Why This Recipe Is The Best
If you’re a fan of Fall spices, you’ll love this cake – it’s not a carrot cake or pumpkin bread, but it has all the delicious flavors of them wrapped up in one tasty cake. Beside being dairy free, egg free and gluten free, this recipe is also:
- Perfectly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice
- Easy to store
- Convenient with multiple pan size options
Basically, it’s the perfect cake for serving to a crowd with food allergies. And everyone else will have no idea, other than that it’s a delicious cake!
Spread Them On Your Favorite Vegan Desserts
Dairy-free cookies and desserts have come a long way in the past two decades, thanks to milk and butter substitutes that better replicate the complex sugar and protein structures present in dairy. Once you figure out how to bake without butter, frosting your cake, cookie, or muffin is the easy part.
Most of these dairy-free frosting recipes are just as easy as their conventional counterparts. Once you have a standard pantry of dairy-free margarine, dairy-free milk, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract, you can tackle many of these recipes. Some call for additional ingredients, like soy yogurt or apple cider vinegar. These are easily available at almost all grocery stores.
More Dessert Ideas For The Birthday Party
- heart-shaped peanut butter cookies these are an instant hit at any party with their fun heart-shape and delicious flavor
- brownie cookie sandwiches brownies are fun to have on the birthday dessert table too. This recipes takes them to the next level as a brownie cookie with buttercream frosting in the middle. Every cookie sandwich is the perfect bite.
- classic apple crisp this classic recipe is always a hit. Youll enjoy this recipes doubled topping taste
Read Also: Dove Caramel Milk Chocolate Gluten Free
How To Make Gluten
- For the creamiest frosting, sift the powdered sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the pure vanilla extract and salt mix until fully combined.
- Add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time and mix until fully combined. Scape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the milk 1 teaspoon at a time, depending on how firm you want the frosting, and beat until smooth and spreadable.
Expert Tips For Success
- Always make sure your butter is slightly softened before starting. To make sure your butter is at the right temperature, lightly press your finger into the butter. If it leaves a shallow indent, your butter is at the perfect temperature. If your finger sinks into the butter with barely any effort, your butter is too soft. Refrigerate it until it has firmed up.
- If you find that after you add all the ingredients and mix for about 3-4 minutes that the consistency is good, then no need to add any milk. Milk makes the buttercream smoother and softer, so if a stiff, more firm result is what you want, then feel free to omit the milk.
- If you prefer a more light and fluffy frosting, after adding the milk, continue mixing for about 5-6 minutes.
- If you find that youve whipped too long and the icing is too fluffy, give it a few good stirs with a wooden spoon to knock out some of the air pockets and make it a little less fluffy.
- Read this post from beginning to end before making the recipe, it contains lots of tips and tricks on how to make the perfect buttercream frosting, every single time!
- For the very best results, follow the recipe exactly as its written and dont reduce the amount of powdered sugar or butter called for. The recipe can be halved if you need just a very small amount, or doubled if you need more.
Are you new to vegan gluten-free baking? If so, be sure to read all of my vegan gluten-free baking tips!
Also Check: Sabatasso’s Gluten Free Pizza Where To Buy
Whats The Difference Between Buttercream Frosting And Buttercream Icing
While many people use the terms icing and frosting interchangeably, theres actually a difference.
Frosting is made with a cream base and icing is made with a sugar base. They will both contain sugar as an ingredient however.
Youll also find that buttercream frosting is made with butter and will give it more of a butter like taste versus the sugary taste you get from the buttercream frosting.
In general, frosting is usually thicker and fluffier, while icing is usually thinner and has a glossy texture.
More Gluten + Dairy Free Cake Recipes
- vanilla buttercream frosting you wanna sink your teeth into this decadent frosting. This no-fail vanilla buttercream has been our got-to for years.
