How To Make Cream Of Rice Cereal From Scratch
This recipe is so simple, it can be made on even the busiest of mornings. And what busy mom doesnt love having yummy recipes you can make in a matter of minutes?
- Grind rice coarsely in a blender or coffee grinder. Its up to you how finely you want to grind the rice, as this will affect the texture of the cereal. I prefer a coarser grind that gives the dish a heartier feel.
- Heat liquid over medium heat to a slow boil. For the liquid, you can use water, milk, coconut milk, etc. You can even make your own Homemade Coconut Milk, Homemade Almond Milk, or Rice Milk, etc.
- Add rice gradually, stirring while adding. I always use brown rice, which makes a very hearty and filling dish. White rice will cook faster and make a lovely cereal, but it does have less fiber and nutritional value. You could also make this with basmati rice, jasmine rice, wild rice, black Japonica rice, or any other variety! Each one will give you a new flavor profile and will surely turn out delicious.
- Cover and simmer for 4-15 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally and adding more liquid as needed. The ground rice will soak up the liquid and become wonderfully creamy.
- Serve with desired toppings. I recommend butter or another fat, like coconut oil, sweetener, cinnamon, and a dash of salt. I list the salt as optional, but for me, it definitely is not. I include salt in pretty much all of my recipes, including sweet dishes, since it brings out the sweetness and totally makes the dish.
Keto And Co: Keto Hot Breakfast
Keto Hot Breakfast from Keto and Co resembles the taste and texture of oatmealonly it is made from coconut, which means it is naturally gluten-free. The company suggests skipping the coconut oil during cooking if you’re watching your intake of fat and calories for a 50-calorie breakfast that’s loaded with fiber.
Keto Hot Breakfast is available in plain and flavored options, including Peaches and Cream, Apple Cinnamon, and Maple Brown Sugar. Each bag contains eight servings.
Keto and Co’s Hot Breakfast cereal is gluten-free to 20 ppm or less. But keep in mind that the company’s focus is the keto diet, not the gluten-free diet, which means that it may produce other gluten-containing products in a shared facility.
Nature’s Path Maple Almond Crunch Grain Free Hot Cereal
Natures Path Maple Almond Crunch is a grain-free hot cereal made with sweet maple, roasted almonds, and chia seeds, making it a nutrient-dense choice with healthy fats that includes a boost of plant-based protein from watermelon seed protein powder. It also comes in a Cinnamon Apple Crisp flavor if you’re a fan of the classic taste of apples.
Some Nature’s Path Cereals are labeled “gluten free” and contain less than 20 ppm. Others are labeled “certified gluten free” and contain less than 10 ppm.
Also Check: Kraft Golden Italian Salad Dressing
Disadvantages Of Cream Of Rice
Prior to I finish up, I thought I d share some intriguing trivia/ fond memories:
Each of Labrada and Kleins meal plans had cream of rice in it . The high calorie meal strategies even had cream of rice twice a day.
Cream Of Rice: Homemade Vegan Gluten Free Cereal
Smooth, silky, and perfectly creamy, this gluten free cereal option can be made with just one essential ingredient that you likely have in that stocked pantry of yours- rice! Its homemade cream of rice, the even silkier and creamier cousin of cream of wheat. Its the perfect DIY breakfast option for when you dont have great breakfast foods, dont want to leave the house, and dont want to do a lot of work. Simple, versatile, allergen-friendly, and delicious, breakfast just got a little better!
Skip the Post,
Don’t Miss: Cascadian Farms Cereal Gluten Free
Recipe And Dietary Notes
- Watch the pan when cooking the cereal. If necessary, add more liquid to keep the cereal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- You can boost the nutritive value of this dish by soaking the rice overnight. See this post on Soaking Grains – the Why and the How for more information.
- Liquid Options: For the liquid, you can use water, milk, or a non-dairy milk like coconut milk (here’s how to make your own Homemade Coconut Milk, Homemade Almond Milk, etc.
