Gluten In Skin Care Products Applied Topically Cannot Enter Your Bloodstream Through Your Skin
Gluten is used in some skin care products as a thickener, emollient, volumizer, moisturizer, or exfoliator. Using products containing gluten should not cause a typical systemic celiac reaction such as stomach pain, intestinal cramping, or nausea.
Why not? Science tells us that the gluten present in topical skin care products cannot be absorbed through the skin. The gluten particles are too large to enter your bloodstream or GI tract.
See what some trusted experts have to say on the topic:
Alessio Fasano, MD, Director of the Center for Celiac Research: Do you need to worry about gluten in Skin Care Products?
Gluten in skin care products could accidentally enter your internal system in some other way such as through your mouth when youre washing your hair and shampoo runs down your face. You certainly didnt set out to ingest your shampoo, but it could happen.
Best For Dry Skin: Plant Apothecary Get Happy Bodywash
Jojoba oil is a natural oil produced from the seed of the Chinensis plant, a drought-resistant shrub native to southern Arizona, California, and Mexico. It mimics natural sebum and conditions and seals moisture in the skin without clogging pores or exacerbating acne.
There are only eight ingredients in this gel-like cleanser, the first three being heavy-hitting hydrators: organic coconut, olive, and jojoba oil soaps. Rosemary and peppermint oils give it its refreshing scent, and it also works well as a bubble bath. FYI, because the formula is so natural, dont be alarmed if it turns slightly cloudy just give it a good shake or stick the bottle in some hot water.
Seaweed is a very powerful concentration of seawater and is able to uptake minerals by absorption and active transport from seawater. Because of these processes, some seaweeds have a dense concentration of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, and lipids, which all pose benefits for the skin.
This uses nine certified organic ingredients and is so pure that the Environmental Working Group gave it a toxicity score of zeroyoud be hard-pressed to find a formula thats squeakier clean than that. Its safe to use even if you suffer from eczema or psoriasis, and is so gentle that it works well for kids, too. Stash a bottle in your shower and let the whole family go to town.
Gluten Free Face Wash
- Arbonne runs the gamut for facial care with a cleanser or toner for almost any facial need.
- Ecco Bella products are all gluten-free. They have a fairly broad facial care line which contains not only cleanser , but toner and make up products that are also all gluten-free. Browse Ecco Bella products here.
- Pangea Organics carries not only gluten-free, vegan, and non-GMO facewash, but toner and other facial care items.
- Vanicream is an affordable option for sensitive skin. The formula is not only gluten-free, but free of other chemicals, such as sulfates, often found in skin care that can be harsh on the most sensitive skin.
Read Also: Are Heath Klondike Bars Gluten Free
Gluten Free Skin Care For Kids
- Arbonne produces a complete baby care line consisting of diaper rash cream, shampoo/body wash, baby lotion, and even 30 spf baby sunscreen. You can buy it together as a pack or the pieces individually.
- Brandless has a full line of gluten-free and fragrance-free baby care including diaper paste, baby lotion, baby shampoo and more!
- California Baby is natural skin care thats gluten-free and vegan and has so many great baby and kids products that you will love! Perfect for babies and children with sensitive skin. See their full skincare line here.
- Clean Kids Naturally is a line of skin care created by Gabriel Organics specifically formulated for kids with fun scents!
- Kiss My Face also has a gluten-free line for kidsmost of which is gluten-free Browse the kids line here.
South Of France Body Care
Rachel Di Martino March 22, 2021
South of France Products have been Certified Gluten-Free by the Gluten-Free Food Program since 2017, and the National Celiac Association endorses the GFFP certification program.
South of France® Natural Body Care was founded in 1999. Since then, it has become one of the top-selling brands of all-natural bar soaps and liquid hand soaps sold nationally. The original South of France soap formula was developed by a French expatriate in the US and manufactured in France using a traditional Marseille triple-milled recipe. Today, South of France® soap is manufactured in the USA, still kettle cooked in small batches using this traditional Marseille recipe with all natural vegetable ingredients.
South of France Natural Body Care is owned by two sisters, Molly & Katherine Oliver. As mothers, with a love of Provence and a legacy in natural products, we continue to expand the collection with scents that evoke happy memories of times spent wandering through small towns, picnic-ing in the countryside and playing with our children on the beaches along the Mediterranean sea. We look forward to transporting you with our luxuriously experiential products, even if only for a quick daydream in your pampering morning shower experience!