- carrot cake bars moist, light, and yet rich, these bars baked in an easy 9×13-inch pan are heavenly
- chocolate bundt cake fudgy and full of chocolate flavor, this bundt cake is a must-try for birthdays and holidays topped with an easy 2-ingredient ganache
- pineapple cake always a favorite, this cake has bite-size pineapple chunks in it for the best flavor. This cake tastes so, so good.
- sprinkle cake a popular gluten and dairy free cake idea anyone can do
- chocolate ganache spread we use this recipe so often for homemade donuts, as a drizzle topping on our cakes, as a fun dip for waffles and so much more. This 2-ingredient recipe is amazing.
Also Check: Puffed Rice Cereal Brands
What To Do If Your Vegan Frosting Is Too Runny
If you accidentally add too much milk and make your vegan frosting too runny and your frosting is sloppy, too loose, or weeping, try adding ¼- ½ cup more of powdered sugar.
Extra powdered sugar can sometimes help to absorb the extra liquid and save the day.
You can also try chilling your frosting, and then whipping it up again once it has firmed up.
The vegan butter may have gotten too warm, making your vegan buttercream runny.
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake Ingredients
There arent any weird or unusual ingredients needed for these cupcakes. Most items youll have on hand in your pantry or fridge. Here are a few notes regarding some of the ingredients. Make sure you go to the bottom recipe card for the entire list of ingredients needed.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Check to see if your blend contains xanthan gum. This can also be swapped for regular cake flour if you are not gluten-free.
- Dairy-Free Sour Cream: This can be swapped for dairy-free plain yogurt. You can also use regular sour cream or yogurt if you are not dairy-free.
- Dairy-Free Milk: I love to bake with unsweetened almond milk but this recipe will work with any type of dairy-free or dairy milk.
- Oil: Use canola or vegetable oil for best results.
- Almond Extract: Adds a delicious flavor profile but can be omitted.
- Dairy-Free Whipping Cream: This recipe uses dairy-free whipping cream. Alternatively, you could use coconut whipped cream or regular whipping cream if you are not dairy-free.
Also Check: Costco Gluten Free Cake
Frequently Asked Questions About Gluten
How do you make frosting from scratch without powdered sugar?
You can make frosting with white sugar and rice flour and get a smooth, fluffy texture by cooking the base quickly before whipping it.
Does all powdered sugar have cornstarch?
Most powdered sugar has cornstarch. Some brands offer powdered sugar stabilized with tapioca starch instead. If you see powdered sugar listed as an ingredient, you should assume it contains conr unless is specifically says otherwise.
How do you make frosting from scratch without dairy/milk?
This recipe can be made with non-dairy substitutes. The plant-based version is equally fluffy and delicious.
How do you make gluten-free frosting from scratch?
You can uses sweet rice flour or white rice flour to make a quick, fluffy gluten-free frosting that is corn free too.
How do you make fluffy frosting from scratch?
Quickly cooking a frosting base made with sugar and rice flour before blending makes a smooth, fluffy frosting.
Ingredients For Dairy Free Banana Cake Frosting
Dairy Free Frosting Ingredients For Gluten Free Banana Cake
- Coconut whipping cream . It is mostly sold in online stores.
- Vegan butter whipped to add extra firmness.
- Powdered sugar or powdered maple sugar .
- Vanilla extract and almond extract .
- Freeze dried bananas powdered .
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below.
Also Check: Sabatassos Gluten-free Four-cheese Pizza
Whats The Best Aip Frosting For Cookies
For a frosting that hardens at room temperature, I would recommend the coconut-maple frosting. I use this frosting on some cookies as well as on things like these AIP Pumpkin Spice Donuts. While the other variations of AIP frosting can/do harden in the fridge, they dont hold up particularly well to something like stacking cookies in a cookie jar. That said, none of these options performs quite like powdered sugar in terms of hardening.
Which Dairy Substitutes Should You Use To Make Dairy Free Buttercream Frosting
When you choose a non-dairy milk to use in your dairy free frosting, youll want to stick to neutral tasting milk something very plain like unsweetened coconut milk is a good choice.
You can use any milk that works for your diet, but just note that if you use something like hemp milk, it will impart a stronger flavor to the frosting.