- Rice: You can use any variety you choose. I prefer whole grain. If you use white rice it will cook much faster, but you will be giving up the fiber and nutrition of the bran and germ. White rice has a higher glycemic index as well.
- THM Diet: If you are on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, this cream of rice qualifies as an “E” recipe, depending on your topping choices.
- Salt: I mention in the recipe card that salt is optional. For me, it most certainly is not. Try it with a dash and you’ll see what I mean. It accents the sweetener and the cereal isn’t the same without it.
Cream of rice is a great way to warm up on a chilly fall or winter day of course, but you could easily add a bit of jam and some berries to make it perfect for a spring or summer day as well.
Basically, there’s no wrong way to eat this!
Why Do Body Builders Eat Cream Of Rice
The researchers of that study found that most of the bodybuilders they researched consumed high-protein, high-carbohydrate and low-fat diets. This is why cream of rice is a perfect option for a bodybuilding diet, as they are a healthy, complex carbohydrate that will makes you feel fuller for longer.
Don’t Miss: Are Ice Cream Cakes Gluten Free
What Kind Of Rice Can I Eat On A Keto Diet
10 rice alternatives to try if you want to cut down on carbsRutabaga rice is a low-carb rice alternative you probably havent tried.
Cauliflower rice is a nearly perfect dupe for normal rice.
Shirataki rice is also known as miracle rice.Broccoli rice is a great way to get some extra green into your diet.
What Is Cream Of Rice
What Is Cream Of Rice?
What is cream of rice made of?Cream of Rice® is the trademarked name of Nabiscos version of a bland, coarse flour made from ground, uncooked rice. Its enriched with ferric phosphate , niacin, thiamine mononitrate , and riboflavin Uncooked, it has the consistency of fine sand.
Is cream of rice good for you? Overall, cream of rice is a healthy and nutritious energy source. It makes for a perfect meal for body builders and people with gluten allergies, among others who simply enjoy its taste and texture.
Is cream of rice the same as Rice? Cream of Rice is a bland, coarse flour made from ground, uncooked rice. Uncooked, it has the consistency of fine sand. Cream of Rice® is actually the trademarked name of Nabiscos version of it.
Recommended Reading: Are Bud Light Seltzers Gluten Free
Wondering Which Top Brands Of Rice Cereal Are Gluten
Celiac.com 11/17/2021 – Wondering which brands of rice cereal are gluten-free?
We get a lot of questions from celiac community members wondering if certain brands and products are gluten-free. One question we see a lot is about breakfast cereals. We did an article on top brands of gluten-free breakfast cereals, but the questions keep coming.
Celiac.com Sponsor :Lately we’ve seen a lot of people asking specifically about what are the top brands of gluten-free rice cereals?
The following rice-based cereals are gluten-free and safe for people with celiac disease.
365 by Whole Foods MarketWhole Foods makes a number of gluten-free products under the 365 brand, including:
- 365 Cereal Brown Rice Crisps
The Hot Cereal Buying Guide
- Always follow the cooking instructions listed on the hot cereals product packaging. Typically, youll need to pour the recommended amount of cereal and water in a pot and bring it to a boil. The addition of salt is always optional. Once the mixture is boiling, youll want to lower the heat and stir constantly to avoid the formation of clumps. After the recommended amount of cooking time, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit until the cereal has thickened. If you prefer to prepare the hot cereal in the microwave, combine the cereal and water in a microwave-safe dish and cook for the designated amount of time listed on the hot cereal box. Again, youll need to wait a few minutes for the cereal to thicken.
- When it comes to flavoring your hot cereal, there are an endless amount of possibilities. You can mix in a little brown sugar, vanilla extract or maple syrup. Perhaps youd like to top your hot cereal with banana slices, a handful of blueberries or some coconut flakes?