Read Also: Sabatasso’s Gluten Free Pizza
Dove Body Wash For Softer Skin Sensitive Skin Hypoallergenic And Sulfate Free Body
- Dove body wash gives you softer, smoother skin after just one shower, unlike your typical body soap or shower gel..
- Dove sensitive skin body wash is hypoallergenic, formulated to help sensitive skin feel softer and smoother..
- Formulated with dove’s nutriummoisture technology, this hypoallergenic body wash delivers skin natural nutrients, so your skin feels more moisturized than with body soap..
- This sulfate free body wash uses 100% gentle cleansers, making it a gentle body wash for dry skin..
- Mild and ph balanced, this cruelty free body wash helps maintain your skin’s natural moisture barrier and microbiome as you cleanse..
- Dove body wash is the #1 dermatologist recommended moisturizing body wash..
Why Switch To Gluten
Beside the obvious reason of removing gluten from your bathroom, many GF shampoos, especially the ones listed here are free of harsh chemicals, nature-based, and free from other allergens, including common shampoo and conditioner allergens. So if you are looking for something with ingredients you can pronounce and ones that wont make you sick, then switching to gluten-free shampoos and conditioners is a must.
What reliefs can I expect with GF shampoo and conditioner?
You can expect to not be glutend by your hair product as well as any symptoms you may have had when using gluten-containing shampoos or conditioners to get better and disappear altogether.
When can I expect results using gluten-free shampoo and conditioners?
It takes time to strip your hair of harsh chemicals and bring it back to its natural state. This stage is known as the detox period, and it can take 3-4 months before seeing results. However, your gluten symptoms should clear up within the first month or two of use. If not, make sure your reaction is not due to other common shampoo allergens such as fragrance, cetylstearyl alcohol, cocamidopropyl betaine or sulfates just to name a few.
Don’t Miss: Nothing Bundt Cakes Dairy Free
What To Look For
Gluten can’t be absorbed through the skin unless you have open lesions from dermatitis herpetiformis, a skin condition that can occur in celiac disease. The best way to determine whether gluten-containing ingredients were used to make a product is to read the label, which will carry a “gluten-free” designation if the product has been tested and found to be gluten-free.
There’s a chance you could ingest traces of gluten from a gluten-containing lotion if you use it on skin near your mouth or accidentally touch your mouth after moisturizing your hands with a gluten-containing lotion.
All skin products labeled “gluten-free” avoid certain ingredients such as wheat germ oil and hydrolyzed wheat protein, which are derived from gluten grains. Your options include gluten-free face moisturizers and gluten-free moisturizers with SPF protection .
As with other products, such as makeup and lip balm, many of the larger cosmetics companies are less likely to offer gluten-free moisturizers. In general, smaller companies as well as natural and organic brands will more commonly cater to the gluten-free community.
How Do I Find Gluten In Beauty Products
Reading skin care labels to locate gluten-containing ingredients is beyond difficult. There are just so many complicated ingredient names that are derived from gluten containing grains.
Some of the more common ingredients used in manufacturing skin care that contain gluten are:
- Avena sativa ,
- Hydrolyzed malt extract,
- Secale cereale seed flour,
- Triticum vulgare gluten ,
- and many, many, more!
Beyond directly containing gluten as ingredients, many skin care products are produced on machinery that also processes gluten!
With the difficulty that comes with understanding whether there is gluten in beauty products, it is MUCH easier to stick with brands who intentionally create their items to be gluten-free. Many of these companies even go the extra step to manufacture certified gluten-free skin care.
**Do you want to know more about what it means to for a product to be certified gluten-free?
Keep reading to see a list of trusted gluten-free skin care brands by category and where to buy them. I compiled this list for you by searching manufacturer websites for solid gluten-free manufacturing practices or certification and by contacting customer service directly.
Also Check: Kraft Italian Dressing Gluten-free
Where Do You Buy Gluten
There are many stores and boutiques that sell gluten-freeproducts. While your local drug store orbox store may sell some products, I find it much easier to shop for gluten-freepersonal care products online. Some ofmy favorite websites to shop for gluten-free personal care are:
- Amazon has almost everything you could ever want to find! Just be sure to check the product images to see if it has a direct gluten-free label on the product. If the product description on the page states gluten-free but you cannot find a label on the actual product, double check the manufacturer website to guarantee that the product is gluten-free.
- Arbonne.com Every product from Arbonne is labeled gluten-free and many are also certified gluten-free. Plus, all products are vegan certified. Learn more about Arbonne here.