If there arent any non-dairy milks that work for your diet, you can use water, but the icing will be a little less creamy.
There are a few different choices for vegan buttery spread as well. I prefer to use Earth Balance Soy Free Spread. You could use the baking sticks or the Earth Balance Original Spread.
If Earth Balance doesnt work for your diet, there are a couple of other options. You can try Melt spread, or even Smart Balance, which can be found in most grocery store chains. All of these spreads have a buttery flavor and a similar texture to butter. As always, read the labels and call the company to make sure a product is safe for you. You could also try palm shortening that should work well.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make perfect dairy free frosting:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Crackers Walmart
Why This Recipe Works
When it comes to baking, frosting takes everything to the next level.
In fact, when I was a kid, I would purposely scrape all the frosting off the cake in child-like ceremonious glee, before eating any actual cake. The pleasure was doubled when there were buttercream flowers involved, and I could literally stick a quarter cup of frosting straight into my mouth. It was glorious.
But what if you have a dairy allergy, or you choose to cut dairy out of your diet, for good? What then? Because life without frosting is a life I dont wanna live.
Luckily, theres one ingredient that can swoop in and rescue your frosting tragedy, while also providing a delicious punch of flavor: coconut oil.
Coconut oil is the perfect butter substitute, especially when youre talking frosting. It adds the same creaminess and texture as buttercream, creating a moan-worthy coconut frosting everyone will rave about.
Gluten Free Banana Cake With Dairy Free Frosting
A fluffy and moist gluten free banana cake with dairy free frosting infused with natural banana flavor made with healthier ingredients and mostly without refined sugar. Enjoy this layered gluten and dairy free banana cake as it is or finish it with a buttery dairy free frosting. Decorate with fresh banana slices and touch of powdered cacao if you like!
This is a soft, moist gluten free banana cake that is not overwhelmingly sweet and the dairy free frosting enhances the cake without overpowering it. No matter what occasion I make this gluten and dairy free banana cake for, its always a hit.
This gluten free banana cake is actually inspired by this gluten free and dairy free banana swiss roll cake but this time I used different flours and frosting.
Also Check: Caputo Gluten Free Pizza Dough Recipe
Gluten Free Dairy Free Frosting
To make funfetti frosting , gently mix in some rainbow sprinkles at the end.
To make chocolate frosting, add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder with the wet ingredients and decrease the powdered sugar amount by the same amount.
To make strawberry frosting, substitute 1/4 cup strawberry puree or strawberry jam for the liquid.
Pro Tip #2 Sifting The Powdered Sugar
Sifting the powdered sugar creates lighter and smaller sugar particles. This results in a finer blend in the frosting. If youre wondering if you really have to sift the powdered sugar? Well, its not as essential as say an ingredient and if youre just using a knife to spread the frosting, skipping sifting is not going to change the taste or make it inedible. But if youre piping the frosting, sifting is a must – so theres no chance of lumps, just fine, air filled sugar, perfect for frosting.
Don’t Miss: Do Panko Crumbs Have Gluten
Why Has My Buttercream Failed
There are a few reasons why your vegan vanilla cupcake frosting can fail. Let me explain the reasons below or jump to the next section to see my troubleshooting tips.
Creamy Dark Chocolate Fudge
Ingredients: sugar, water, palm oil, cocoa powder processed with alkali, corn syrup, canola oil, contains 2% or less of: corn starch, mono- and diglycerides, polysorbate 60, citric acid, preservative , sodium acid pyrophosphate, cocoa powder, artificial flavor, mixed tocopherols , sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium citrate.
Nutrition : 140 calories, 5g fat, 21g carbs, 0g fiber, 20g sugars , 0g protein.*
Don’t Miss: Does French Onion Soup Have Gluten
How To Make Royal Icing For Cookies:
This recipe makes three cups of royal icing. It is gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
You will need:
- Stand mixer, or electric hand mixer
- Powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten free meringue powder
- 8 tablespoons warm water