- Its important to note that the FDA doesnt regulate any health claims made by the companies that produce hot cereal.
- To compare hot cereal prices, you must first determine how much the company is charging per ounce. The Cream of Rice Gluten Free Hot Cereal and the Wheatena Toasted Wheat Hot Cereal are the most affordable. Moderately priced is the Cream Of Wheat Bananas & Cream Instant Hot Cereal with the HMR Multigrain Hot Cereal coming in at the highest price per ounce.
You May Like: Gluten Free Crescent Rolls
Homemade Cream Of Rice Cereal
If you grew up loving the cozy comfort of Cream of Wheat, this delicious homemade Cream of Rice Cereal is sure to warm your heart! Its a wonderful gluten-free alternative to the store-bought version and uses just a few simple ingredients.
This warm and tasty bowl is seriously comfort food at its very best.
Growing up, Cream of Wheat was one of my favorite foods. I remember the comforting feeling I would have just seeing the small red box. I loved diving into that bowl of creamy goodness topped with brown sugar, a little milk, and a dollop of margarine .
Since our family is gluten free and whole foods focused now, I havent had the boxed brand in decades. In fact, my kids have never tried the original Cream of Wheat since we’ve been gluten-free that long, and well, you know–the processed food thing.
One day, I realized why not make my own version?
So I did it, and now Cream of Rice Cereal is now a favorite in our house!
Its very soothing for an upset stomach, so its my kids go-to food when theyre sick. When they arent, its a simple but also special treat.
If you grew up loving Cream of Wheat like I did, youre going to love this gluten-free cream of rice cereal and your family will, too!
Making Homemade Cream Of Rice
To make this homemade cream or rice, you need to have a blender or a spice grinder (a food processor would also probably work, although I havent tried it. It order to make the rice cook into a thick, creamy porridge instead of normal run of the mill rice, use your blender to grind it into a gritty flour, sort of the texture of cornmeal. Its perfect if theres a little variation, with some of it more powdered and other pieces in larger chunks. Go slowly, stopping and checking frequently so you dont over blend it into all powder, and also dont have any full grains left either. You can do this step ahead of time, or in larger batches and store it in an airtight container for later.
After the rice is ground, you can make up the cereal. If you have vegan butter, add a little to a pot. The fat adds a delicious creaminess, but if you dont have it guess what- you dont need it. Same goes for the soymilk- you can use any type of plant based milk you have, and if you dont have it- use water. Add the rice to the pot, and add the water or vegan milk in slowly, stirring until its perfectly thick. After about 15 minutes of cooking, your cream of rice should be ready. Just taste occasionally while youre cooking after the first 10 minutes, and once its totally smooth and soft youre good to go!
You May Like: Gluten Free Alternative To Couscous
Is Cream Of Rice Gluten Free
4.7/5Cream of RicefreefreeglutenfreeCream of Riceglutenfree
Keeping this in view, what rice is gluten free?
Yes, all rice is gluten-free. This includes brown rice, white rice and wild rice. Even Asian or Sticky rice, also called glutinous rice, is gluten-free, despite its name.
Similarly, are rice and potatoes gluten free? The simple answer is yes potatoes are gluten–free. Gluten is a type of protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and other grains. Potatoes aren’t grains, they’re a type of starchy vegetable. This can cause uncomfortable symptoms like diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain whenever you consume gluten.
Additionally, is Cream of Wheat gluten free?
Cream of Wheat Brand Cream of Rice CerealBut Cream of Wheat now labels its Cream of Rice cereal gluten–free. This cereal is fortified with iron and three B vitamins. It’s considered gluten–free to less than 20 parts per million.
Is cream of rice good for you?
Choose the whole grain variety for more fiber and minerals. Cream of Rice is made from ground rice flour cooked in boiling water. It’s a bland, gluten-free cereal often used as a first food for infants. It’s naturally gluten-free and unlike other grains, contains all the amino acids that we need for good health.