Tips For Shopping Gluten Free And Dairy Free Snacks
- Choose the place. Health food stores, are ideal places to buy gluten free and dairy free ingredients especially for frozen or refrigerated foods. But you might find even a larger variety when browsing online retailers. No matter your physical location if you cant find something in your local grocery stores you will definitely find it online.
- Read the ingredient label. Dont just rely on front labeling read the ingredient list on the back of the packaging, sometimes youll find that the expectations dont correspond with the actual ingredients. You can also find out warnings of cross-contamination , which is really helpful for those with severe allergies.
- Certified Gluten Free, Dairy Free Or Vegan is the best way to be sure a products is indeed free of those. For people Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity is very important because even trace amounts can cause serious symptoms. This certification means that it does not rely solely on product testing to ensure safety, but examines the entire practices and production process of the facility from ingredient sourcing to employee training, cleaning practices and cross-contact controls. An example is oats. They are naturally gluten free but if the package is not certified gluten free, the product is likely to contain trace amounts of gluten due to cross contamination.
- Stick to naturally gluten-free foods. The best way to ensure a proper nutrition is to eat whole foods and occasionally some packaged foods.
+ Gluten Free Dairy Free Snacks
Whether you have a food allergy, an intolerance, or simply choose to follow a gluten-free, dairy-free diet, finding snacks to fit your needs can be tricky. In this post, youll find more than 40 gluten-free dairy-free snack ideas to get you started!
From easy snack pairings to store-bought snacks to homemade recipes, weve got all the options here. Youll also learn what ingredients to avoid in packaged products and find tips for building satisfying, filling snacks.
Homemade Gluten Free Snacks For Kids
Almond Butter or Peanut Butter Served With Fresh Fruit And Vegetables
Cannellini Tahini Hummus Dip for vegetables.
No Bake Homemade Breakfast Bars This one wins the ultimate healthy gluten free snacks for kids award! I call them breakfast bars because my kids love to eat the on-the-go on the way to school in the mornings or as a healthy snack in the afternoon and even as a dessert treat in the evenings after dinner.
One reader said I carry these everywhere, they are so easy to make and my kids absolutely love them!
Tropical Bliss Smoothie Freeze in Popsicle molds and turn into healthy homemade popsicles! Smoothies are great as a grain free option.
Crispy Rice Date And Cashew Bars
Read Also: Publix Better Than Bouillon
Tips For Creating Healthy Gluten Free Snacks
Most recipes can be substituted with gluten free flour mix in place of wheat flour and try using maple syrup or coconut sugar instead of white sugar. Coconut milk or almond milk is great to use in place of dairy milk and cream in recipes.
And last, here is a new favorite household snack the boys have been loving lately! You can totally skip the chocolate coating in these crispy rice date and cashew bars or roll them into balls. Soak the cashews for a creamier consistency but if time is limited you can skip that process.
Enjoy these healthy gluten free snack ideas, lovely friends!
Make A Charcuterie Board For Every Holiday
You might even decide to make your snack board themed for a special occasion. Here are a few ideas on how to make your snack board super fun and festive:
- Use all red and pink foods for Valentines Day: beet hummus, red pepper sticks, strawberries, pepperoni, red candies, etc.
- Use all green food for St. Patricks Day: kiwifruit, green grapes, green pepper sticks, pistachios, herbs, celery, etc.
- Use red, white, and blue foods for the 4th of July or Labor Day: berries, bananas, pear slices, gluten-free toast, cashews, blue tortilla chips, etc.
- Use fall colored foods for Thanksgiving: salami, ham, oranges, figs, grapes, pecans, walnuts, apples, etc.
- Use red and green foods for Christmas: pepperoni, apples, cucumbers, grapes, green olives, kiwifruit, tomatoes, dairy-free pesto, fresh herbs mixed into your hummus, etc.
Recommended Reading: Jersey Mike Gluten Free
Simple Homemade Snack Ideas
Of course, outside of pre-made store-bought snacks, you can easily create your own delicious and healthy snack combinations. Here are a few simple quick ideas, and then youll find more in-depth recipes below!
1. Nut or seed butter with rice crackers. There are so many nut and seed butters to choose from, so this snack is very versatile. Switch it up with pumpkin seed butter, pecan butter, sunflower seed butter, or even watermelon seed butter. You can also make your own by grinding nuts or seeds in a food processor. If your rice crackers are flavored, make sure they dont have any dairy in the seasoning.
2. Roasted chickpeas. Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are an all-in-one snack! Theyre packed with fiber, protein, and carbohydrates. You can make your own at home by tossing chickpeas with a little oil and gluten-free seasonings, then roasting at 400°F for about 20-30 minutes.
3. Dairy-free yogurt with gluten-free granola. There are so many options for dairy-free yogurt today, so pick your favorite! Popular non-dairy yogurts are made from coconut, soy, almonds, and even cashews. Pair with certified gluten-free granola for a nice crunch.
7. Rice cake with nut or seed butter and banana slices. Rice cakes are an easy gluten-free option and can be found in most grocery stores. However, they dont do much to fill you up when eaten alone. Make it a snack by pairing with your favorite nut or seed butter for protein and banana slices for carbohydrates and fiber.
Love This Recipe Save It For Later
I hope that if youve been thinking about what to serve as a gluten-free dairy-free appetizer that this gluten-free dairy-free snack board has been inspiring to you!
Pick a few ingredients, arrange them on a board, and wow your friends! Remember, the key is choosing ingredients that work for your gluten and dairy-free diet! When you do that, youll have an amazing and delicious snack board that not only tastes good, but will impress anyone who gets to enjoy it!
Find more gluten -free appetizers that are also dairy-free here.