- Thrive Market Thrive Market is an online specialty retailer that also makes it easy to search by specialty. The Thrive Market brand itself has many gluten-free skin care options and they are definitely a good deal, but the true perk of Thrive Market is that you can purchase name brands. Thrive Market is often cheaper than Amazon prices and always offers promotions and with each qualifying order you receive free samples of products.
Grab your FREE copy of Gluten-Free Made Easy!
Over 15 pages of essential resources for living gluten-free without the stress in an easy to use reference guide.
Dakota Free Baby Your Skin Baby Balm
Made by In the Potter’s Hand, a family-owned farm business, Dakota Free “Baby Your Skin” Baby Balm is all-natural and fragrance-free. The “Baby Your Skin” baby balm is gluten-free, latex-free, alcohol-free, paraben-free, dye-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, corn-free, shellfish-free, and fish-free. It’s vegetarian but not vegan , and contains a small amount of soy.
According to the company’s website: “Dakota Free Products…offer allergen tracking and full disclosure of all ingredients used in the manufacturing process. You may use these products confidently knowing that they were developed to help families stay healthy and offer comfort to people with allergies, autism, celiac disease, chemical sensitivities or skin problems.”
Ingredients include expeller-pressed safflower oil, North Dakota beeswax, organic jojoba oil, mixed tocopherols , organic grapefruit seed extract, and natural lavender oil. You also can order it without lavender oil directly from the company’s website.
Recommended Reading: Seltzers Gluten Free
What Is Gluten Free Soap
Here at Soapy Soap Co., we adhere to several quality standards for all products. These standards include: 100% vegan , halal , and cruelty-free . Todays post is all about one standard that often sticks out to our customers: Gluten-Free.
We’ve seen it many times at our market and festival booths- people see our sign mentioning that our soap is gluten-free, and they roll their eyes, saying “gluten-free soap?! Everyone is jumping on the gluten-free bandwagon” before walking away. Well, today we’re setting the record straight once and for all!
The topic of gluten-free soap quickly raises some questions: why should soap be gluten-free? Does soap typically contain gluten? Is this like advertising gluten-free water ? Not to worry, well answer all of these questions, and more!
Whats The Deal With Gluten
When our family first found out how common gluten is in skin care products, we had a really difficult time sorting through all the products on the market to find items that we could trust would be gluten-free.
Keep reading for the reasons why someone should switch to gluten free skin care , how to identify gluten in skin care, where to buy it, followed by a HUGE list of gluten free cosmetic brands that manufacture gluten-free skin care by category:
- Face & Body Wash,
- and Shaving Essentials.
Recommended Reading: Is Keto A Gluten Free Diet
You Can Get A Skin Reaction If You Ingest Gluten And Have A Gluten Sensitivity Or Celiac Disease
Some people break out in itchy bumps or blisters on their bodies after consuming gluten, a chronic skin condition known as Dermatitis Herpetiformis . DH is a skin condition of celiac disease caused by ingesting gluten that affects approximately 15% of people with celiac disease. DH is a dermatological external reaction, but does not result from topical contact with a substance. DH is often misdiagnosed as eczema.
Gastrointestinal symptoms and damage are often less severe in people with DH. A gluten-free diet is also the treatment for this form of celiac disease. A topical medication may be prescribed to treat DH a condition that is not always triggered by gluten. Iodine could trigger DH-related skin eruptions in some people but should not be removed from your diet before consulting your healthcare team.
Rugged & Dapper Shaving Cream
This shaving cream works for all skin types, whether sensitive, acne prone or dry. It is professional quality, ultra-lubricating and full of natural ingredients like aloe vera, sage oil, olive oil and sea buckthorn oil. The vegan, gluten-free product smells great and will leave skin feeling soft, smooth and nick-free. Shop here.
Learn more about the health and medical experts who who provide you with the cutting-edge resources, tools, news, and more on Gluten-Free Living.
Don’t Miss: Salad Dressing Types Kraft
Dove Body Wash 100% Gentle Cleansers Sulfate Free Renewing Peony Rose Oil Paraben
- Dove’s moisturizing body wash pampers skin with a rich, buttery formula and mouthwatering fragrance, leaving it softer and smoother than a shower gel.
- Peta-certified cruelty-free and made in 100% recycled bottles.
- Naturally derived cleansers and skin-natural nutrients not found in most body soap.
- Dove mango + almond butter creamy body wash for women combines the enticing scent of mango and the alluring feel of almond butter to pamper skin.
- The glowing formula in our women’s body wash works with skin long after you shower to reveal natural radiance and leave you with the all-day refreshing scent of mango.