is a lightweight freeze dried meal weighing only 179g dried but packing 800Kcals. It combines potato, onion and mushrooms in a tasty sauce . Add some spice with the ever popular Mountain House Vegetable Tikka – to take a look. It is a tasty blend of vegetables in a spicy sauce with rice.
Planning For My Gluten Free/dairy Free Thru
Over the course of my 2,185 mile AT journey I will be faced with many challenges intense lightening, roaming bears, cold rain, and ridiculously rocky terrain but proper nutrition shouldnt be one of them. I adhere to a gluten-and dairy-free diet, which means I cant rely on diet of Pop tarts, Snickers bars and ramen noodles to fuel my hike. Figuring out what to eat on my thru-hike has been the most stressful part of planning for me.
Ive gotten some good advice from friends and strangers on AT related FB groups, all of which I am so very grateful for. Ive also gotten my fair share of negative and derogatory comments as well. So let me set a few things straight: being gluten and dairy free isnt a choice as much as a necessity. When I eat gluten and dairy I get terrible, terrible stomach pains. It feels like a thousand tiny knives stabbing my insides for days. Believe me, if I could eat gluten and dairy I would! Why would anyone in their right mind choose to make their thru-hike more complicated? Do you have any idea how hard its going to be for me to turn away from trail magic and breakfasts at hostels? Im already dreading it.
With that cleared up, here is the start of my thru-hiking gf/dairy free plan. I still have a lot to figure out. I am also 100% sure that most of my planning will be shot to hell within two weeks of getting on the trail, but I have to start somewhere.
Its all about the mail drops.
Mail day! The happiest day of the week.
You May Like: Does Captain Morgan Have Gluten