Read Also: Aldi Tuscan Garden Italian Dressing
Getting The Nutrients You Need
Restricting foods in your diet can increase your risk of nutritional deficiencies. According to a 2016 study in Clinical Nutrition, gluten-free diets are lacking in fiber, vitamin D, vitamin B12, iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium. These nutrients are important to digestive health, energy production, bone strength and immune function.
If you’re also cutting out dairy, your calcium intake can be severely limited. Calcium and vitamin D work together to support bone health a deficiency in both nutrients can lead to weakened bones and osteoporosis. It’s important to identify alternative sources of these nutrients in gluten- and dairy-free foods and include them in your daily diet.
Regularly eating these gluten- and dairy-free foods will help you get enough of these important nutrients:
Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookies And Sweet Treats
Also Check: Are Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Gluten Free
Strawberry Banana Granola Yogurt Parfaits
If you think you cant enjoy granola when youre following a gluten free diet, youre in for a surprise.
With Kashis new cereal called GoLean Vanilla Clusters, you can dive into these beautiful strawberry banana Greek yogurt parfaits.
Kashis cereal is non-GMO certified vegan and gluten free. The yogurt used in this recipe is Simple Truth Greek yogurt .
Besides being almost sinfully delicious, these gorgeous parfaits are packed with beneficial fiber and more than 18 grams of protein.
This recipe calls for strawberries and bananas, but you can experiment with other berries. Top with nuts, pumpkin seed, or sunflower seeds.
Its great to have a quick and easy energy snack around the house.
You never know when youre going to need something for that extra afternoon pick-me-up.
These delightful little balls of goodness are made from gluten-free oats, chia seeds, flax, and antioxidant-rich dark chocolate chips. Consider adding coconut chips for an extra burst of exotic flavor.
These energy bites are a perfect source of fiber, protein, and healthy fats, so gobble them up anytime you need some quick go-juice. Add some sunflower seeds for even more wholesome goodness.
Be sure to choose a natural peanut butter that doesnt have added sugar. You can also try other types of nut butter.
When youre wanting something sweet but are committed to controlling how much sugar is in your foods, reach for these crunchy, crispy apple chips.
Celery With Peanut Butter And Raisins
Celery with peanut butter and raisins is a great snack for kids to make for themselves! If you have really picky eaters at home, you can pull off the tough outer strings of the celery.
Other than that, this healthy snack is as simple as slathering nut butter on celery sticks and placing raisins on top. The sweet raisins paired with nut butter and naturally salty celery is a super satisfying snack.
Recommended Reading: Dove Strawberry Sorbet Bars
Probar Bolt Energy Chews
Probably my favorite product by Probar is actually their Bolt energy chews. These things are sooo tasty, you will want to gobble up a whole bag at once.
These gummies will give you a much-needed burst of energy, whether youre in the midst of a long run or hike, or are just tired from a long day. They are certified gluten free and dairy free, and full of electrolytes and B vitamins.
My fave flavor is raspberry but they come in lots of other flavors, too!
Do All Gluten And Dairy
No! As a mom, Ive been at this for a while. Weve tasted the good, the bad and the dry to see which ones are snack approved by my son. He has spit out some snacks, while others he will attempt to eat the whole package in one day.
Knowing that all allergy-friendly snacks are not created equal, traveling without our own on hand can become a problem.
Read Also: Is Dove Dark Chocolate Dairy Free
Gluten And Dairy Free Yogurt
- Harmless Harvest Dairy Free Yogurt one of the best dairy free yogurts on the market with a cleaner ingredient list and not too much sugar added and no gums when comparing to others. They have 4 different flavors: strawberry, vanilla, blueberry or just plain.
- Forager Project Dairy Free Cashew Milk Yogurt this is a great alternative if you prefer an unsweetened yogurt.
- Probiotic Drinkable Dairy Free Yogurt absolutely delicious: the consistency nice and creamy and its drinkable so you can grab it on the go. Perfect for those who dont like almond based yogurts. The only drawback high in sugar.
- So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Yogurt relatively good with a nice consistency but it has a few dubious ingredients like calcium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate and guar gum which I try to avoid.
Store Shelves With Snacks
Gogo Squeez Fruit On The Go Variety Pack
- UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE FRUIT SNACK POUCHES: Made from 100% fruit with no high fructose corn syrup, no added colors or flavors and no sugar added* (*Not a low calorie food.
- VARIETY PACK OF BULK SNACKS: Stock up on this variety pack of 20, 3.
- FREE FROM MAJOR ALLERGENS: Nut free, dairy free and gluten free vegan snacks in portable, BPA-free squeezable applesauce pouches.
- KIDS SNACKS & TODDLER SNACKS: Pack these plant based pouches in a backpack, diaper bag, beach bag or travel bag to make kids smile after games or play time, during a car ride, trip to the airport, family road trip or any adventure.
- FUN & EASY SNACKS: For a super fun treat pop an applesauce squeeze pouch in the freezer overnight and use it as a frozen icepack in your childs lunch box for a happy belly at schoolgreat after school snack and great to snack on anytime, anywhere.
- THE NUTRITION KIDS NEED: GoGo squeeZ provides the nutrition kids need to explore, learn, play and just be kids! Perfect for adults too! Keep a snack pouch in your work lunch bag, your gym bag or running gear, or purse for tasty energy on the go.
- VARIETY OF SNACK POUCHES: From GoGo squeeZ Fruit on the Go, GoGo squeeZ fruit and veggieZ, GoGo BIG squeeZ, GoGo squeeZ happy tummieZ, GoGo squeeZ smoothieZ to GoGo squeeZ yogurtZ, we create snack pouches every child in your family will love.
Recommended Reading: New Belgium Glutiny Celiac
Gluten And Dairy Free Cereal
Related: Gluten Free Dairy Free Snack Ideas Wholesome Homemade Snacks for Kids & Adults